Foodie finds - whatcha got?

BuffaloBill

1 minute ago, Augie said:

The fresh bacon wrapped jalapeño poppers I found at Publix seemed like a good idea at the time.

I think in gonna regret this……. 

I feel your pain.....pobrecito Augie ..haha.  For me there are salsas that are just soo tasty you know you may suffer later but at the time you don't really care 🙂 

3 minutes ago, Muppy said:

I feel your pain.....pobrecito Augie ..haha.  For me there are salsas that are just soo tasty you know you may suffer later but at the time you don't really care 🙂 

My wife came in and immediately mentioned how good it smelled. She asked what it was and I told her. I offered her some. All those people are right….she is MUCH smarter than I am! 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Muppy said:

the coconut milk can with the concentrate curry paste is the Bomb. I can't tell the difference between that and the curry sauce my local thai place makes. I love that its so versatile, vegetarian or with meat/seafood. Yellow is my favorite. I need to go to the asian market and ask for a recommendation for the brand they sell.... Promo shared to ask a clerk to translate/point out a recommendation and thats a Great idea  :-)))

I am fairly certain most cheap thai takeout places are using Mae Ploy or Maesri brand curry pastes.  The ingredients to make real thai curry pastes can be hard to find unless you're in a city with a large southeast asian population and its also a laborious process to make it from scratch in any scale.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

I am fairly certain most cheap thai takeout places are using Mae Ploy or Maesri brand curry pastes.  The ingredients to make real thai curry pastes can be hard to find unless you're in a city with a large southeast asian population and its also a laborious process to make it from scratch in any scale.

I was not aware of curry paste in any form before. THe local to me thai place is not bad in some things good in others but depends on the cook. I'll ask if they use curry paste and see what they say.....Youre very likely right they DO use it.

This paste reminds me of a sauce in mexico called Mole'. You can buy a glass/plastic jar of Dona Maria. It tastes really good. Is it restaurant highest quality?  Same thing not exactly......but If I were served it at a mexican strip mall place Id be very happy  Ha! Not many strip corner takeout places serve it either. But I make it its easy mix water or broth simmer Done!! Over chicken or on burritos is le cronique.

Go Bills

m

Edited by Muppy

19 minutes ago, Muppy said:

I was not aware of curry paste in any form before. THe local to me thai place is not bad in some things good in others but depends on the cook. I'll ask if they use curry paste and see what they say.....Youre very likely right they DO use it.

This paste reminds me of a sauce in mexico called Mole'. You can buy a glass/plastic jar of Dona Maria. It tastes really good. Is it restaurant highest quality?  Same thing not exactly......but If I were served it at a mexican strip mall place Id be very happy  Ha! Not many strip corner takeout places serve it either. But I make it its easy mix water or broth simmer Done!! Over chicken or on burritos is le cronique.

Go Bills

m

Mole is a complex Mexican sauce.

here is Rick Bayless mole recipe for example

Classic Red Mole
FROM RICKBAYLESS.COM

Mole Rojo Clasico

Recipe from Season 7, Mexico—One Plate at a Time 

Servings: 3/4 gallon of mole

Ingredients

10ounces (5 medium)tomatillos, husked and rinsed

1 1/3 cup (about 6 1/2 ounces) sesame seeds

1cuprich-tasting pork lard or vegetable oil, plus a little more if necessary

6ounces (about 12 medium) dried mulato chiles, stemmed, seeded and torn into large flat pieces

3ounces (6 medium)dried ancho chiles, stemmed, seeded and torn into large flat pieces

3ounces (10 medium)dried pasilla chiles, stemmed, seeded and torn into large flat pieces

8 garlic cloves, peeled

1cup (about 4 ounces) unskinned almonds

1cup (about 4 ounces) raisins

1teaspooncinnamon, preferably freshly ground Mexican canela

1/2teaspoon black pepper, preferably freshly ground

1/2teaspoon anise, preferably freshly ground

1/4teaspoon cloves, preferably freshly ground

2slices firm white bread, darkly toasted and broken into several pieces

2ounces (about 2/3 of a 3.3-ounce tablet)Mexican chocolate, roughly chopped

3quarts chicken broth

Salt

1/3 to 1/2cup sugar

Instructions

Preliminaries. On a rimmed baking sheet, roast the tomatillos 4 inches below a very hot broiler until splotchy black and thoroughly soft, about 5 minutes per side. Scrape into a large bowl. In a dry skillet over medium heat, toast the sesame seeds, stirringly nearly constantly, until golden, about 5 minutes. Scrape half of them in with the tomatillos. Reserve the remainder for sprinkling on the chicken.

