I would have gone for it too!

Irv

12 hours ago, WhoTom said:

In that case, I'm good with the play call being "Let Josh decide" and I'm good with his decision. If he hadn't slipped, I could see him bouncing off and finding another hole, like he did against the Cowboys on Thanksgiving in 2019.

It was the wrong blocking scheme. I refuse to believe josh and the line dialed up what was the proper assignments for his run. 

I added this to another thread but if mongo and dawkins double in the hole and Morse just slightly impedes the DT… josh with some extra push from Sweeney can almost certainly fall forward. It’d be 3 v 2 at the point with two big dudes pushing behind the 3. 

instead dawkins was left to block a guy already inside of him (leans even further inside dawkins after this shot) which is a losing battle and leaves josh taking on an essentially unblocked lineman. 

plenty of people point to the push on the right… and that’s where the line seemed to scheme for this run. Josh and the line were essentially running two different plays if you ask me. 

81134A0F-E5A3-4B36-AFE9-FA21CFBE7874.jpeg

Need a second post to attach immediately post snap showing them shoot right instead of left creating a disastrous situation of josh running into the hole the defense would expect with no real blocker due to the DE starting inside Dawkins pre snap 

D73018B5-9FC7-4B42-A59B-A4A45D691153.jpeg

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 1

On 10/19/2021 at 12:59 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

We don't have anything wrapped up.

But in terms of analytics it was the correct call

I’d like to see exactly what those stats were based on. In general, I think going for it is the right call.  But I don’t see it in this particular case.  Even if Allen had made the first down we’d still have been on the two (ish), had to have used our last time out and only had 15 or 16 seconds left on the clock.    That would have substantially limited our playcalling.With a minute on the clock and all 3 time outs, easily yes, go for it.  With 22 seconds and 1 time out, no.  I would’ve had Allen try to draw the defense Offside, called our last TO and then kicked the FG.  

I see this game and the Cowboys/Pats games as really similar.  In both, the superior team failed numerous times to get touchdowns in the red zone, allowing the lesser team to stay in it.  Then, at the end, the Cowboys made bad decisions (and won) and the Bills made good decisions (and lost). It happens.  In the Pittsburgh game I was so annoyed because on 4th and 1 it was as if they said, "We have Josh Allen and so if we sneak him it'll work 98% of the time.....so let's throw it four yards backwards...they'll NEVER expect that."  We had a play that works most of the time, they ran it and the line got blown up and Josh slipped....it happens.

On 10/19/2021 at 7:11 PM, CodeMonkey said:

Love him for losing a winnable game?  But coaches need brains and guts, not just guts.

Eh, everything about that decision was the right call. Analytically speaking Josh was over 95% converting QB sneaks. I will take 95% over 50/50 of a coin toss. Coach McD saw his defense giving up huge chunks to Henry. 
Some of the people who give McD a hard time for this call are the same people who say he isn’t aggressive enough when he kicks a field goal from inside 10 yard line. 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Agree 3

On 10/19/2021 at 1:59 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

We don't have anything wrapped up.

But in terms of analytics it was the correct call

The reason the analytics are so good is that many of those sneaks come in really good circumstances, and again, this was a terrible circumstance for it.

Here's Tom Brady on the Manning Bros. Monday night show, at 3:00 on the video:

Eli: Quarterback sneak. You're one of the best at it. Did you all call those plays or are you checking to that at the line of scrimmage when you see one of the gaps open?

Brady: Sometimes there was a little of both. I obviously had the option to always do it. But at the same time, there was called ones. I believe that if they're all inside, go outside. If they're all outside, go inside. If they're all deep throw it short, if they're short, throw it deep.

Yeah, exactly. That's why sneaks succeed at a high rate. Many or most are run through a gap. That's not what we did. Brady goes on to point out the gap that Jameis runs a successful sneak through in the Saints - Seahawks game.

On 10/19/2021 at 12:11 AM, motorj said:

Except they called the most obvious play in the book instead of the doing something like the 2pt play earlier.

When you have the AFCE wrapped up you don't go for a qb sneak

If they called anything else and it didn't work then the narrative would have been Daboll gets too cute, they should have just ran a sneak that Allen picks up every time.

Our OL got absolutely blown up and Josh slipped, maybe as a result of seeing his linemen fall like dominoes backward towards him. Hey, it happens. 

It was the right call, it just didn't work. If we convert there and score the TD we win the game. If we kick and go to OT then it comes down to the coin toss, because we barely slowed them down the entire second half. 

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Our OL got absolutely blown up and Josh slipped, maybe as a result of seeing his linemen fall like dominoes backward towards him. Hey, it happens. 

It was the right call, it just didn't work. If we convert there and score the TD we win the game. If we kick and go to OT then it comes down to the coin toss, because we barely slowed them down the entire second half. 

Yeah call was right to go for it. imo I wish and was screaming at t.v for them to spread it out in shotgun for Josh instead of QB sneak, which is what the whole stadium knew was coming. Anyway, yup you're exactly right it happens. 

Guess we can't win em all LOL

To jump in late, I hated the Play at first. I was yelling at my TV “what are we doing, what are we doing?”

But several logical factors show that going for it was the best move.

1. Allen is like 88% effective on these plays.

2. The Titans offense scored on six (?) consecutive drives - they had our defense’s number.

3. Us winning in OT is not much more than 50%.
4. We have Josh Allen.

Right decision wrong play.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.