10/18/21 Gameday Bills @ Titans Postgame thread

Chandler#81

17 minutes ago, x-BillzeBubba said:

Fix the redzone O, we win that game easy

Reasonable thing to say.

On the other hand, the offense still scored 31 points, and the defense couldn't stop a nosebleed.

Hard to put the entire loss on the offense's red zone shortcomings.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, WideNine said:

This.

I was ok with how the middle of the dline played for the most part.

Without more early scoring from the offense we could not "cheat" towards leaving the run to our front 4 on 3rd downs and playing the pass/doubling Brown.

We were too susceptible to play action in the second half which is exactly the Titan's game with Henry.

Us older fans with some grey in our hair remember how a KC team was built around their Nigerian Nightmare RB Christian Okoye. A bruising runner whose style reminds me of Henry.

He and Bills MLB Shane Conlan had some epic collisions.

The one drawback to building your team around one player though is the drop off when they get dinged. RBs take a lot of hits - realistically the Titan's offense (as it is built today) likely has a small window to win it all.

Tennessee has no one on their bench that defenses will scheme for like Henry.

Agree. Titans as well as using play action or fake handoffs to have the d bite bad on it (cause of Henry). Early scoring pretty much does that. But Titans might still run the ball they know still lots of time left in a way.

Edited by Buffalo Bills Fan

29 minutes ago, Logic said:

A few thoughts:

- There is blame to go around for this loss. It's reasonable to say that the offense should have scored more TDs and less FGs, or that Josh failed to see open checkdown options a time or two. It's also reasonable to say that when your offense scores 31 points, you should win the game. The defense couldn't stop a nosebleed the entire second half, so they certainly deserve a big share of the blame, too.

- Even with all that the offense and defense could have done better, the Bills still drove the ball down the field at the end and were six inches away from a 1st and goal with 20 seconds left. 

- I can't help but wonder if Knox going out with injury ultimately cost the Bills the game. On the 4th quarter drive where Allen failed to throw to the wide open Tommy Sweeney in the flat and the Bills ultimately wound up punting...I just wonder if things would have been different had Knox been in the game. No sense in wasting too much time wondering, though. What happened, happened.

- Credit where credit is due: That was a gutsy, impressive win by an undermanned Titans squad that had faced a couple devastating on-field injuries to key players. Vrable's cute little punt return lateral troll attempt was lame, and I'm glad that it didn't work. Other than that, I can only tip my cap to the Titans for going blow for blow with the Bills, digging deep, and finding a way to pull out the win. 

- I'm with McDermott 100 times out of 100 on that decision to go for it on 4th. Analytics and common sense both tell me it was the right call. I also have no problem with the QB sneak being the playcall there. Josh gets those better than 90% of the time. It wasn't the Xs and Os that cost the Bills this game, it was the Willies and Joes. Execution wasn't up to snuff, period.

- It's been said by others, I'm sure, but it sure does feel to me like the Bills sort of needed this loss. To lose the way they lost, right before the bye week (just like last year)...it seems like this was the type of adversity, the type of rallying cry, the type of "re-set and re-focus" loss that this Bills roster often thrive on. Instead of spending the next two weeks hearing how they're Super Bowl favorites, they'll spend the next two weeks with a sick feeling in their stomach, knowing that execution cost them a winnable game.

You hate to say they needed a loss, but it would have been easier for players to gloss over the areas of poor execution in this game had they managed to pull out a win at the end.

I think it is just human nature to want to move on when things work out in the end even though you were screwing up and crapping the bed along the way.

If last year's hail Murray is any indication, the pain and humility of this loss should keep them motivated and laser-focused on what improvements need to be made over their bye week.

That goes for the coaching staff too, though some time away will be good for Dabs.

• Like (+1) 2

51 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Can someone with offensive line knowledge start a "Morse Report"?  

Joe B was glowing about Morse in his podcast from the Monday after the Chiefs win. Morse was responsible for the one early sack last night. He needed to stay engaged with lineman because Feliciano was working with another one. 
Morse is very solid and is a better pass blocker than run blocker. Morse does well in space walking off but struggles moving interior d tackles. Besides Dawkins, Morse is the best lineman and then it’s a drop off. Brown will be very good and should be a stalwart on the line for 10 years.  Both guard spots are average at best. But this is what happens, you can’t have all pro’s everywhere and unfortunately Ford looks like a bust. 
This was a great loss from the standpoint that the staff and players will evaluate everything just a bit more critically than had the Bills blown out Tenn. Oline needs to play more physical when needed. I know Spencer Brown has that mentality and the physical talent to back it up. Everyone else? Not sure. We have seen it in spurts, needs to come together more consistently. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It seemed clear to me where the ball was when Allen's elbow hit the ground - was not a call I liked, but it was the right call. Like so many plays and decisions that fell just a tad short last night.

At least the NFL and networks know that the Bills will usually give them one hell of an entertaining prime time game.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Dude, it all starts up front.  If a QB has time to stand in, he has time to scan the field and see receivers.  If he's running full tilt his vision is limited. Can you reasonably think Josh Allen had time to scan the field and see receivers last night?

Also, 31 points IS a TON.  The problem wasn't that we didn't put up a ton of points, the problem is that our defense allowed the Titans to put up a ton-plus.  If we allow the opponent 34 points every week, we won't win many games.

And don't forget that the defenses inability to get the Titan's off the field probably cost the O another 2 possessions.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, mannc said:

Can't argue with this, but as I said in the gameday thread, Josh was a bit off last night.  On a lot of his throws, the ball was not coming out of his hand clean.  I have no explanation for it, but I've seen that happen to him before. 

Maybe he was off due to their D and our OL being unable to fully handle them. But this was a similar situation to the Steelers game with the difference being a far better performance from Allen this time around. That is improvement and progress. Not every QB, including Allen, is going to get 3 seconds to scan the field from the pocket, in every game. Allen did the best he could. 31 points is good enough against an aggressive D. But our own D continually allowed scoring drive after scoring drive in the second half. Even after the Titans lost a key piece on their OL in Lewan. 

Edited by Fan in Chicago
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

I now officially have a least favorite number and it's 21.8

Give me the SNF NBC broadcast every time over the MNF crew, call Allen 'Tannehill' one more time....

The Monday  night crew must have eaten a little too much Nashville hot chicken for dinner. That stuff is HOT!!!  Maybe indulged in a bit of Tennessee bourbon as well?  

Must be some reason for calling him Tannehill multiple times.  Not as bad as Brady but still insulting to us Bills fans.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.