Rank The Buffalo Bills Starting QB’s Since Jim Kelly

JohnNord

Any list that doesn’t start with Allen then Tyrod is incorrect.  Tyrod made 2 pro bowls and was the one to break the playoff drought.

He wasn’t the answer, but our offense under him for those 3 years were the highest scoring three year period in Bills history outside the first three SB years.

Does it mean he was a top ranked starter.  No it means the rest of our QBs between Kelly and Allen were pitiful.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Disagree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Any list that doesn’t start with Allen then Tyrod is incorrect.  Tyrod made 2 pro bowls and was the one to break the playoff drought.

He wasn’t the answer, but our offense under him for those 3 years were the highest scoring three year period in Bills history outside the first three SB years.

Does it mean he was a top ranked starter.  No it means the rest of our QBs between Kelly and Allen were pitiful.

Yeah I got Tyrod 3rd after Bledsoe. Which was a thinker, but went with Bledsoe 2nd since he did air it out more and imo was slightly the better QB. Can't begin to say how many times I screamed at the t.v for Tyrod to throw the damn ball lol. I'm sure many others did also, but Bledsoe was better overall QB imo. Not by much I assure you, but gave him the nod

As to rest of bold.....yeah he made probowl, but I don't put much stock into that. Think he was an alternate for one of those if not mistaken. Anyway not taking that away or anything, but imo yeah he made some plays here and there, but he also left many plays on the field.

The scoring history he lead as QB, I'd question if the run game they had then was a slightly more reason for that thn Tyrod actually was? Idk for sure, but Bills had best running game in the league at one point and basically stayed a top rushing team with him there. And yes I'm counting in the rushing plays he made.

Anyways, why I went Bledsoe. I just think he is the slightly better overall QB imo So if Tyrod isn't after Allen it definitely doesn't make it "incorrect" Lol, jus my 2 cent

Edited by Sheneneh Jenkins
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, ticketssince61 said:

Crazy thing about Todd Collins is that he hung around the NFL for 16 years - 13 of them after he left Buffalo.

In the first 10 years, after he left the Bills threw a grand total of 27 passes

Yep! I mentioned this last week in the Russell Wilson to miss starts and Geno Smith is his backup. When Todd came in and started for Washington after 10 years of never hearing a peep out of him, I almost gave myself whiplash. My head spun around to the TV and I was like no way that’s the same Todd Collins. Good for him. 

16 hours ago, JohnNord said:

I disagree.  Orton wasn’t the problem that year.  The Bills defense failed in Oakland which is what screwed their season

Never started a game for the Bills

Billy Joe never started a game for the Bills.  They released him before it got to that point

Orton my not have been the problem but Fitz was better.  Orton had no mobility, could not extend plays in the pocket, gain yards down field with his legs, and they had to alter the run game because Orton was not quick enough to get from behind center to hand the ball off on some plays.

2 minutes ago, artmalibu said:

Orton my not have been the problem but Fitz was better.  Orton had no mobility, could not extend plays in the pocket, gain yards down field with his legs, and they had to alter the run game because Orton was not quick enough to get from behind center to hand the ball off on some plays.

Orton should automatically be disqualified from any mention just for this play alone...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I'd place Taylor third behind Allen and Flutie. Taylor was a Pro Bowler and had a playoff appearance.

Bledsoe had one phenomenal year but ultimately no playoff appearances. Fitzy is 5th. Although he has better passing stats than Bledsoe, he had no Pro Bowl nods, playoffs or winning seasons.

Allen

Flutie

Taylor

Bledsoe

Fitzpatrick

20 hours ago, SMAKCruiser said:

Orton over Flutie?? Lol.    Flutie should be no worse than 3rd... I'd even debate he should be second.   

And Trent Edwards gets a raw deal...He was much better than many of the folks on that list (that are above him)

There were 17 QBs who started for the Bills between Kelly and Allen

There were 17 years of Playoff drought

Our QB wears the #17 

• Shocked 1
  • Disagree 2

It gets tough for the first few after Allen because:

1) Some of these guys had careers outside Buffalo (e.g. Fitz, Bledsoe, Anderson)

2) A few of them had one good season in Buffalo but then went bad (Bledsoe, Fitz, Flutie, even Tyrod)

3) Others flashed at times but could not perform consistently

And then there are some that were just plain bad.

My list: 

Allen

Bledsoe (his good year was very good, then faded hard)

Flutie (misused, good in 98/99, also faded hard in 2000, but was electric before then)

Fitz (maybe the same average result as an average QB but has a high variability that gives hope. Did bad after contract).

Taylor (Better results for the team but faded during his time in Buff)

Orton (Gave us some good games but ultimately nothing special)

Beyond that it is a mess. Next tier - guys who showed promise but failed:

Rob Johnson (He "flashed" at times but his sack rate was just unacceptable by any measure)

Trent Edwards (Started out good then went bad, whether is was a concussion or bad coaching who knows)

Next tier: Guys who were not good. Ranking is very hard.

JP Losman

EJ Manuel

Kelly Holcomb

Alex Van Pelt

Todd Collins

The rest... bad and short lived:

Matt Barkley (had one good game)

Thad Lewis

Derek Anderson (not good here but had legit career)

Jeff Tuel

Brian Brohm

Nathan Peterman (the worst)

No rating:

Matt Cassel (started only on a technicality, much better career than others listed, did less harm than Peterman)

Edited by HalftimeAdjustment
Forgot Brian Brohm

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.