Josh Allen Embraces Technology to Transform Himself From Loose Cannon to Maybe a 3D MVP

muppy

https://www.sporttechie.com/josh-allen-embraces-technology-to-transform-himself-from-loose-cannon-to-maybe-a-3d-mvp?utm_content=buffer265b0&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=Buffer

this is a great article. If someone wants to post the whole thing? 

[Mod Edit: DON'T POST THE WHOLE THING.  That violates copyright law.  I know other sites do, but it's never been allowed here.]

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 2

"Hess realized at that moment Josh Allen was intelligent, attentive, self-aware and had a meteoric rise inside of him.

You grow up with this thing in farming where just because you plant the seed today, you don’t get to harvest it tomorrow. There’s this kind of diligent patience, you always have to keep working for no immediate return."

The qualities that separate Josh Allen from the pack.  I mean, Jeff George could throw a football over mountains, too.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Crazy to hear that Allen’s mechanics improved throughout the course of the season instead of just maintaining. It would suggest that he’s comfortable enough most of the time on the field that not only is he processing plays and defenses, but at the moment he’s throwing a pass, on some level, he’s actively assessing how he’s throwing the ball, not just reflexively throwing it, and then making in season adjustments that work. 

• Agree 1

55 minutes ago, transient said:

Crazy to hear that Allen’s mechanics improved throughout the course of the season instead of just maintaining. It would suggest that he’s comfortable enough most of the time on the field that not only is he processing plays and defenses, but at the moment he’s throwing a pass, on some level, he’s actively assessing how he’s throwing the ball, not just reflexively throwing it, and then making in season adjustments that work. 

My guess is that it does not mean he's assessing how he's throwing the ball during a game, but that he's putting in extra throwing work on his own beyond the game plan install and the practice against the scout team looks.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

My guess is that it does not mean he's assessing how he's throwing the ball during a game, but that he's putting in extra throwing work on his own beyond the game plan install and the practice against the scout team looks.

so just to clarify...a post linking an article of course. But Nothing from the article can show? I sometimes can copy paste and other times the content itself wont allow it. But the visuals within this piece were super cool thats why I kind of asked...:)

Key quotes:

The next day, [Hess] explained it to the quarterback as best he could. In a perfect world, he told Allen, a football is thrown in the following sequence: (1) the pelvis rotating; (2) the pelvis forming a fulcrum for the torso to rotate around; (3) elbow extension; and (4) internal shoulder rotation.

The good news, Hess told him, was that if Allen could throw a football in that precise order, his arm speed and accuracy would skyrocket. The bad news was that Allen’s biomechanics were in reverse: he was throwing shoulder first.

“He was leading with the upper body and just throwing with basically all arm,’’ Hess said.

What impresses me about this assessment is that one guy here (a former player/HS coach who scouts a bit for the pros) just watching Allen without the fancy setup, said the same thing - that Allen was throwing with just his upper body/arm.  It's amazing to me what the unaided but trained eye can just see.

As Hess was explaining this to Allen, the quarterback answered with a lot of “yep’s’’ and “okay’s’’ — short, quick answers that had Hess thinking this may be a one-and-done session. The kid had better things to do, he figured. Either way, he decided to continue with his dissertation. His prime advice was for Allen to work with Palmer on not lifting his back heel before planting his front stride foot, essentially to create proper ground force. He also said to work with his strength coach and physical therapist to ensure his hips, ankles and calves were physically able to accomplish that.

Then Hess said goodbye…maybe forever.

Remember that hit by Joey Bosa where he corkscrewed Allen into the ground then went around babbling at our OLmen while Allen spent a couple Looooooong minutes on the ground?

After that hit, we had a "Josh Allen is Gumby" thread here, but also Dr Kyle Trimble aka Bangedup Bills explaining that Allen probably escaped serious knee injury because he has good hip muscle flexibility, so his upper leg could rotate and protect the knee.

Law of unintended consequences: I wonder if the extra work with strength/PT to loosen his hips so he could adjust his throwing motion, wound up saving his season?

18 minutes ago, Muppy said:

so just to clarify...a post linking an article of course. But Nothing from the article can show? I sometimes can copy paste and other times the content itself wont allow it. But the visuals within this piece were super cool thats why I kind of asked...:)

Short answer: you can post quotes from the article.  Show that they're quotes - either quotation marks, or use the " symbol in in the tool bar to bring up a quote window you can paste into.

Longer answer: we try to follow copyright law, which allows reproduction of excerpts for "fair use" or "transformative use".  So if you quote an excerpt to make an extra point or add onto it, totally fair - or a few excerpts to give the flavor of the article or make a key point.  See what I did above?  I put in a quote to make a point about "eyeball scouting" and about "Josh Allen is Gumby".

