SNF: Seahawks at Steelers if anyone wants to talk about it

Hapless Bills Fan

Monday morning reflections:

- I think the standard of Quarterbacking in the NFL so far this season has been as good as it has been in a while. This however was a reminder about what football looks like when teams cannot make plays in the passing game. The first half in particular when they were both trying to pass despite doing it badly was horrible. 

- these two franchises look like zombie franchises. For most of the past decade they have been among the class of the NFL but now they look like they are playing outdated styles of football, Ben is finished, Seattle without Russ is moribund it is all just a bit depressing for fans of either. 

- give Seattle some credit they made a nice adjustment at half time because the Steelers were just teeing off the pass rush in the first half and not even trying to play the run. 

- TJ Watt obviously is just an absolute game wrecker. He was the best player on the field so it was fitting that he made the decisive play.

- the series of events at the end of regulation might have been one of the biggest refereeing fails of the season so far. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Monday morning reflections:

- I think the standard of Quarterbacking in the NFL so far this season has been as good as it has been in a while. This however was a reminder about what football looks like when teams cannot make plays in the passing game. The first half in particular when they were both trying to pass despite doing it badly was horrible. 

- these two franchises look like zombie franchises. For most of the past decade they have been among the class of the NFL but now they look like they are playing outdated styles of football, Ben is finished, Seattle without Russ is moribund it is all just a bit depressing for fans of either. 

- give Seattle some credit they made a nice adjustment at half time because the Steelers were just teeing off the pass rush in the first half and not even trying to play the run. 

- TJ Watt obviously is just an absolute game wrecker. He was the best player on the field so it was fitting that he made the decisive play.

- the series of events at the end of regulation might have been one of the biggest refereeing fails of the season so far.

After watching that game, I'm not surprised our OL had a crap outing vs. Steelers.  Cam Heyward and TJ Watt on the same line are a problem.

That said, the defense as a whole is the strength of that team and if you look at the Steelers injury report, it's not too big a surprise the Steelers have been struggling: they have played without Watt for 3/4 of game 2 and all of game 3; they lost Alualu to IR very early in game 2 (probably for the season); they've played at times without LB Devin Bush and CB Joe Haden and backup DT Carlos Davis.

So when your strength is defense, and the strongest players are out, what do you get?  You get Pitts Weeks 2-3, and maybe Week 4 if the groin guys were still hampered.

"Zombie Franchises" is a good term, love it.

I would say both teams are hampered by inability or unwillingness to run the ball, though to their credit Seattle came out in the 2nd half pounding the rock.  Geno for Russ is like trying to replace Milano with AJ Klein (that's probably a bit of an insult to Coach Klein, but work with me here...) - you can NOT just plug him into the same offense and expect good results.

Lastly I must say again - I thought Cris Collinsworth might be getting an OD of "Homer Hate" from us after last Sunday, but Collinsworth was just unbearably awful in his commentary, babbling continually about Steelers history and yadda yadda yadda.  Yuck-O.  I don't think I learned a single insightful or relevant thing about the players actually on the field from him.

39 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I would say both teams are hampered by inability or unwillingness to run the ball, though to their credit Seattle came out in the 2nd half pounding the rock.  Geno for Russ is like trying to replace Milano with AJ Klein (that's probably a bit of an insult to Coach Klein, but work with me here...) - you can NOT just plug him into the same offense and expect good results.

Yea unwillingness was the word I think. Obsessed with passing because they see teams around the league passing. But those teams look like modern passing offenses. Seattle even with Russ have a passing scheme that is 15 years out of date and Matt Canada, bless him, might have some modern ideas but you can't execute them with Big Ben. He can't move. Or throw. Other than that it is all good. Just horrible. People think "lots of passing = modern" go watch those two last night in that first half. Sickening. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.