Brown other mole ingredients. Turn on an exhaust fan or open a kitchen door or window. In a very large soup pot (I typically use a 12-quart stainless steel stock pot or a medium-large Mexican earthenware cazuela), heat the lard or oil over medium. When quite hot, fry the chiles, three or four pieces at a time, flipping them nearly constantly with tongs until their interior side has changed to a lighter color, about 20 or 30 seconds total frying time. Don’t toast them so darkly that they begin to smoke—that would make the mole bitter. As they’re done, remove them to a large bowl, being careful to drain as much fat as possible back into the pot. Cover the toasted chiles with hot tap water and let rehydrate 30 minutes, stirring frequently to insure even soaking.
Remove any stray chile seeds left in the fat. With the pot still over medium heat, fry the garlic and almonds, stirring regularly, until browned (the garlic should be soft), about 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon, remove to the tomatillo bowl, draining as much fat as possible back into the pot.Add the raisins to the hot pot. Stir for 20 or 30 seconds, until they’ve puffed and browned slightly. Scoop them out, draining as much fat as possible back into the pot, and add to the tomatillos. Set the pan aside off the heat.

To the tomatillo mixture, add the cinnamon, black pepper, anise, cloves, bread and chocolate. Add 2 cups water and stir to combine.

Blend, strain, cook. Into a large measuring cup, tip off the chiles’ soaking liquid. Taste the liquid: if it’s not bitter, discard all abut 6 cups of the liquid. (if you’re short, add water to make up the shortfall). If bitter, pour it out and measure 6 cups water. Scoop half of the chiles into a blender jar, pour in half of the soaking liquid (or water) and blend to a smooth puree. Press through a medium-mesh strainer into a large bowl; discard the bits of skin and seeds that don’t pass through the strainer. Repeat with the remaining chiles.Return the soup pot or cazuela to medium heat. When quite hot, pour in the chile puree—it should sizzle sharply and, if the pan is sufficiently hot, the mixture should never stop boiling. Stir every couple of minutes until the chile puree has darkened and reduced to the consistency of tomato paste, about a half hour. (I find it useful to cover the pot with an inexpensive spatter screen to catch any spattering chile.)

In two batches, blend the tomatillo mixture as smoothly as possible (you may need an extra 1/2 cup water to keep everything moving through the blades), then strain it in to the large bowl that contained the chiles. When the chile paste has reduced, add the tomatillo mixture to the pot and cook, stirring every few minutes until considerably darker and thicker, 15 to 20 minutes. (Again, a spatter screen saves a lot of cleanup.)

Simmer. Add the broth to the pot and briskly simmer the mixture over medium to medium-low heat for about 2 hours for all the flavors to come together and mellow. If the mole has thickened beyond the consistency of a cream soup, stir in a little water. Taste and season with salt (usually about 4 teaspoons) and the sugar.You're now ready to make Lacquered Chicken or you can cool, cover and refrigerate until you're ready to use. When you're ready to proceed, rewarm the mole.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

Mole is a complex Mexican sauce.

here is Rick Bayless mole recipe for example

Classic Red Mole
FROM RICKBAYLESS.COM

Mole Rojo Clasico

Recipe from Season 7, Mexico—One Plate at a Time 

Servings: 3/4 gallon of mole

Ingredients

10ounces (5 medium)tomatillos, husked and rinsed

1 1/3 cup (about 6 1/2 ounces) sesame seeds

1cuprich-tasting pork lard or vegetable oil, plus a little more if necessary

6ounces (about 12 medium) dried mulato chiles, stemmed, seeded and torn into large flat pieces

