Should NFL refs start being suspended for idiotic calls?

Beast

All penalties should be challengable, and the final decision should be made by an official in NY, not the ref who's reluctant to overturn a call from his officiating crew.

I know we hate the delays caused by challenges, but each coach still only gets 2 per game, so it's not a big deal. And some of these calls are so blatantly wrong that they need to be corrected.

16 minutes ago, pigpen65 said:

Refs are overly involved by design. Rules are left ambiguous by design. It's not a coincidence how many primetime games end up being decided by last second field goals or go into OT. The NFL classifies itself as an entertainment entity, the same as the WWE does. The refs are doing what the leagues wants the refs to do which is to manage the games. The Chiefs / Bills would have been a blowout by the middle of the 2nd quarter had the refs not managed it. Anybody deluding themselves into thinking any of this is isn't by design is a fool.

The refs definitely have more influence on the outcome of games than they should. I go back to that playoff game in New Orleans a few years ago. The world is watching and everyone saw the most blatant pass interference in the history of the NFL except the refs on that side of the field that day. Still mind blown about that non call to this day 

• Thank you (+1) 1

The problem is that the NFL always find a way to justify an official’s terrible call.   So while fans find the calls abhorrent they rules are written so vaguely (clear and indisputable evidence) that the league can find a way to support any call. 

Officiating is an issue in all sports.  There’s always missed calls and I don’t think any league has gotten it correct 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Jobot said:

There should be some sort of performance review, no doubt. Apparently these guys average $200k per game.

Its not 200k per game  it is avg 205k per year. Per game they'd be making over 3 million per year if they got 200k per game, thats higher than vet minimum. 

Edited by AuntieEm

9 minutes ago, MJS said:

On the particular call in question, if Murray would have fallen down (flopped to get a call like a lot of players do, including Josh Allen) it would have looked like a pretty legit roughing the passer.

Murray released the ball, the defender took multiple steps toward him and gave him a shove. Definately a weak call, but defenders should know not to do that. If they see a ball released, they should be doing everything in their power to avoid contact because that's the way the game is played now and you don't want to hurt your team with a penalty.

What I can't tell from the video is how hard the push was. The defender pushed Murray on his third step following the pass. Definitely late and knocked Murray off balance, Murray being an exceptional athlete never lost his footing. As you say, had he flopped it would get called. Looking at the roughing the passer call last week on Frank Clark that so outrage our buddy Chris, it was actually textbook roughing the passer. Though the hit wasn't late Clark never held back but rather drove his shoulder in to Josh's. 

To the OP's point, refs are graded and one got fired the next day a few years ago because he missed this false start:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0zw17LGyJB0

• Shocked 1

9 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

All penalties should be challengable, and the final decision should be made by an official in NY, not the ref who's reluctant to overturn a call from his officiating crew.

I know we hate the delays caused by challenges, but each coach still only gets 2 per game, so it's not a big deal. And some of these calls are so blatantly wrong that they need to be corrected.

The problem with this is that the crew in NY that oversees replay gets it wrong too. We’ve all watched this happen. 

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, pigpen65 said:

Refs are overly involved by design. Rules are left ambiguous by design. It's not a coincidence how many primetime games end up being decided by last second field goals or go into OT. The NFL classifies itself as an entertainment entity, the same as the WWE does. The refs are doing what the leagues wants the refs to do which is to manage the games. The Chiefs / Bills would have been a blowout by the middle of the 2nd quarter had the refs not managed it. Anybody deluding themselves into thinking any of this is isn't by design is a fool.

And its just bound to get worse with the leagues partnering with sports betting.  Bottom line NFL wants to grab as much cash out of its fans pockets as they can.  If you truly want pure sport than you'd have to watch no higher than High school level and even that can get cloudy as there are big stakes in scholarships to the top athletes.  

Edited by AuntieEm
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It the play in question is the one I remember, it is a valid penalty.  Sure, the hit (more of a shove) wasn't hard at all, but it was late and 100% unnecessary.

It's not about things being "soft" now, it's about getting players out of the mindset of going for unnecessary/late hits.  A lot of these guys have spent their entire football careers getting to act like thugs, and will test the limits of what they can get away with if you don't draw the line and hold them to it.  Unfortunately this leads to a lot of "weak" roughing penalties that old school football fans will whine about, but it is necessary.

Now I admit some refs take it too far and call penalties on valid hits, but a late shove on a QB seemingly to bully or intimidate them is a penalty.  I would rather see them reclassify that play to something like unsportsmanlike conduct rather than roughing the passer.

the problem here is the refs are basically scapegoats. nfl makes them call this crap, and i 100% believe theyre instructed to make momentum shifting calls to make games close, and/or help out bigger market teams

im not a conspiracy guy, but at this point its so blatant, i dont think you could even call it a conspiracy

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

56 minutes ago, Beast said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.saturdaydownsouth.com/nfl/kyler-murray-involved-in-the-nfls-latest-joke-of-a-roughing-the-passer-penalty/amp/

I get wanting to protect QB's but calls like this bring questions to the games integrity, IMO.

Any 15 yard plus penalty should be reviewed. Let the ref throw the flag but someone outside of the crew should make the final determination. I hate seeing games get held up any longer than they need to be but is that worse than some of these ticky-tack calls on the QB as well as some PI calls?

I'm sure this debate will go on forever but that call yesterday was ridiculous. Imagine that occuring during the last drive of a playoff game? Yikes.

YESSSS:worthy:

• Haha (+1) 1

I'd be against suspensions because with gambling,that becomes a mechanism to twist the screws on the officiating. 

I read where they do receive performance reviews, and have for some time.   I think any 15 yard (or more) penalty in the 4th quarter should be automatically reviewed.  

I also feel that officials should be prohibited from participating in any gambling activity while they are active officials.   

57 minutes ago, Beast said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.saturdaydownsouth.com/nfl/kyler-murray-involved-in-the-nfls-latest-joke-of-a-roughing-the-passer-penalty/amp/

I get wanting to protect QB's but calls like this bring questions to the games integrity, IMO.

Any 15 yard plus penalty should be reviewed. Let the ref throw the flag but someone outside of the crew should make the final determination. I hate seeing games get held up any longer than they need to be but is that worse than some of these ticky-tack calls on the QB as well as some PI calls?

I'm sure this debate will go on forever but that call yesterday was ridiculous. Imagine that occuring during the last drive of a playoff game? Yikes.

I think like I have been saying now for a decade the NFL has a Officials Problem, and there never seems to be accountability of officials.  Also NFL has a Technology issue, the fact that there is a 18B industry still using "chains" to figure out a first down is laughable.  

• Agree 1

Yes, they should be fined, suspended or even fired (if their performance is poor on a consistent basis).  They have the power to change the outcomes of the game and when the outcomes are changed due to a bad call.  

Too bad it’ll never happen. 

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Beast said:

Goodness, that call was bad!  Everything else notwithstanding, the Cardinals OLman pushed him into Murray

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.