"On the Autistic Spectrum" Aspergers Discussion Testimonial Thread

muppy

greetings 2BDers

as man y of you have read in the share music thread I have a son who is a professional musician. What I havent shared is his older sister is also gifted in music. Her story is one of extreme perseverance and Gods grace in her life. The link here is her story from birth to present.

If anyone reading this has a child "on the spectrum" I really hope this message will inspire you/someone.

Katrina Aguilar - Part of Your World (Live Concert) - YouTube

Edited by Muppy
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 2

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to "On the Autistic Spectrum" Aspergers Discussion Testimonial Thread
29 minutes ago, Muppy said:

would a mod please correct the spelling in thread title TYVM

@Hapless Bills Fan

Sure, but you all can do it yourselves for a thread you start: just click and hold on the thread title and an "edit" box should pop up

Full disclosure: piece of cake that works every time from a computer, I find it "hit and miss" from an i-device, maybe there's a trick I haven't yet figured.

And best wishes for continued success to both your children; they musta had a parent who did something right!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I've always had an interest in Asperger's/Autism as I have a lot of traits with people with these diagnosis.  Per one thing I had/have selective mutism as a child and still deal with social anxiety on a daily basis.

It makes me wonder if the increase in diagnosis come as a result of vaccines and environmental factors.  Or has just diagnosis become so sophisticated over the years someone's "quirks" if you will has a label?

Or another way to think of it is it's just the next step in evolution

Edited by Another Fan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

I've always had an interest in Asperger's/Autism as I have a lot of traits with people with these diagnosis.  Per one thing I had/have selective mutism as a child and still deal with social anxiety on a daily basis.

It makes me wonder if the increase in diagnosis come as a result of vaccines and environmental factors.  Or has just diagnosis become so sophisticated over the years someone's "quirks" if you will has a label?

Or another way to think of it is it's just the next step in evolution

my daughter was nonverbal until age 5. Once she began to talk a lot of it was in her head and answers to direct questions didn't illicit an appropriate reply.  As she developed the interest in singing and especially youth theater and drama her focus WAS music and as the show tells it brought she out of her shell. Very high functioning genius (which by definition mean singular focus and excellence in one area) is how she has been described. Think about other famous people on the spectrum this phenomenon proves itself out. (elon musk, Neil Young, Albert Einstein) to name a few

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Muppy said:

greetings 2BDers

as man y of you have read in the share music thread I have a son who is a professional musician. What I havent shared is his older sister is also gifted in music. Her story is one of extreme perseverance and Gods grace in her life. The link here is her story from birth to present.

If anyone reading this has a child "on the spectrum" I really hope this message will inspire you/someone.

great stuff, Muppy— you must be so proud! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

great stuff, Muppy— you must be so proud! 

Yes I'm very humbly proud its hard not to be after witnessing how hard she worked to produce this show. Every word was crafted intently. She an her pianist Richard Great guy they killed this its hard to find flaws yeah maybe not perfect but shes gooood.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/16/2021 at 12:36 PM, Muppy said:

greetings 2BDers

That is absolutely beautiful! 

Awesome talent! I have a nephew who is somewhere on the spectrum. There have been a lot of ups and downs, but there is no question he is amazingly gifted in many ways. 

It’s funny how the mind works. We went to a funeral for my wife’s aunt a few weeks ago. She was about 90,  had suffered from dementia and had lost her husband a couple years earlier. You could easily argue it was a blessing. The amazing part was she couldn’t recognize her own sons or remember their names, but could still play very complicated music on the piano (her college major/early profession). My wife was a piano performance major her freshman year and was floored by what she could do despite not recognizing those who surrounded her. 

Thank you @Muppy for sharing that beautiful experience. 

I won’t pretend to know what our minds are capable of, and I try to leave judgement to others. 

Edited by Augie
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Augie said:

That is absolutely beautiful! 

Awesome talent! I have a nephew who is somewhere on the spectrum. There have been a lot of ups and downs, but there is no questions he is amazingly gifted in many ways. 

It’s funny how the mind works. We went to a funeral for my wife’s aunt a few weeks ago. She was about 90,  had suffered from dementia and had lost her husband a couple years earlier. You could easily argue it was a blessing. The amazing part was she couldn’t recognize her own sons or remember their names, but could still play very complicated music on the piano (her college major/early profession). My wife was a piano performance major her freshman year and was floored by what she could do despite not recognizing those who surrounded her. 

Thank you @Muppy for sharing that beautiful experience. 

I won’t pretend to know what our minds are capable of, and I try to leave judgement to others. 

Im not crying YOU'RE Crying.............TYVM. To God be the glory.

• Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, Another Fan said:

15 hours ago, UConn James said:

I was diagnosed in 2015 at age 35 after suspecting it for some time.

