Foodie finds - whatcha got?

BuffaloBill

10 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

One of my favorite sandwiches is avocado and cheese with Sriracha and mayo on lightly toasted whole wheat bread. Add a slice of a fresh garden tomato when they're in season.

Welcome to the board, Mr. Brady.

well I hope this fits in. I wish someone had told ME this information sooner than what occurred. so easy fast and delicious.

CURRY Red Green or Yellow

1 15 oz can coconut milk 

MAE PLOY  Curry Paste. This was a 3 pack from amazon $15 Great price will last a long time and delicious, Green, yellow, or red curry

so you take any number of fresh vegies ..I use chopped carrot pieces, green onion, peeled potato chunks, green pepper. chopped onion.

saute in pan until wilted then add can of coconut milk and approx 1T of curry paste

let simmer until potatoes are cooked through add a bit of water if needed.

serve with rice

can make non vegetarian by adding chicken, pork, beef, shrimp etc

delicioso

Edited by Muppy
  • Like (+1) 1

I’ve been going buck wild filling mason jars with most every veggie and fruit- fermenting, pickling, preserving.

Cabbage 🥬 ive been a little obsessed with,  especially red.

I have my brothers polish friends grandmothers secret coleslaw recipe.

My fathers Vietnamese friend is one of best chefs I know.  I have her excellent Kimchi recipe

And lots and lots of saurkraut- aged anywhere from two weeks to 6 months

delicious, affordable, easy, and some of healthiest stuff you can eat!

seymour Katz fermentation books I highly recommend anyone interested 

Edited by Pete
  • Like (+1) 1

I’ve made this Eggnog recipe 20x- aging everywhere from 3 weeks to 4 months.

well this year I tripled this base recipe(I added coconut rum, vanilla, more cinnamon).

it’s been aging in stock pot since last December!

So this week I portioned it off into liter and quart mason jars, added fresh nutmeg and cinnamon stick to each jar.  I sampled some of course- super delicious!

I plan on giving some jars as gifts Christmas season

For the eggnog:
12 large eggs
2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup heavy cream
1 qt (4 cups) whole milk
1 liter (about 4 cups) bourbon, such as Jim Beam
1/2 cup Myers’s dark rum
1/2 to 1 cup good Cognac or other brandy
Pinch kosher salt
1 whole nutmeg

To serve (optional):
10 egg whites
1 1/2 cups heavy cream

For the eggnog:
Separate egg yolks and whites. (Reserve egg whites for another use, such as egg-white frittata). Combine yolks and sugar in a large mixing bowl and whisk until well blended and creamy.  Add cream, milk, bourbon, rum, Cognac (use the good stuff), and salt, then stir.

the key to this eggnog is aging it.  The first 3 weeks it tastes super boozy.  But time smooths out flavor, the more time the smoother.  Age it 3 months or longer.  Mine aged 10 months already and it’s best batch yet!  It will be best eggnog you have ever had!

https://www.kcrw.com/culture/shows/good-food/the-secret-to-eggnog-make-it-now-and-save-it-for-next-year

• Shocked 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Pete said:

I’ve made this Eggnog recipe 20x- aging everywhere from 3 weeks to 4 months.

well this year I tripled this base recipe(I added coconut rum, vanilla, more cinnamon).

it’s been aging in stock pot since last December!

So this week I portioned it off into liter and quart mason jars, added fresh nutmeg and cinnamon stick to each jar.  I sampled some of course- super delicious!

I plan on giving some jars as gifts Christmas season

For the eggnog:
12 large eggs
2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup heavy cream
1 qt (4 cups) whole milk
1 liter (about 4 cups) bourbon, such as Jim Beam
1/2 cup Myers’s dark rum
1/2 to 1 cup good Cognac or other brandy
Pinch kosher salt
1 whole nutmeg

To serve (optional):
10 egg whites
1 1/2 cups heavy cream

For the eggnog:
Separate egg yolks and whites. (Reserve egg whites for another use, such as egg-white frittata). Combine yolks and sugar in a large mixing bowl and whisk until well blended and creamy.  Add cream, milk, bourbon, rum, Cognac (use the good stuff), and salt, then stir.

the key to this eggnog is aging it.  The first 3 weeks it tastes super boozy.  But time smooths out flavor, the more time the smoother.  Age it 3 months or longer.  Mine aged 10 months already and it’s best batch yet!  It will be best eggnog you have ever had!

https://www.kcrw.com/culture/shows/good-food/the-secret-to-eggnog-make-it-now-and-save-it-for-next-year

dude I've never heard of aging egg nog that's gnarly!...aging in a stock pot on simmer? Im not sure what all your process really entails ...in the fridge would seem the likeliest its still gnarly you age it cool beans 🙂

10 hours ago, Muppy said:

well I hope this fits in. I wish someone had told ME this information sooner than what occurred. so easy fast and delicious.