Just don't repost the whole thing.  It's not only against the law, it's tacky to the site that is hosting the work, and to the author who may get paid by traffic. 

And Last but not Least: THANKS for posting that - GREAT read!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Key quotes:

What impresses me about this assessment is that one guy here (a former player/HS coach who scouts a bit for the pros) just watching Allen without the fancy setup, said the same thing - that Allen was throwing with just his upper body/arm.  It's amazing to me what the unaided but trained eye can just see.

Remember that hit by Joey Bosa where he corkscrewed Allen into the ground then went around babbling at our OLmen while Allen spent a couple Looooooong minutes on the ground?

After that hit, we had a "Josh Allen is Gumby" thread here, but also Dr Kyle Trimble aka Bangedup Bills explaining that Allen probably escaped serious knee injury because he has good hip muscle flexibility, so his upper leg could rotate and protect the knee.

Law of unintended consequences: I wonder if the extra work with strength/PT to loosen his hips so he could adjust his throwing motion, wound up saving his season?

Short answer: you can post quotes from the article.  Show that they're quotes - either quotation marks, or use the " symbol in in the tool bar to bring up a quote window you can paste into.

Longer answer: we try to follow copyright law, which allows reproduction of excerpts for "fair use" or "transformative use".  So if you quote an excerpt to make an extra point or add onto it, totally fair - or a few excerpts to give the flavor of the article or make a key point.

Just don't repost the whole thing.  It's not only against the law, it's tacky to the site that is hosting the work, and to the author who may get paid by traffic.

So basically could have just said, "don't post whole article" and saved yourself some time lol?

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

8 minutes ago, Matt in KC said:

You're busting on him for taking extra time to be clear, helpful and patient?

Whoa there chief!!! I never have and never will bust anything on him or any man for that matter. My busting is strictly for the eager mugs of females...

But seriously, I'm just kidding with him. I think or least hope he can pick up on it..... And btw, what are you? You his pit bull or something?

41 minutes ago, uninja said:

A quarterback barely serviceable. "Gentlemen, We Can Rebuild Him. We have the technology. We have the capability to make the world's first bionic QB. Josh Allen will be that man. Better than he was before. Better. Stronger. Faster."

The one thing that rots my socks in that otherwise excellent article is the beginning, where it is implied that Allen was basically unservicable before the services of this Hess dude:

The Buffalo Bills drafted Allen 7th overall in 2018 on account of his broad body, light feet and howitzer arm — even though much of the time he’d toss it to the other team. His rookie season was a 50-50 proposition, as in a 52.8 completion percentage,

It's really overstating the case IMO.  Allen did have 12 picks in 11.5 games his rookie season.  That's not great, but it's actually about the same as other rookie QB (Sam Darnold for example) who did NOT have that "much of the time he'd toss it to the other team" narrative about them. 

The following season, before he met Mr. Bionics, Allen cut the INT % to 2.0% and improved his completion % 6 percentage points, the Bills won 10 games and went to the playoffs.  That's better than "barely serviceable" no matter what Sam Momson says.

It builds drama and tells a better story when written that way, I suppose.

9 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:
1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The one thing that rots my socks in that otherwise excellent article is the beginning, where it is implied that Allen was basically unservicable before the services of this Hess dude:

100% agree. 

It’s the same kind of sloppy reasoning analysts were using for straight up missing on Allen. 

Fans saw the growth week to week. Early on we saw that the kid was growing into something special. Anyone actually paying attention could have seen it coming. 

2020 happened and they were all convinced it had to be the mechanics work that made it all possible. They didn’t miss it, it just wasn’t there til then. Which is just wrong and lazy. It was annoying, and definitely rotted my socks (hope you don’t mind me borrowing that) but I guess at the end of the day it doesn’t matter. We have our guy, and whether they wanted to give him the proper accolades or not, he’s forcing the issue now. 

Though I guess that won’t stop them for making their excuses how they could be so very wrong. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I actually thought the guy being interviewed did a pretty good job of making clear Josh Allen is responsible for Josh Allen’s progress, however the article author tried to spin it.

Josh Allen's success can not in anyway be foreseeable, I mean that'd mean a lot of these sports journalists were wrong. 🤷‍♂️

okay here's my take. If any said trainer could bottle and market a "Josh Allen" formula..who wouldn't want to buy it! HA

except #17 is so much more than some coaches dream formula incarnate....dude has the physical tools you just cannot coach (size and arm strength) with a brain and commitment to excellence that will not be denied.

Yeah bottle that ***** up who wouldnt want THAT....."Momma please let my baby grow up to be Josh Allen"

lolol

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.