3ounces (6 medium)dried ancho chiles, stemmed, seeded and torn into large flat pieces

3ounces (10 medium)dried pasilla chiles, stemmed, seeded and torn into large flat pieces

8 garlic cloves, peeled

1cup (about 4 ounces) unskinned almonds

1cup (about 4 ounces) raisins

1teaspooncinnamon, preferably freshly ground Mexican canela

1/2teaspoon black pepper, preferably freshly ground

1/2teaspoon anise, preferably freshly ground

1/4teaspoon cloves, preferably freshly ground

2slices firm white bread, darkly toasted and broken into several pieces

2ounces (about 2/3 of a 3.3-ounce tablet)Mexican chocolate, roughly chopped

3quarts chicken broth

Salt

1/3 to 1/2cup sugar

Instructions

Preliminaries. On a rimmed baking sheet, roast the tomatillos 4 inches below a very hot broiler until splotchy black and thoroughly soft, about 5 minutes per side. Scrape into a large bowl. In a dry skillet over medium heat, toast the sesame seeds, stirringly nearly constantly, until golden, about 5 minutes. Scrape half of them in with the tomatillos. Reserve the remainder for sprinkling on the chicken.

Brown other mole ingredients. Turn on an exhaust fan or open a kitchen door or window. In a very large soup pot (I typically use a 12-quart stainless steel stock pot or a medium-large Mexican earthenware cazuela), heat the lard or oil over medium. When quite hot, fry the chiles, three or four pieces at a time, flipping them nearly constantly with tongs until their interior side has changed to a lighter color, about 20 or 30 seconds total frying time. Don’t toast them so darkly that they begin to smoke—that would make the mole bitter. As they’re done, remove them to a large bowl, being careful to drain as much fat as possible back into the pot. Cover the toasted chiles with hot tap water and let rehydrate 30 minutes, stirring frequently to insure even soaking.
Remove any stray chile seeds left in the fat. With the pot still over medium heat, fry the garlic and almonds, stirring regularly, until browned (the garlic should be soft), about 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon, remove to the tomatillo bowl, draining as much fat as possible back into the pot.Add the raisins to the hot pot. Stir for 20 or 30 seconds, until they’ve puffed and browned slightly. Scoop them out, draining as much fat as possible back into the pot, and add to the tomatillos. Set the pan aside off the heat.

To the tomatillo mixture, add the cinnamon, black pepper, anise, cloves, bread and chocolate. Add 2 cups water and stir to combine.

Blend, strain, cook. Into a large measuring cup, tip off the chiles’ soaking liquid. Taste the liquid: if it’s not bitter, discard all abut 6 cups of the liquid. (if you’re short, add water to make up the shortfall). If bitter, pour it out and measure 6 cups water. Scoop half of the chiles into a blender jar, pour in half of the soaking liquid (or water) and blend to a smooth puree. Press through a medium-mesh strainer into a large bowl; discard the bits of skin and seeds that don’t pass through the strainer. Repeat with the remaining chiles.Return the soup pot or cazuela to medium heat. When quite hot, pour in the chile puree—it should sizzle sharply and, if the pan is sufficiently hot, the mixture should never stop boiling. Stir every couple of minutes until the chile puree has darkened and reduced to the consistency of tomato paste, about a half hour. (I find it useful to cover the pot with an inexpensive spatter screen to catch any spattering chile.)

In two batches, blend the tomatillo mixture as smoothly as possible (you may need an extra 1/2 cup water to keep everything moving through the blades), then strain it in to the large bowl that contained the chiles. When the chile paste has reduced, add the tomatillo mixture to the pot and cook, stirring every few minutes until considerably darker and thicker, 15 to 20 minutes. (Again, a spatter screen saves a lot of cleanup.)

