Rank The Buffalo Bills Starting QB’s Since Jim Kelly

JohnNord

5 hours ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

Tuel, Peterman, Brohm. God that’s hard to believe. I remember banging the drum for Brohm. I really had a lot to rethink about my ability to judge players. 

I got a lot of heat from the Brohm supporters when I tried to explain that there was no way that our management at the time was capable of outsmarting the best GMs in the league by signing a guy off GB's practice squad who they didn't even bat an eye for when he was waived before his 2nd season.  My theory was that QBs are treated like gold by the NFL GMs. Teams don't release a 2nd round QB  one year later and no waiver claims come in unless the film (mostly pre-season) indicates he's a bust.  I said at the time how can anyone believe Russell Brandon could steal a guy with GMs like Ozzie Newsome & Bill Polian not having made a waiver claim earlier in the year.  The funniest replies gave Buddy Nix the credit as if he could ever outsmart all the GMs.  The closest thing to Brohm since then is Josh Rosen who up until he failed with 3 or 4 teams, his die hards still were waiting for him to emerge. 

The bottom line is the actions of the GMs in the league can give you a pretty good idea if a highly drafted QB is a bust when his 1st team dumps him.  The ones with any potential left don't land on practice squads.  The only exceptions are late round QBs or free agent QBs who can sometimes be far enough under the radar that a team can sneak him through waivers.  But a 1st, 2nd or even a 3rd round QB who gets dumped within 2 years with virtually no interest around the league isn't going to be anyone's answer. 

I'm so glad we are light years away from fans getting excited with a QB signing off another team's practice squad.    

Imma take a stab at this, with explanations:

Josh Allen - Duh
Doug Flutie - Took us to more playoff games than anyone else on this list. If he starts the Titians game, we win, go to the SB, and win that.  Wade should have resigned when Ralph ordered him to start Scrub Johnson in the playoff game. 

Ryan Fitzpatrick - The 2011 win over the Cheats was one of the greatest Bills victories ever.

Drew Bledsoe - Decent QB on the downside of his career, we didn't have enough pieces on offense to make it work.  But I still remember that overtime win against the Viqueens, another of the Bills best wins of the drought era.

Tyrod Taylor - Never was a fan, never will be a fan of a QB with no balls.  He was so totally risk averse that what he saved you in TOs, he cost you in opportunities to win.

Alex Van Pelt (YEAH, I SEDDIT!!!) - Will never forget him taking the Bills the length of the field for a TD against the Squeelers in the Bruce Smith flu playoff game after Kelly became Batman.  Kelly had a Snickers on the sideline, went back in, threw 2 INTs, game over.  AVP never got any love in Buffalo, we even played that ahole Billy Joe Neckbert ahead of him.  Body by Pillsbury, arm and brain of Chad Pennington.

J.P. Losman - All the tools, great arm, could not figure out the small stuff.  Was never the same after Troy Vincent broke his leg in training camp "just to teach him a lesson".  Anybody else find it ironic that Troy Vincent became the NFL's Director of Player Safety?

Matt Barkley - Great locker room guy, loved seeing him light up the Jest.

EJ Manuel - Was playing OK his rookie season before getting injured in Cleveland.  His career essentially ended when JJ Watt picked off the lob to Fred Jackson for a pick 6, and Maroon pulled the plug.  His last gasp came in London against the Jags, when he overcame a nightmarish first half to bring the Bills all the way back to the lead.  The rainbow he threw to Marcus Easley for the go ahead score was a thing of beauty.  What might have been if the refs don't make the phantom PI call on Nuke to keep the Jags alive on that last drive.... 

Kyle Orton - 3rd and puss, 'nuff said.

Trent Edwards - Good looking QB who became Trentative after he was concussed in a game.

Rob Johnson - Joke of a QB who cost the Bills a playoff game, couldn't stay healthy, and ruined the Bills chances while they had the best defense in the league.

Todd Collins - Outplayed by AVP in preseason, the Bills nevertheless decided to go with the high draft pick, with predictable results.

Thad Lewis - Only slightly better than Tuel, but doomed just the same.

Jeff Tuel - While the pick 6 against KC effectively ended his career, the play I remember happened in the Cleveland game after EJ got injured.  Tuel threw a perfect 40-yard rainbow to TJumptomakeacatch Graham, who promptly dropped it, killing the Bills chances of a comeback.  Love ya Tuel Time!

Kelly Holcomb - yawn.

Matt Cassel - really?

Derek Anderson - huh?

Brian Brohm - Who?

Nathan Peterman - C'mon man.

• Like (+1) 3

32 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Drew Bledsoe - Decent QB on the downside of his career, we didn't have enough pieces on offense to make it work.  But I still remember that overtime win against the Viqueens, another of the Bills best wins of the drought era

Really? imo that offense was pretty solid. Moulds was there, Peerless Price at the time was decent. TE J. Riemersma. The pieces were there for a productive offense and they were at times.

I always thought it was more Bledsoe. Just wasn't quite the same after he took that hit. 

2 hours ago, FormerlyPT5P said:

Thad was such a gamer tho

This is what I came to post lol. 
I think I once said Thad would be kinda like our lesser version of Favre slinging the rock all over. 

The list gives me nightmares. I’m almost 41, dated a lot of women in my single years and never had my heart broken as much as that list repeatedly broke my heart. 

1 hour ago, Jay_Fixit said:

As long as Johnson is above Flutie I’ll be ok.

Kelly

Allen

Bledsoe

Fitzpatrick

Johnson

Flutie

meh………

Seriously? I can honestly say you are the first person I have come across that said that. Not knocking your opinion or anything, but I seriously can't recall any Bills fan or anyone in general that considered Johnson better than Flutie.

Most, or nearly all were pissed he was benched for Johnson and I was one of those many ppl lol. Anyways, just curious to what makes you think that? He didn't do much of anything that would warrant me to think he was better than Flutie imo. Idk, but interesting take though

9 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Poor Todd Collins, if he had just been a few years younger maybe he would have been drafted by the Pats in the 6th round and gone on to win Super Bowls. 

Crazy thing about Todd Collins is that he hung around the NFL for 16 years - 13 of them after he left Buffalo.

In the first 10 years, after he left the Bills threw a grand total of 27 passes

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.