10/18/21 Gameday Bills @ Titans Postgame thread

Chandler#81

3 minutes ago, klos63 said:

We have a good offensive line, not a great one.  How many RB's around the league do you fear?

we don't have a good OL.  A good OL gets a first down on at least one short QB sneak.  Ours was getting blown up all night.  

I think you have to game plan for any of the RB's on several teams (Henry, Eckler, Elliott, Taylor, Jones, Robinson, Harris, Hunt, Mixon, Swift, Cook, Montgomery).  Just to anme a few that would be better than the guys on our team and that DC's have to pay attention to.  Our RB's pose no threat to an opposing D.  

Edited by RyanC883
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

But this is a fan forum.  This isn’t an impartial, passionless dissection of a random MNF game. When you grow up, you might understand that. 

Huh? Growing up involves being both a fan of the team and a fan of good, entertaining football. That game had everything. I effing HATE the Bills' squandered opportunities and the broadcast-led national ball chugging of Derrick Henry, but that was a classic battle. 

8 minutes ago, klos63 said:

So we who wanted to kick were wrong?

Problem was you're then leaving it up to a coin toss. 

If Titans win the toss, they're scoring. We saw drive after drive as they easily matched down the field. 

Seems like McDermott thought it was better to control your own destiny. Don't leave it up to chance. I don't disagree with the call considering how short the distance was.

• Like (+1) 1

Call on the field was a 1st down. Upstairs overturned the call on the field. It would have needed to be clear and obvious. And then there’s no measurement. If Lamar was stopped at that situation, there would be a 20 minute game delay to view it in 40 different angles and to use calipers, micrometers, scientific calculators and slide rules to find out if Lamar makes the first down.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Richard Noggin said:

Allen had ONE bad drive, late in the game, where he stopped taking what the D gave him and got greedy (the bad 3-and-out). He could've climbed the pocket and run or found Sweeney to the right flat wide open when instead he drifted right into pressure and got sacked. That was old school, inexcusable Josh play. And put us behind the sticks.

Otherwise he was mostly a stud. 

Show me a QB that doesn't have a bad series in a half?  The expectations for Allen by a small group of "fans" is bizarre IMO.  Honestly I think it's coming from the "wrong Josh" crowd that still can't get over the fact that Allen is actually an elite franchise QB.

I did not catch the full game, but from what I saw the inability to cover Brown was a major factor in the second half. I know that Henry broke a big one, but they often tightened up and contained him for a series only to give up the pass conversion. Oddly, it seemed like deja vu from the offensive strategy they had last year.

The defense got them into multiple 3rd down situations and a few 4th down situations, but Leslie often followed that up with a conservative zone coverage that left the middle of the field open consistently at the sticks with Wallace often trailing the receiver - Tanny seemed to look his way a lot. Coaching-wise, I would have preferred to see some more aggressive moves to man coverage on 3rd down with perhaps some more pressure and blitzes in Tanny's face up the middle and more arms up to knock passes down.

It's always a gamble can Wallace cover Brown 1 on 1 long enough for a blitz to get to Tanny?  What they were doing in coverage was not working. After a loss you think about missing pieces and a legit CB2 that can play lock down man opposite White and some beef on the inside of our lines to move bodies a bit better would not hurt. I thought Allen had plenty of time to get rid of the ball, so I am not super down on our OL -  have to work to avoid the overreaction to a loss. I thought that the Titans OL and DL were doing a lot of Shenanigans that should have drawn a flag for drawing our guys Offside. A lot of head jerking and jumping off the line thinly disguised as motion and defensive players jumping forward encroaching on their line shifts...

Hughes seems to be less and less a factor in games and he seems to often take himself out of the play at DE by desperately taking an inside move against his blocker and just ends up losing contain on the edge when he does it. I was a bit frustrated watching him, but he has been a good player for us for a long time so he gets a pass. I am glad OBD has invested in a youth movement on our defensive front it will pay off as those guys get more playing time.

Don't know if I like the last few calls - Allen had Beas in the back of the end zone on his roll out to the left, but I saw the bull lower his horns and we know how our Josh can get and he was determined to single-mindedly run through a wall himself to get the 1st. He comes through more often than not with those, and he is getting better when he takes off at looking to see if he can loft passes over the approaching defense to uncovered receivers and RBs behind them. He will continue to grow, and his threat to drive to the sticks creates those opportunities behind the defense.