1 15 oz can coconut milk 

MAE PLOY  Curry Paste. This was a 3 pack from amazon $15 Great price will last a long time and delicious, Green, yellow, or red curry

so you take any number of fresh vegies ..I use chopped carrot pieces, green onion, peeled potato chunks, green pepper. chopped onion.

saute in pan until wilted then add can of coconut milk and approx 1T of curry paste

serve with rice

delicioso

You can find curry paste at any Asian grocer for about a buck a can.

• Shocked 1

28 minutes ago, Muppy said:

dude I've never heard of aging egg nog that's gnarly!...aging in a stock pot on simmer? Im not sure what all your process really entails ...in the fridge would seem the likeliest its still gnarly you age it cool beans 🙂

There is so much booze that bacteria does not stand a chance.  I would say over 100 friends and family have tried it over the years.   Everyone said it was best eggnog they ever had

I also make a delicious Coquito too,  I age that 1 month or so.  My Puerto Rico friend gave me the best coquito I ever had!  It had loads of fresh coconut.  He said the key to good Coquito is to age it, the longer the better.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Muppy said:

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/6704-eggnog-better-and-safer-with-age

At the same time, the alcohol has a chance to kill any potential pathogens in the mix.

This latter benefit was conclusively proven by microbiologists Vince Fischetti and Raymond Schuch at New York City’s Rockefeller University. They deliberately added salmonella bacteria to a batch of eggnog and analyzed the bacteria content over a three-week period. By the three-week mark, the alcohol had rendered the eggnog completely sterile. 

Edited by Pete
  • Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

You can find curry paste at any Asian grocer for about a buck a can.

say whattt LOL buck a can where? not here I wish!

37 minutes ago, Pete said:

There is so much booze that bacteria does not stand a chance.  I would say over 100 friends and family have tried it over the years.   Everyone said it was best eggnog they ever had

I also make a delicious Coquito too,  I age that 1 month or so.  My Puerto Rico friend gave me the best coquito I ever had!  It had loads of fresh coconut.  He said the key to good Coquito is to age it, the longer the better.  

YUMMMMMMMMMM...sounds legit I trust your word matey. GNARLY!

12 hours ago, Muppy said:

1 15 oz can coconut milk 

serve with rice

delicioso

Yum - I’ll be over for dinner tonight

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Muppy said:

say whattt LOL buck a can where? not here I wish!

YUMMMMMMMMMM...sounds legit I trust your word matey. GNARLY!

I’m making Jan 2 trip to Bills game with my brother and Father.  I will donate some of the egg nog to Kenny’s tailgate.  Come try it yourself.  This batch is excellent, and will only improve between now and Jan 2

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

I’m making Jan 2 trip to Bills game with my brother and Father.  I will donate some of the egg nog to Kenny’s tailgate.  Come try it yourself.  This batch is excellent, and will only improve between now and Jan 2

I wish Pate. Im waaaaay across the country and recently returned from upstate (Kingston Ulster County) on the Hudson for my sons wedding. When I make a return appearance to WNY I will definitely go to Hammers Lot....I know a Canadian guy who tailgates same section in am airstream and has for years and then I gather this crew too..hot dog! LOL

Here's a tip I borrowed from a TV chef. For those of you that add pork while cooking your tomato sauce, substitute bacon. It adds a nice hint of smokiness. And if you add sugar to your sauce, try substituting a little port wine instead. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

19 hours ago, Muppy said:

1 15 oz can coconut milk 

serve with rice

delicioso

Trader Joe's used to sell a "That Green Curry Simmer Sauce" that was amazing for chicken.  They discontinued it and substituted something awful for it. :angry:

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Doc said:

Trader Joe's used to sell a "That Green Curry Simmer Sauce" that was amazing for chicken.  They discontinued it and substituted something awful for it. :angry:

the coconut milk can with the concentrate curry paste is the Bomb. I can't tell the difference between that and the curry sauce my local thai place makes. I love that its so versatile, vegetarian or with meat/seafood. Yellow is my favorite. I need to go to the asian market and ask for a recommendation for the brand they sell.... Promo shared to ask a clerk to translate/point out a recommendation and thats a Great idea  :-)))

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.