Bills lost the game in the red zone

Bubba Gump

Yep.

To be honest - we've been weak in the red zone all season. 

Which is sorta why I'm not actually pissed at this loss.

Because - like last year - this was a "show me" moment that is gonna burn in the hearts of this team the entire bye week - and probably the rest of the season.

This? This loss *perfectly* highlighted some of the issues the wins have been glossing over; at a time when the players can learn, remember, and actually try to fix one or two of them. 

"King" Henry's boot running over three defenders.

A pass rush that wasn't.

Weakness on the Right side of the O-line. 

Josh not taking the easy shots when they are available...

~~~~

Nope - I think this was a nice humbling experience that will help the team going forward.

Still kinda sucks that we lost to Tennessee, but 4-2 into the Bye was about what I expected - so... eh?

Edited by LongTermBuffalonian
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

All QB miss open receivers.  He hit open receivers too, which is why we scored 31 points.

Which is usually enough to win, if your defense doesn't give up 34 points and fail to get even one stop in the 2nd half.

It is what it is. This thread is about redzone. Allen missed some things. Yeah it happens. We haven't been good in the redzone this year believe it or not. Probably the coach in me, this team can still get better on offense which is scary.

This had a super bowl 25 feel.  We left so many points on the field and were clearly the better team.  Coming off a 50 point win against the raiders then and now 4 straight blow-outs, it’s feels like you’re losing when you’re in a tight game even when you’re ahead.  We just didn’t play a disciplined football game last night.  If we tighten things up, we win that game by 2 TD’s.  

27 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

This had a super bowl 25 feel.  We left so many points on the field and were clearly the better team.  Coming off a 50 point win against the raiders then and now 4 straight blow-outs, it’s feels like you’re losing when you’re in a tight game even when you’re ahead.  We just didn’t play a disciplined football game last night.  If we tighten things up, we win that game by 2 TD’s.  

Yep.....  Just off all game.  Good learning experience I hope, but pretty much what you expect after looking unstoppable for 4 weeks.  Reality.....

2 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

The Bills lost the game on an unimaginative play call on 4th-1 from the 2-yard line.

This is just hindsight. As others have pointed out today, Josh Allen had been 13/14 on converting 4th and 1 QB Sneaks in his career, with the one failure being a botched snap situation a couple years ago. The QB sneak was a virtual lock to get the 1st down from a probability perspective. You would be crucifying Daboll and McDermott if they ran an "imaginative" play call like a jet sweep to McKenzie that gets stopped for a 5 yard loss. Just because it didn't work out doesn't make it the wrong call.

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Tommy said:

This is just hindsight. As others have pointed out today, Josh Allen had been 13/14 on converting 4th and 1 QB Sneaks in his career, with the one failure being a botched snap situation a couple years ago. The QB sneak was a virtual lock to get the 1st down from a probability perspective. You would be crucifying Daboll and McDermott if they ran an "imaginative" play call like a jet sweep to McKenzie that gets stopped for a 5 yard loss. Just because it didn't work out doesn't make it the wrong call.

This is true.

I wasn't worried one bit about this one.  Allen always gets a yard or so.  Unfortunately in a game where the middle of the line was getting abused, they got abused one more time.  They need to lick their wounds and remember this one for later in season, perhaps in the playoffs we will see them again.  It's a tough loss, but against a good team that appears to have our number.  Time to get it solved.

3 hours ago, Tommy said:

It was the wrong call.

Bills have one timeout and 22 seconds left.

Getting 1-yard there sets up first and goal and either a spike or timeout.

But then what would have followed are throws into the endzone, which is what I wanted to see before we ran the sneak on 4th-1.

Why not just run a regular play where Allen has option to run or pass?

Either way, Allen played his guts out for the Bills and I think the Coaching Staff let him down here.

14 hours ago, DapperCam said:

Agreed, team needs to figure out the red zone. Whatever running plays they are choosing aren’t working.

They are trying to be a more complete team. 

Problem is, we aren’t. 

inside the 15, I want the ball in Josh’s hands every time. He’s got a better chance to make something happen running or passing than anyone else.

30 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

It was the wrong call.

Bills have one timeout and 22 seconds left.

Getting 1-yard there sets up first and goal and either a spike or timeout.

But then what would have followed are throws into the endzone, which is what I wanted to see before we ran the sneak on 4th-1.

Why not just run a regular play where Allen has option to run or pass?

Either way, Allen played his guts out for the Bills and I think the Coaching Staff let him down here.

You don’t run a regular play because you need one yard.

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

They are trying to be a more complete team. 

Problem is, we aren’t. 

inside the 15, I want the ball in Josh’s hands every time. He’s got a better chance to make something happen running or passing than anyone else.

You don’t run a regular play because you need one yard.

A regular play gives you all the options, players in the end zone for the go ahead touchdown, or Allen can read and run. 

At best with the sneak you pick up the yard, then have to stop the clock and get into the end zone anyways.

4 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

A regular play gives you all the options, players in the end zone for the go ahead touchdown, or Allen can read and run. 

At best with the sneak you pick up the yard, then have to stop the clock and get into the end zone anyways.

One play vs 3. I just don’t agree. 

Who's out there to help?   We need to be able to run the ball down there and defenses are starting to key in on allen.   

We have great weapons but Beasley Diggs and sanders are most effective between the 20s.  

Need a downhill runner or a big target on outside to sure up the issues. 

The game was lost up front on both sides of the ball.  I think the coaches made a mistake from changing what was working on the defensive line by benching AJ and Boogie as we couldn't get sustained pressure up front and our O-line is still a work in progress.  For the first time since he's gone in, Brown looked like a rookie and, again, as much as I like the guy, Mongo is average at best and Dawkins is still struggling to regain his form on a consistent basis. 

I would love for Beane to take the Bye week and try to find us an upgrade at LG on the trade market.  I think as the season rolls along, Dawkins will get right and Mitch is having a pretty solid year at C.  Last night may not have been his best game, but he has been really good all year.  Williams is still adjusting at G, but hopefully he will be serviceable there and Brown continues to learn and get better.  While he's at it, maybe Bean can get us another CB as well.  Wallace has been a little better overall this season, but we can do better there as well.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.