TJ Watt Slugfest

BisonMan

Watt should be suspended for the forearms to the head last night.  He wasn't going for the ball.  The hit to gut he may have been, but the 2 forearms he was not.

Pittsburgh has been dirty for years, but always play it off as "being physical."  Hines Ward is the dirtiest WR I have ever seem,  and James Harrison is close with Burfict for the dirtiest player I've seen.  

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Beast said:

I hear what you are saying and you make a valid point...but to be Devil's advocate, what if a player is legitimately trying to knock a pass down and hit the QB's facemask? 15 yards right there.

To me, being punched in the gut or arm doesn't feel any less painful because it was on accident. 

Agreed I had to clarify that - I was more thinking of a slight miss, where a guy goes for the ball and gets the ballcarrier’s elbow for example. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Paulus said:

Are you daft? Or, being sarcastic?

I mean, you can't punch another player period. If you could, imagine all the abuse that would happen. Players would always be "punching the ball" and hitting the other player on accident. Watt should have been tossed.

We’re talking about two different things. If Watt has been pushing that line, as @Hapless Bills Fan and others have claimed, then he should be flagged/fined, even suspended if he does it enough. I was more just speaking about the technique (punching the ball out) more generally. It’s taught and used by many, if not all teams. Sorry if that wasn’t clear. I don’t think anyone that does it is “classless” or a “scumbag” as others have said. TJ Watt may be though. He’s aware he’s going to get more leeway from the refs given his rep and accomplishments.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BisonMan said:

“Punching out” the ball is a key strategy for today’s NFL defenses. TJ Watt took it to another level last night. 

How many hands do you have to throw at a ball carrier before it’s “unsportsmanlike” or just plain assault?

That’s ridiculous but at the same time the whistle had not blown. 

6 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

We’re talking about two different things. If Watt has been pushing that line, as @Hapless Bills Fan and others have claimed, then he should be flagged/fined, even suspended if he does it enough. I was more just speaking about the technique (punching the ball out) more generally. It’s taught and used by many, if not all teams. Sorry if that wasn’t clear. I don’t think anyone that does it is “classless” or a “scumbag” as others have said. TJ Watt may be though. He’s aware he’s going to get more leeway from the refs given his rep and accomplishments.

I agree, in that case. I just hate the Stealers, and dirty teams in general.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

by that standard, quite a few Bills defenders are also lacking “class” as you put it. Punching the ball out is taught by coaches all over the league. If you screw up and hit the guy in the head or something and get flagged that’s on you, but hard for me to accuse the defender of being classless. They’re trying to make a play.

Really?  In that replay you saw him going for the ball?  Not really.  He is swinging like a moron. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.