Simmer. Add the broth to the pot and briskly simmer the mixture over medium to medium-low heat for about 2 hours for all the flavors to come together and mellow. If the mole has thickened beyond the consistency of a cream soup, stir in a little water. Taste and season with salt (usually about 4 teaspoons) and the sugar.You're now ready to make Lacquered Chicken or you can cool, cover and refrigerate until you're ready to use. When you're ready to proceed, rewarm the mole.

MUCHO TRABAJO HERMANO (dang thats a lotta work) But absolutely shows the complexity. Im not this cook but oh I love eating it! :-))))

thanks for posting it is amazing when done from scratch. There are many different styles of "Mole" too the red is my favorite,

PS: we make tamales at Christmas and u wanna talk about a lot of work lol. Its more than even making mole sauce from scratch. But sooo worth it. Its a labor of love basically. We make like 12 dozen and give them out to friends and church family

Edited by Muppy
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Muppy said:

MUCHO TRABAJO HERMANO (dang thats a lotta work) But absolutely shows the complexity. Im not this cook but oh I love eating it! :-))))

thanks for posting it is amazing when done from scratch. There are many different styles of "Mole" too the red is my favorite,

PS: we make tamales at Christmas and u wanna talk about a lot of work lol. Its more than even making mole sauce from scratch. But sooo worth it. Its a labor of love basically. We make like 12 dozen and give them out to friends and church family

De nada Bills hermana.  Mole muy deliciosa!  Muy Bien!  Salut!

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/19/2021 at 10:42 AM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I just assume everyone knows about Mike’s Hot Honey, right?  I put it on just about everything.  

That sound's good.  Can you get it at Wegmans?

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Irv said:

I’m not sure.  I get the larger 24oz “chef sized” bottles through Amazon.

I do bacon-wrapped chicken kabobs with poblano peppers, red onion and pineapple.  Drizzle the honey on every time I flip the kabobs.  Adds a nice, warm heat and that sweet flavor.

https://www.amazon.com/Mikes-Hot-Honey-Chefs-Bottle/dp/B073SHJ587/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?adgrpid=55750957413&dchild=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI04bYxO3e8wIVCr3ICh3XjQQ8EAAYAiAAEgJmPPD_BwE&hvadid=274756898083&hvdev=m&hvlocphy=9003089&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=11652648541235413431&hvtargid=kwd-337820911178&hydadcr=16081_9881702&keywords=mike's+hot+honey&qid=1634934489&sr=8-4

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Irv said:

Yes.  My son got 2 bottles a few weeks ago from there because it was the cheapest price (amazingly).  But the first one we opened imparted a weird smell and taste to it.  They sent us a replacement.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2021 at 4:35 PM, BuffaloBill said:

I know many of you around these parts are foodies. What are your favorite foodie finds? Could be ingredients, gadgets or techniques.

As for me, I love Temecula Olive Oil. Try blood orange drizzled on French toast before you drench the bread in egg. It adds an awesome citrus taste to the results.

my son received this as a wedding gift it makes the best homemade pizza ever. In his town you can go to a pizzeria and buy individual sized portions of dough for like $3.00....he bought several and then had fresh mozzarella, ricotta, mushrooms, pepperoni, whatever you want..you make the pizza  slide it in this oven and very quickly you have perfectly cooked pizza....Its portable and he made his outside on a picnic table. Its a bit pricey but makes delicious pizzas Fast. its called the 

Ooni - Fyra 12 Inch Portable Outdoor Pizza Oven - Silver

image.png.3ad823f36293ae940ea2b8bd13ea67a6.png

Edited by Muppy
  • Like (+1) 1

On 11/3/2021 at 3:44 PM, Muppy said:

my son received this as a wedding gift it makes the best homemade pizza ever. In his town you can go to a pizzeria and buy individual sized portions of dough for like $3.00....he bought several and then had fresh mozzarella, ricotta, mushrooms, pepperoni, whatever you want..you make the pizza  slide it in this oven and very quickly you have perfectly cooked pizza....Its portable and he made his outside on a picnic table. Its a bit pricey but makes delicious pizzas Fast. its called the 

Ooni - Fyra 12 Inch Portable Outdoor Pizza Oven - Silver

image.png.3ad823f36293ae940ea2b8bd13ea67a6.png

I got the Roccbox.

