What is up with Bass and no run up to kick off?

Niagara Dude

I was wondering this myself during the game. If my math is right the Titans average field position after a Bills kickoff was the 21 yard line. Gaining 4 yards of field position doesn't seem worth risking a big return (or TD), but that's just me. 

I like the idea of short directional kicks, but I think it works better when it's a surprise (like what the Redskins did to us). Don't do it on every single kickoff. 

38 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

Bills thought that kicking the ball short and making Titans return would lead to poor Titans field position. 

s

Strategy failed on Bills last kickoff and Titans started at 35. 

I don’t think it’s smart strategy. 

Titans had 2 straight drive starts at the 35.  One on a return, and the other due to a penalty on Poyer.

21 minutes ago, cDAVIS said:

It worked the entire game until one possession. They were constantly starting behind the 25

yep, avg 20 yards a return on the first 6. Started each drive inside the 25 and there was a hold on one of them, started at the 10.

Operation was a success but the patient died.

3 hours ago, pennstate10 said:

Bills thought that kicking the ball short and making Titans return would lead to poor Titans field position. 

s

Poor field position?  Titans' drive starts after Buffalo kickoffs:

Any other questions?

(The horrible, terrible, not very good MNF crew completely missed this.  I noticed that Bass was doing a 3 step kick on the opening kickoff and watched it all game.)

6 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Agreed.  And for a team that’s been as sloppy on special teams this season as this team has, just kick the ball out of the end zone.  

Exactly....besides Bass  our ST has been awful. Haack almost had another blocked. Kickoff  coverage in the 2nd half gave them amazing field position on 3 straight. 

Edited by LABILLBACKER

8 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

I would prefer he just kick it through the end zone

I wonder if you felt that way last week, especially on the kick where the KC returner fumbled. 

It's the smart play to get the opposition to return every kick. We have a really unique kicker who's able to basically lob kicks inside the 5 yard line. The Bills are absolutely right in their strategy. 

Edited by QB Bills

8 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

I was not impressed with every kick being short of the end zone and this helping the Titans get good field position. No run up to the ball before kicking off

He was told to kick short and force return. I thought that was obvious. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

I was not impressed with every kick being short of the end zone and this helping the Titans get good field position. No run up to the ball before kicking off

Obviously that was a strategy, not sure of the average drive start, but a number were not at the 25.  There was one in the fourth that got out to the 35

10 hours ago, pennstate10 said:

s

On average, they were starting around the 20 with a quick eye test. The 35 we can call an outlier. My guess, the potential for turnovers on kick returns played a factor as well. Allow me to add, their was no hold on McKenzies TD return. Number 9 literally blocked and threw him!

1 hour ago, Billsrhody said:

I personally loved this strategy. I would guess that 9/10 possessions for the Titans started at or before the 25. The lone exception being the one in the 4th quarter.

Hated the strategy.  Titans’ drives (Following a kickoff) started at the 

10 (due to titans penalty)

33 (due to bills penalty)

the only way you pin them deep is if they commit a penalty.  If you get them before the 25, it’s a negligible 1-6 yards behind it. Meanwhile, we give them 7 chances to return on deep or for a TD.  

Edited by Mantis
Typo

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.