10/18/21 Gameday Bills @ Titans Postgame thread

Chandler#81

2 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

If Dawkins doesn't let Simmons eat his lunch and dance with his woman on that play Allen makes it even if he slips.

It still looks like Allen just ducked his head down and blindly tried to dive forward vs seeing where his Oline had given him enough push to get the 1st down.

I'm not going to say Josh Allen played poorly. On the other hand I will say Allen was not at the top of his game when we needed him to be IMO.

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Figster said:

It still looks like Allen just ducked his head down and blindly tried to dive forward vs seeing where his Oline had given him enough push to get the 1st down.

I'm not going to say Josh Allen played poorly. On the other hand I will say Allen was not at the top of his game when we needed him to be IMO.

That's kind of the play. You literally get a fraction of a second to move forward. Any longer and typically you have LBers flying to the play. Those pushes and holes close quickly atound the goal line 

See, he doesn't get the benefit of taking his time and watching on a slow motion replay from his couch. These plays have to happen fast. Dawkins (and Feliciano) failed miserably to get the push the play called for. Picking that side is not on Allen...it's squarely on Simmons wanted to make the stop more than Dawkins wanted to stop him from doing it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, No Place To Hyde said:

That's kind of the play. You literally get a fraction of a second to move forward. Any longer and typically you have LBers flying to the play. Those pushes and holes close quickly atound the goal line 

See, he doesn't get the benefit of taking his time and watching on a slow motion replay from his couch. These plays have to happen fast. Dawkins (and Feliciano) failed miserably to get the push the play called for. Picking that side is not on Allen...it's squarely on Simmons wanted to make the stop more than Dawkins wanted to stop him from doing it.

Give the ball to a RB then who is more accustomed to hitting the hole made available fast.

I understand where your coming from though, it was bang , bang,

Game over...

• Eyeroll 1

42 minutes ago, Figster said:

It was a poor call IMO.

I think it was the right decision to go for it, but did not like the sneak call considering our OL got stuffed on a prior sneak and they were losing the war in the trenches.

There is a lot of factors for coaches to process in a short span of time with emotions running high and far easier for us to disect those decisions later.

I like that McD said he trusts his players. Coaches need that connection and player loyalty, but at the same time he mentioned in his presser that part of his decision to go for it rather than tie it up was that his defense was not getting it done.... I agree - they weren't. 

So....trust only goes so far as coaches have to evaluate in-game performance and matchups week to week and I would not have been optimistic about our OL getting it done.

Perhaps he thought that #17 could miracle something where blocking fell short... that I can get.

In more positive news the Bills record streak of leading at the half remains intact. Borrowed this excerpt from a site:

"The Bills (4-2) extended their NFL record of leading at halftime to 15 consecutive games. But their defense, which came in allowing a league-best 12.8 points a game, gave up a season high in points.

Allen finished with 353 yards and three TDs. His third was a 1-yarder to Tommy Sweeney in the final minute of the third quarter, and Allen caught a pass from tight end Dawson Knox for the 2-point conversion and a 31-24 lead.

With his 29-yard TD pass to a wide-open Cole Beasley just before halftime, Allen passed Aaron Rodgers with 108 combined TDs in his 49th start. Rodgers had 107 TDs for what had been the most by a quarterback in his first 50 starts since the NFL merger."

Edited by WideNine
  • Shocked 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Figster said:

Of course he did. He’s done it 99 times, successful all but 1. Whazzamatterwichoo?

Josh isn’t changing just for you. I suggest finding another team to root on for the next 15 years.

Your mental health is at stake.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1

21 minutes ago, WideNine said:

It was a poor call IMO.

I think it was the right decision to go for it, but did not like the sneak call considering our OL got stuffed on a prior sneak and they were losing the war in the trenches.

There is a lot of factors for coaches to process in a short span of time with emotions running high and far easier for us to disect those decisions later.

I like that McD said he trusts his players. Coaches need that connection and player loyalty, but at the same time he mentioned in his presser that part of his decision to go for it rather than tie it up was that his defense was not getting it done.... I agree - they weren't. 

So....trust only goes so far as coaches have to evaluate in-game performance and matchups week to week and I would not have been optimistic about our OL getting it done.

Perhaps he thought that #17 could miracle something where blocking fell short... that I can get.

In more positive news the Bills record streak of leading at the half remains intact. Borrowed this excerpt from a site:

"The Bills (4-2) extended their NFL record of leading at halftime to 15 consecutive games. But their defense, which came in allowing a league-best 12.8 points a game, gave up a season high in points.

Allen finished with 353 yards and three TDs. His third was a 1-yarder to Tommy Sweeney in the final minute of the third quarter, and Allen caught a pass from tight end Dawson Knox for the 2-point conversion and a 31-24 lead.