I think the older generations, we were classified as having quirks, and we had to adapt to fit into society.  I was tested in 2010 and only labeled as having OCD with Social Anxiety, even though I believe I'm right on the border of being Autistic.  Under the latest DSM guidelines, I would probably qualify. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Absolutely beautiful 

And with all the talk of the adults wondering if they were possibly not diagnosed as a child it's possible

But the real strong clues of autism like the original poster said are nonverbal cues... There's a lot of people who are socially awkward but not on the spectrum

But If you didn't speak till you were five , that's a strong clue that you're probably on the spectrum

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Absolutely beautiful 

And with all the talk of the adults wondering if they were possibly not diagnosed as a child it's possible

But the real strong clues of autism like the original poster said are nonverbal cues... There's a lot of people who are socially awkward but not on the spectrum

But If you didn't speak till you were five , that's a strong clue that you're probably on the spectrum

back in the late 80's the diagnosis was not so clearly defined as it is now they used to call it "pervasive developmental disorder" an umbrella term for on the spectrum. She was "diagnosed" at age 3 and she was mainstreamed and attended special ed classes her entire primary school. Then with tutors and some testing accomodations she was able to graduate with a BS in vocal performance from boston conservatory.

The show you are viewing we pray ultimately can/will go  National. I mean if freakin real housewife louann deliseps can do cabaret you bet katrina could do her disney show and people would be blown away. She is an actress and singer and being on the spectrum and able to be so vocal about it is pretty illuminating into her mindset being ON the spectrum. People who love disney and have had some connection to autism really appreciate her voice.

Edited by Muppy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Muppy said:

back in the late 80's the diagnosis was not so clearly defined as it is now they used to call it "pervasive developmental disorder" an umbrella term for on the spectrum. She was "diagnosed" at age 3 and she was mainstreamed and attended special ed classes her entire primary school. Then with tutors and some testing accomodations she was able to graduate with a BS in vocal performance from boston conservatory.

The show you are viewing we pray ultimately can/will go  National. I mean if freakin real housewife louann deliseps can do cabaret you bet katrina could do her disney show and people would be blown away. She is an actress and singer and being on the spectrum and able to be so vocal about it is pretty illuminating into her mindset being ON the spectrum. People who love disney and have had some connection to autism really appreciate her voice.

God bless you and your family

Amazing talent

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Muppy said:

Im not crying YOU'RE Crying.............TYVM. To God be the glory.

Settled into hotel in Nashville and able to respond. 

Possibly the most touching part of her late stage dementia abilities was the song she most often chose. She would play Autumn Leaves which is a very complicated piece. The professional pianist at the funeral had several days to work on it, and by all accounts it was a botched attempt (not that I would know), albeit by a nice and well intentioned guy they knew who had a few days to work on it. 

It was an important piece to her because it was the song that was playing when her husband of 60+ years proposed to her. It seems to have been a “Rosebud” moment. 

We cannot begin to comprehend the human mind. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

First off, Muppy, your daughter has amazing talent! 

I remember my Mom's last few months. She had dementia, and she went quickly. I went to visit her in the nursing home, and I played Seriously Sinatra on Sirius XM. That woman knew every lyric to every song that was played, and she sung her heart out! That was a great memory. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 10/17/2021 at 8:14 PM, Augie said:

Settled into hotel in Nashville and able to respond. 

Possibly the most touching part of her late stage dementia abilities was the song she most often chose. She would play Autumn Leaves which is a very complicated piece. The professional pianist at the funeral had several days to work on it, and by all accounts it was a botched attempt (not that I would know), albeit by a nice and well intentioned guy they knew who had a few days to work on it. 

It was an important piece to her because it was the song that was playing when her husband of 60+ years proposed to her. It seems to have been a “Rosebud” moment. 

We cannot begin to comprehend the human mind. 

she likes the tailgate party aspect of football but the game itself meh notso much haha...can u imagine MY daughter isn't a Bills fan? 

I told her last night regarding this thread and she smiled and said Thank you mama 🙂

Thank you Augie for writing 

m

Edited by Muppy

On 10/16/2021 at 1:36 PM, Muppy said:

greetings 2BDers

Just seeing this post this evening Mup, and thank you so much for sharing.

I did not get all the way through it yet but your daughter is a beautiful young lady with an amazing talent.   

I don’t know much about the spectrum,  but I do know the importance of a positive environment for children and it seems you knocked it out of the park.   

• Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Just seeing this post this evening Mup, and thank you so much for sharing.

I did not get all the way through it yet but your daughter is a beautiful young lady with an amazing talent.   

I don’t know much about the spectrum,  but I do know the importance of a positive environment for children and it seems you knocked it out of the park.   

you maybe can relate to this maybe not. But my son and I have an extremely close bond. With Katrina it is she and her father Daddies Girl 100% and its perfect.

I will say we were fortunate to be able to fund her education . Because of her vocal training she's versatile and has a big range but definitely soprano.

Of course Im super proud of she and what she has accomplished. But she came from good stock I'll cop to that hahaha

peace and love leonardo ..GO BILLS!~!~!!!

m

Edited by Muppy
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.