10/18/21 Gameday Bills @ Titans Postgame thread

Chandler#81

Yeah, definitely put this L on the defense, but let's not forget...

The Titans have one of the best RBs ever. He's about to lead the league in rushing for the third straight season. That has only been done by 4 backs in history: Steve Van Burren, Jim Brown, Earl Campbell, and Emmitt Smith---all of whom are in the Hall of Fame. His three year stretch is better than Terrell Davis' 3-year stretch that got him into the Hall. This guy is a shoo-in HOFer.

They also have Julio...first ballot HOFer; A.J. Brown who is a bonafide stud receiver (2,126 yds and 20 TDs in his first two years in the league); and an above average QB.

That is a very talented team we just played, in their building, looking for a statement win with their two returning stud receivers going up against "the best team in the AFC" as we were being called. They were highly motivated. I thought the Bills would pull it out, but it's not like we were playing against scrubs by any means. So I'm not going to be too hard on the defense.

It was a great game and we came up inches short. I was 60/40 on kicking the field goal at the end, but don't fault McD at all for going for the win. A couple years ago, people were saying they wish McDermott would have more of a killer instinct and not play it safe. Well he was aggressive and we lost.

Honestly, no shame in this loss. Very disappointing, but in the long run, probably not that big a deal (unless home field comes down to us and Tenn at the end of the year). Once again, this loss will keep the team humble and hungry throughout the bye week and not buy into their own hype. Go rest, retool, and come out guns blazing the rest of the season.

Just wish we could have gotten the win to rub the stupid "Homerun throwback" attempt in Vrable's face. What an arrogant Fn call. 

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

'Scuse me.  Did our D get one single solitary stop on the Titans in the 2nd half?  I think that fact may have some applicability when assigning responsibility.

I'm not understanding the hate on Allen, we can't expect him to cover the deficiencies on defense. Allen did his job and then some, I have no issue with him. Biggest issue I have was Poyer being wrapped up on Henry's long TD run

I think it was a Brendan Staley interview in the off season that I listened to, his over all thoughts were that you need to trust analytics a lot but then there will be times you go against it and should have no issue doing so. Because each game has different flow and each game has different teams and situations. Mentioned that when you are moving the ball at will take a more conservative approach. When you are out matched take an aggressive approach 

Coaches need to read the game

Just now, Big Blitz said:

It was striking watching Henry run then our guys - nothing against them they're OK.  And Henry will do that to most.

But....we have below average running backs defenses don't respect.  That's why we have had red zone issues - they aren't biting on fakes.  

And Knox....I'm just waiting for the broke hand 8 weeks news.  

I might have a hot take here but I think our rbs do pretty well considering they get 0 running lanes.  Our offensive line had a good year pass blocking last year but they were bad run blocking and in a cap reduced year we really didn't have the opportunity to do a complete offensive line rebuild.  You could plop Derrick henry on our roster and he ain't going for 100+ in a game 

1 minute ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

Maybe with 3 timeouts that's is possibly the right call... but the playbook would've been limited, and a TD was far from guaranteed in that situation, especially given the Offenses shortcomings earlier in the game in similar down and distance. 

People are acting as if it was goal to go.  He was only picking up another chance or two at a score before potentially still having to settle for a FG, not worth the risk when you factor all that.

Also, there is still a 50% chance Buffalo wins the flip, who's to say Titans ever get the chance to see the field???

I like Josh and the offense's odds against a depleted Titans defense to go right back out there and score if they had won the flip and got the ball right back...

Even if they don't, if I'm McDermott, I still have to have faith in my defense to atleast hold Tennessee to a FG should they win the flip.

Did you see our defense this evening? If Titans had won the toss we would have lost anyway.

Edited by UKBillFan
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

If the defense isn't good enough, don't you go for the Win?

It's a tough decision. You got to think sooner or later the D would make a big stop. It just didn't happen in the 2nd half, they couldn't get Tenn off the field or Tannehill on the ground. 

49 minutes ago, Success said:

The best loss I've ever experienced.

You play to win the game. I would like to congratulate coach McDermott for not retreating into a shell, and for showing that this team is all in.

Great take , unlike the people that want them to kick it. Playing not to lose never is a good look.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, buffalonian said:

Man, this place is a wasteland following a tough Bills loss.

Allen was clearly not the reason for the loss. It’s unfathomable that some folks see it otherwise. 

not sure anyone is blaming Allen for the loss (perhaps I'm just missing it), but he did not have his best game.  He usually sees WR's, esp. Sanders, open in the endzone.  

Any why should people be happy after a loss when the team overall played like garbage.  We played a defense that was totally injured, esp. at CB, and all-pro WR's can't make plays because we are now running the ball?  The D can't stop their WR's in man coverage, and Henry is a beast, but come on, we made him look even better.  

• Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

What the Hell are you talking about, son?? 358 yrds passing, 3 TD passes and he caught a touchdown! 
Off game?? Jesus Christ!

It’s felt like Allen was struggling tonite, his passes tonite were very wobbly. I don’t know if it was Monday nite football pressure or just a bad game but the ball did not spin out of his hand tonight like it usually does. 

Just now, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

It’s felt like Allen was struggling tonite, his passes tonite were very wobbly. I don’t know if it was Monday nite football pressure or just a bad game but the ball did not spin out of his hand tonight like it usually does. 

Um, No.  There were a couple of times when a defender got a hand on it causing it to wobble.

4 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Agree that Allen would be sacked much more behind this OL.  But he did not have his best game tonight.  When under pressure he generally notices those open WR's.  This OL is a disaster.  It was a liability last year, and we did nothing substantial to fix it.   The DL is also a disaster, no sacks on Tanny.  

Does anyone have any specific examples of these plays where wrs were open for tds and just got missed? I heard the commentators say it a couple times after the pocket broke down and they sounded silly to me 🤣  it takes some time to load up for a deep throw that he just didn't have on any of those plays.

14 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

impacts us in the standings.  And concerning that Allen missed a bunch of open WR's when under pressure.  That's not normal.  And concerning that our offense was stalled by a depleted defense in the red zone, again, we can't seem to get a TD in the red zone and it cost us the game.  

Allen didn't miss a "bunch" of wide open WR's tonight. Maybe 2 or 3 at most.  EVERY QB misses a couple of wide open receivers almost every game.  And our offense was stalled because we have an average O  line and mediocre RB's.  Allen & the WR's hide a lot of deficiencies in the offense.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.