These make great pizzas

On 10/17/2021 at 6:35 PM, BuffaloBill said:

I know many of you around these parts are foodies. What are your favorite foodie finds? Could be ingredients, gadgets or techniques.

As for me, I love Temecula Olive Oil. Try blood orange drizzled on French toast before you drench the bread in egg. It adds an awesome citrus taste to the results.

Blood orange, eh?

Does it matter if you drizzle it before you drench, or would mixing it in with the egg work?

We're big fans of the olive oils and vinegars from Vom Fass, but I tend more to get their high quality varietal? olive oil for dipping, and get the flavored balsamic vinegars.  But, I do like their lemon-infused olive oil a lot ....need to see if they have a blood orange.

The big thing from our local Vom Fass, though, is the Swiss owner holds the most marvelous raclette dinners in her shop in the evening.  My kid gave me a raclette grille last year, and we've been enjoying it a lot - can't wait to start having friends over for raclette dinners (there is nothing socially distanced about raclette).

I've also gotten into making charcuterie boards.  Some Trader Joe's Fig Butter is usually part of it.

On 10/17/2021 at 9:15 PM, Muppy said:

great vegetarian dinner easy and delicious.

1 pound fresh cheese tortellini (Costco)

1/2 Cup sun dried tomatoes or dried reconstituted with warm olive oil ...soak sdt in hot water let soak and drain, add olive oil 1/2C

1 Pound fresh mushrooms sliced or quartered.

Boil water to directions and cook tortellini until they float on the top approx 5 minutes.

In skillet add mushrooms and sun dried tomato oil mixture for 2 minutes

drain tortellini, put back and add the skillet to hot tortellini, garnish with plenty of fresh grated or powdered parmesan cheese...stir. Done.

Riquisimo.

Hmmm I just may be eating that for dinner tonight.

In exchange I give you "You Wont Be Single Long" Vodka Cream Pasta

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/you-wont-be-single-for-long-vodka-cream-pasta-recipe-1912258

I think I use half that amount of tomatoes (or no sugar added tomato sauce).

I also find it helpful to "temper" the cream by mixing some of the sauce into it before adding it to the pan.

I like it over tortellini, the dried tortellini from Aldi here are pretty good.

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Blood orange, eh?

Does it matter if you drizzle it before you drench, or would mixing it in with the egg work?

I’ve mixed it with the egg and it works just fine. However, in an effort not to waste eggs I usually cooked scrambled eggs what is left after I have drenched the brioche.  If you do this your eggs will taste “orangey.” If you just drizzle the oil on the bread (you don’t need a lot of it) you can have scrambled eggs that taste like scrambled eggs.

On 10/17/2021 at 9:15 PM, Muppy said:

great vegetarian dinner easy and delicious.

1 pound fresh cheese tortellini (Costco)

1/2 Cup sun dried tomatoes or dried reconstituted with warm olive oil ...soak sdt in hot water let soak and drain, add olive oil 1/2C

1 Pound fresh mushrooms sliced or quartered.

Boil water to directions and cook tortellini until they float on the top approx 5 minutes.

In skillet add mushrooms and sun dried tomato oil mixture for 2 minutes

drain tortellini, put back and add the skillet to hot tortellini, garnish with plenty of fresh grated or powdered parmesan cheese...stir. Done.

Riquisimo.

Just tried this.  😍

Half the recipe, added a couple diced jalapeno peppers from our garden (mild on the spice scale), used both dried tomatoes and dried/oil preserved.

Nice.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Just tried this.  😍

Half the recipe, added a couple diced jalapeno peppers from our garden (mild on the spice scale), used both dried tomatoes and dried/oil preserved.

Nice.

you know hap I actually forgot to write down garlic in my OP I didnt even think to write it I automatically add it ..Im glad you enjoyed this. I like to shop then have dinner on the table in half hour. Thats the sweet spot for me. Too much prep gives me hives I like simple and fast. I made this for a potluck recently and folks raved I was happy :-))))))

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.