Daboll needs to re-think his QB sneak as teams are stacking/blitzing/stunting the gaps to the left of the center where Josh always goes. Time to draw up a sneak to the right of the center. I did like the razzle-dazzle that setup the pass to Allen from Knox.

Titans are always a tough match-up for us and this game was balanced on the knife's edge, but honestly tired of losing to these clowns. And we have to have that taste in our mouths for weeks now.

We could have gone for the sure 3 and if we lost the toss we would have had to trot our tired defense that the Titans just ran through like wet tissue paper on their last possession. McD decided to trust that our OL and Allen could move the ball a bit over a foot. Titan coaches had that QB sneak well defended (twice - so it was not like that play was clicking for us... ).

Our coaching staff are going to have to do some self-scouting on why they decided to go back to the well on that sneak play. The Titans were selling out to stop the sneak so our coaching staff need to come up with some better options out of that set that penalize teams that are willing to sell out to stop it.

Sucks to say good game, but we did not embarrass ourselves and had 2-3 legit shots to win it with the clock winding down. One could say we were a weak holding call away from probably winning that game.

Edited by WideNine
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Was he wrong to have no confidence in the defense? Lol I think you can definitely make a case for either decision but going for it with your offense is not the 'weak' decision imo I think in his press conference he was absolutely f***** livid that joshs scranble the play before the 4th down got ruled a first down by the refs then 'changed' without an official review  and didn't want to lose his mind 

Yes he was wrong to not have confidence in the defense. The defense has pitched two shut outs. 

It’s his specialty, his guys, and his fault. Every drive is a new one and he stopped trying to make adjustments. He might have lost some of the defense after tonight.

• Disagree 2

2 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson said:

Call on the field was a 1st down. Upstairs overturned the call on the field. It would have needed to be clear and obvious. And then there’s no measurement. If Lamar was stopped at that situation, there would be a 20 minute game delay to view it in 40 different angles and to use calipers, micrometers, scientific calculators and slide rules to find out if Lamar makes the first down.

Exactly...im glad other people are saying this.  Credit to McDermott for not blowing his stack in the press conference.  I think it was probably the 'right' call but if it had followed the official on the fields call gets reviewed upstairs process I dont think it would've been clear enough to overturn the first down ruling.  Something hokey happened where they changed the call on the field

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, klos63 said:

We have a good offensive line, not a great one.  How many RB's around the league do you fear?

Alot more than our 2. If we don't find a better run game somehow we're not winning a SB. I said this last year and I'll say it all this year. If the game is close our run game vanishes. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

we don't have a good OL.  A good OL gets a first down on at least one short QB sneak.  Ours was getting blown up all night.  

I think you have to game plan for any of the RB's on several teams (Henry, Eckler, Elliott, Taylor, Jones, Robinson, Harris, Hunt, Mixon, Swift, Cook, Montgomery).  Just to anme a few that would be better than the guys on our team and that DC's have to pay attention to.  Our RB's pose no threat to an opposing D.  

You fear Swift? Harris? We shut him down easily. I don't fear Montgomery or Robinson, but he's good. I think if Moss played more, teams would have to watch him more than they do know.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

It really doesn’t matter though. We have no answers for a team like Tampa. Tampa is a better version of Tennessee, minus Henry, but they are competent enough in the running game. KC is a good RB away from being to good to beat as well. The only way we win a super bowl is to get better on the line and get a RB. 

Brady has an erection after watching edmunds and Milano tonight. Play action, Godwin across the middle, wash rinse repeat.

Just now, GETTOTHE50 said:

Yes he was wrong to not have confidence in the defense. The defense has pitched two shut outs. 

It’s his specialty, his guys, and his fault. Every drive is a new one and he stopped trying to make adjustments. He might have lost some of the defense after tonight.

Dude are you trolling? 

The defense had given up points on seven drives in a row lmao 

Just now, LABILLBACKER said:

Alot more than our 2. If we don't find a better run game somehow we're not winning a SB. I said this last year and I'll say it all this year. If the game is close our run game vanishes. 

Maybe, but this game was close and we went right down the field on the last drive and would have tied the game on the 2 minute(3 minute) drive.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.