With his 29-yard TD pass to a wide-open Cole Beasley just before halftime, Allen passed Aaron Rodgers with 108 combined TDs in his 49th start. Rodgers had 107 TDs for what had been the most by a quarterback in his first 50 starts since the NFL merger."

It hurt, but I'm ok with the loss. (Liked going for it on 4th) I think Buffalo learned valuable lessons about the Titans and how losing the battle in the trenches needs to help dictate the play call. 

The Buffalo Bills and Josh Allen will continue to improve in the process...

Nice posting...

Edited by Figster
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Of course he did. He’s done it 99 times, successful all but 1. Whazzamatterwichoo?

Josh isn’t changing just for you. I suggest finding another team to root on for the next 15 years.

Your mental health is at stake.

I suggest you go back and read Haps post in Virgils thread.

So getting knocked off the line of scrimmage throughout the game means nothing.

Awesome...

Here let me help

Again, this goes to my point - if you don't like the Baysian probability thing, call it macro-probability (overall success against any team we've played) vs micro-probability (probability of success given in-game observations against this specific opponent in this game).

IMHO the overall analytics need to be modified to account for new in-game information of how the OL is performing against this team on this day.

Edited by Figster
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Let's face it, the NFL screwed the Bills by scheduling them in back to back prime time road games against hated rivals.

It's almost like the NFL wanted to punish the Bills for the Titans COVID crap last year.

Go figure.

thought the same thing...

49 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Let's face it, the NFL screwed the Bills by scheduling them in back to back prime time road games against hated rivals.

It's almost like the NFL wanted to punish the Bills for the Titans COVID crap last year.

Go figure.

I think it is just a product of our success. You see a lot of the good teams every year playing back to back prime time games against top tier opponents. That’s what NFL fans want to see. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I think it is just a product of our success. You see a lot of the good teams every year playing back to back prime time games against top tier opponents. That’s what NFL fans want to see. 

So its all our fault then,

Hate it when that happens...

• Haha (+1) 2

5 hours ago, njbuff said:

Go figure.

cmon… that’s sone conspiracy-theory level stuff right there

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Going to be a long 2 weeks, but thought perhaps we could pass the time taking a more forensic look at the game and what things we could do better in the red zone.

I know fans get a bit grumpy during these kinds of breaks after our team loses, but feel free to critique or provide alternate analysis or better play options. I am just going to do one and see how it goes. If I get skewered, I will just wait out the days till our next game.

A recurring theme throughout the game was Allen not looking for receivers short of the sticks when he is scrambling. He hits short passes that are designed to be quick hitters off play action and such, but he still has a penchant to look deep-to-shallow, rather than shallow-to-deep when scrambling facing a 2-deep zone.

When faced with 2-deep zones he needs to retrain his mind and understand that just about every receiver the Bills have can take a short pass and turn it upfield to gain the 1st down needed. He needs to know where all those options are each time he takes off and be willing to use them. I think because he is able to overcome this so often with super-human efforts it tends to be overlooked as a weakness in his game.

He is already a great QB, but if he gets this one thing down the sky is the limit.

1st Red Zone opportunity that did not work out.

• 2nd and 6 in the red zone and we bring out Moss - the Titans play run all the way with 8 in the box. Knox pulls to the left and badly misses his backside block, but it is not much of a factor as Moss hits his hole and is left facing two defenders with no blockers and still manages to gain 3 yards. Mongo gets a face full of hand that is pretty blatant, but no call - not a factor in the play and as long as they let that go both ways I am fine with the trench warfare.
  • 3rd and 3 - 12 personnel 2x1 set with Knox on the line on the left along with Sanders and Diggs split out. Beasley is split out wide on the right.
  • Allen initially looks to Beasley, but I don't think that was where the play intends to go. Play is a rub route with Knox releasing inside out and Sanders to provide the rub, but there were issues.
  • Sanders drives his defender too deep and allows the defender covering Knox to easily stay with him. If Knox bends his route earlier rather than driving and breaking sharply out he could have created more space too with the rub traffic.
  • Also I am not sure if this is by design, but Diggs slows down at the marker when I think it would have worked better if he drove to the back corner of the end zone. TN had no one behind these defenders and it would have cleared out the area or left Diggs alone if his defender comes up on Knox.
  • I am not sure how to get image files smaller, but basically Josh is locked onto Knox, but with the tight coverage ends up holding onto the ball, scrambling, then "dirting" it to avoid a sack.
  • Not a bad play, but with some tweaks and better execution this goes for at least a 1st or maybe a TD.

redzone-fail1-2.PNG

redzone-fail1-4.PNG

Edited by WideNine

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.