Should NFL refs start being suspended for idiotic calls?

Beast

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.saturdaydownsouth.com/nfl/kyler-murray-involved-in-the-nfls-latest-joke-of-a-roughing-the-passer-penalty/amp/

I get wanting to protect QB's but calls like this bring questions to the games integrity, IMO.

Any 15 yard plus penalty should be reviewed. Let the ref throw the flag but someone outside of the crew should make the final determination. I hate seeing games get held up any longer than they need to be but is that worse than some of these ticky-tack calls on the QB as well as some PI calls?

I'm sure this debate will go on forever but that call yesterday was ridiculous. Imagine that occuring during the last drive of a playoff game? Yikes.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 5

meh I dunno. A possible fine paid b y whom? If it were paid by the NFL to have their referees bac k then Fine I'd agree with that. But the human error and bias issues aside I think they earn their money and to lose from their check based on arbitrary opinion..? Whose opinion..? **stir that can of worms pot**

as if the NFL would agree to that HA!

lol

Edited by Muppy

3 minutes ago, Steve O said:

Slippery slope

Agreed. I made the topic title and then took the topic in a different direction.

It is a slippery slope but that ref should not go unscathed and there should be safety nets in place for when these calls take place.

Edited by Beast

No, suspensions don't make any sense for refs. They are humans making judgement calls. The rules are ambiguous enough to make some of these things hard to officiate. I think they do a better job than most think.

But as long as we have humans as refs, there are going to be elements of missed and poor calls in the game.

• Agree 1

100% yes. Phantom holds and ticky tack calls should score them negatively. And just dumb flags, like the ref who tried to call a crack back block on Gesicki, when Gesicki didn't touch him, wasn't even facing him (was decided there was no penalty). Calls like those should definitely have some kind of effect. This way, less flags will be thrown and everyone will be happier. NFL is too stupid to figure this out though. 

• Like (+1) 3

On the particular call in question, if Murray would have fallen down (flopped to get a call like a lot of players do, including Josh Allen) it would have looked like a pretty legit roughing the passer.

Murray released the ball, the defender took multiple steps toward him and gave him a shove. Definately a weak call, but defenders should know not to do that. If they see a ball released, they should be doing everything in their power to avoid contact because that's the way the game is played now and you don't want to hurt your team with a penalty.

• Vomit 1

Refs are overly involved by design. Rules are left ambiguous by design. It's not a coincidence how many primetime games end up being decided by last second field goals or go into OT. The NFL classifies itself as an entertainment entity, the same as the WWE does. The refs are doing what the leagues wants the refs to do which is to manage the games. The Chiefs / Bills would have been a blowout by the middle of the 2nd quarter had the refs not managed it. Anybody deluding themselves into thinking any of this is isn't by design is a fool.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

1 minute ago, pigpen65 said:

Refs are overly involved by design. Rules are left ambiguous by design. It's not a coincidence how many primetime games end up being decided by last second field goals or go into OT. The NFL classifies itself as an entertainment entity, the same as the WWE does. The refs are doing what the leagues wants the refs to do which is to manage the games. The Chiefs / Bills would have been a blowout by the middle of the 2nd quarter had the refs not managed it. Anybody deluding themselves into thinking any of this is isn't by design is a fool.

now you've stepped in it pigpen65 That's quite a statement I cringed that was my honest reaction  **cringe****

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, MJS said:

On the particular call in question, if Murray would have fallen down (flopped to get a call like a lot of players do, including Josh Allen) it would have looked like a pretty legit roughing the passer.

Murray released the ball, the defender took multiple steps toward him and gave him a shove. Definately a weak call, but defenders should know not to do that. If they see a ball released, they should be doing everything in their power to avoid contact because that's the way the game is played now and you don't want to hurt your team with a penalty.

It was one of the worst calls I've witnessed concerning roughing the QB. It shouldn't even be debatable how bad the call was.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 5

I'm not sure how any system would handle the sequence from last week's Chiefs game where there was a phantom hold on Morse wiping out Allen's run for first down, giving us instead 3rd and 17 from our own 8.  Then the make-up call of phantom RTP on Clark wiping out an Allen INT to essentially give use the first down anyway.  While the end result was a wash, nobody had to feel good about the sequence.  If Allen had held the ball a moment longer, Clark would have had a clean sack, which really would have screwed the Bills on the original mis-call.

Edited by cage
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.