I would have gone for it too!

Irv

10 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

The Career average for the GOAT on 3/4th. & 1 is 96%!

Of course, you never do it stupidly like the Bills did!

You NEVER call a TO, allowing the D to get ready and set!

Billicheat learned that about the year 2000.

McD obviously has a way to go!

1995, Old School!

Well first of all you are assuming that was the playcall to do a sneak, which it wasn't.  McD said in those situations Allen has the ability to call his own number so to speak and he chose to do that.  

30 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

I'm good with the decision to go for it and I'm even okay with the play call. Remember in the Steelers game when they tried to get cute on a 4th and short? The right call then would have been a QB sneak, which Josh makes way more often than not, and that was, statistically, the right call last night.

As for kicking the FG and playing for OT, it comes down to a coin toss. Our D, which was gashed all night, was tired, so I could see them giving up a TD on the first drive if TN wins the toss. On the other hand, if the Bills win the toss, given our lack of red zone success last night, they may have only gotten a FG. Raw analytics say go for it, and the overall team performance last night reinforced that.

The playcall wasn't a sneak...that was Allen's decision. McD said postgame that in those situations Allen has the ability to do it if he thinks he sees something and he was perfectly fine with him doing it.

I would have preferred some type of fake sneak jump pass like they ran with Davis last year in the Seattle game I believe...likely would have caught the Titans off guard as they were expecting the sneak.

Edited by Big Turk

11 hours ago, DeltaDigital said:

100%. if you want to be a big dog, you have to play like a big dog. your 6'5' 250 qb should get 7 inches of grass every single effing time. Poor execution, and the o line are BUMS. 

Given their play all game to that point I was hoping we’d actually go from the shotgun to spread out the defense and give pass options to Josh before tucking to run if there. Liked the decision, hated the playcall. Our OL “couldn’t even block someone on Twitter” it was that bad.

• Like (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Love the advanced stats. 

If you want to look at "gut feeling" our OFF was playing great and the DEF was trash. I'd much rather trust my offense and Josh to score a TD in that situation than have the game come down to the OT coin flip. 

I think it was absolutely the right decision to go for it. I'm not sold on the play call, but tough to blame Daboll when his LT gets blown TF up and QB slips. 

For the umpteenth time...that wasn't Daboll's playcall.  That was a decision by Allen to run a sneak. McD said postgame in those type of situations, Allen is free to call his own number so to speak if he thinks he sees something and said he was fine with him deciding that.

Edited by Big Turk

9 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Well first of all you are assuming that was the playcall to do a sneak, which it wasn't.  McD said in those situations Allen has the ability to call his own number so to speak and he chose to do that.  

In that case, I'm good with the play call being "Let Josh decide" and I'm good with his decision. If he hadn't slipped, I could see him bouncing off and finding another hole, like he did against the Cowboys on Thanksgiving in 2019.

6 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

For the umpteenth time...that wasn't Daboll's playcall.  That was a decision by Allen to run a sneak. McD said postgame in those type of situations, Allen is free to call his own number so to speak if he thinks he sees something and said he was fine with him deciding that.

Not sure how 1 post in the entire thread mentioning that it was an Allen audible (which I'll note was posted AFTER my comment) qualifies as "umpteenth"?

All that does is shift more blame to Allen than Daboll. I still don't like the decision to go for a QB sneak out of a timeout like that. 

11 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I mean if you run that same play 100 times how many times does Allen not get a first down? Maybe that was the only time out of the 100?

His feet were caught up. Also not a good push combination by Feliciano and Morse.  It’s over.  Lots of other things should’ve happened to win that game and didn’t.  Onto Miami and they should be afraid, very afraid.

13 hours ago, Irv said:

We have the AFCE wrapped up. Why not?  Give the Titans a lot of credit.  They battled. We'll see them again. Great game to watch despite the outcome.  Not worried about them unless they get lucky again.    

Yeah, with a RB worth a crud. We desperately need an upgrade at the position. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Irv said:

We have the AFCE wrapped up. Why not?  Give the Titans a lot of credit.  They battled. We'll see them again. Great game to watch despite the outcome.  Not worried about them unless they get lucky again.    

I'd rather not see TEN again because I do worry about them a bit in terms of their style on offense being hard for our D to match. They would give us a game even at the Ralph in January but I'd take the Bills to win.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

14 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I'd rather not see TEN again because I do worry about them a bit in terms of their style on offense being hard for our D to match. They would give us a game even at the Ralph in January but I'd take the Bills to win.

They are a matchup nightmare. The game was closer because they had pressure on Tanny early yesterday, but after the D was gassed they LIT us up on the PA passing crossers. 

The way to beat Ten is to get an early lead. They are not equipped to play from behind. If we started that game 14-0 instead of 6-0 I think we win by 20. But if you let them pound you 20 times with Henry, your D WILL get exhausted, WILL get sucked into PA’s and fail to sustain a pass rush. 

Tanny had a sub 50% completion percentage until the mid third Q. Hes not a superstar QB but he’s smart and competent. 5 seconds to throw and a clean pocket and he will find the open guy. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

I agree with going for it.

Think I read in past 10 times Allen needed to gain less than one yard for a 1st, he got the 1st down every time.

However the biggest reason I'd have gone for it as if we kick the FG to tie, IMO the winner of the game likely will come down to a coin flip as good chance whichever team won the toss would go down the field and score a TD.

Having said that, if the Bills had got the 1st down, they'd very likely had to have then called their last TO so would have 1st and goal with about 19 seconds left.  Could have run 2 maybe 3 plays before either kicking or again going for it on 4th down. Every play would have to have been a pass, and Allen can not take a sack.  Allen could have rolled out if he saw an absolute wide open path to end zone take off or throw it out of end zone.

11 hours ago, Big Turk said:

The playcall wasn't a sneak...that was Allen's decision. McD said postgame that in those situations Allen has the ability to do it if he thinks he sees something and he was perfectly fine with him doing it.

I would have preferred some type of fake sneak jump pass like they ran with Davis last year in the Seattle game I believe...likely would have caught the Titans off guard as they were expecting the sneak.

I'm not doubting what you heard, but can you provide any guidance as to when/where you heard that?

I listened to McD's postgame presser and to McD's presser today, and I did not hear that.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.