Rank The Buffalo Bills Starting QB’s Since Jim Kelly

JohnNord

Flutie is second on this list behind Josh Allen. Allen only beats out Flutie because he's guided the Bills to the AFC Championship game. 

In three seasons here, Flutie took the Bills to the playoffs twice. His 1998 season was something special to watch. 

In an alternate 1999, he leads the Bills to the Super Bowl, and not only prevents the MCM, but all of the Gregg Williams timeline as well. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, dpberr said:

Flutie is second on this list behind Josh Allen. Allen only beats out Flutie because he's guided the Bills to the AFC Championship game. 

In three seasons here, Flutie took the Bills to the playoffs twice. His 1998 season was something special to watch. 

In an alternate 1999, he leads the Bills to the Super Bowl, and not only prevents the MCM, but all of the Gregg Williams timeline as well. 

I sat through the forward lateral in a Skybox in BNA.  Bills D played lights out. With Flutie, game would not have been close enough for it to matter.  To think that Titans team was 2 feet from winning the Lombardi trophy.  NFL really needs to have an rfid chip in every ball, and a grid built into the field for plays like this. Also Bills took 10 penalties in that game to 2 for the Titans, please don't tell me the fix wasn't in.

• Agree 2
  • Dislike 1

Flutie gets way too much credit among Bills fans. Watching the Bills struggle to score in that 2000 season with him as QB was painful. He was the one who hung Thurman out to dry and got him injured. He had a huge ego and was not a team player. He was benched and Johnson started in his place for a reason. When Johnson walked off the field in that Tennessee game, the Bills were winning. 

That said, they both were mediocre QBs at best. God what a depressing list of QBs that is. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1

4 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Something fun going around Twitter.  Based on the list below rank the Bills starting QB’s since Jim Kelly retired.  After Josh it’s a crap shoot and then the next five it

gets really interesting.  Here’s mine:

Josh Allen
Drew Bledsoe

Kyle Orton

Doug Flutie
Tyrod Taylor
Ryan Fitzpatrick

Rob Johnson

Kelly Holcomb

EJ Manuel

Trent Edwards

J.P. Losman

Todd Collins

Matt Barkley
Alex Van Pelt
Matt Cassel

Derek Anderson

Thad Lewis
Jeff Tuel
Nathan Peterman
Brian Brohm

Why? Just Why? Do you like reminding us the years of pain we went through?

13 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

I sat through the forward lateral in a Skybox in BNA.  Bills D played lights out. With Flutie, game would not have been close enough for it to matter.  To think that Titans team was 2 feet from winning the Lombardi trophy.  NFL really needs to have an rfid chip in every ball, and a grid built into the field for plays like this. Also Bills took 10 penalties in that game to 2 for the Titans, please don't tell me the fix wasn't in.

I'm convinced the Bills would not have scored any more points with Flutie at QB. The best scoring effort the Bills had that season was when Flutie was benched for Johnson and the Bills beat the 13-2 Colts, under Peyton Manning, ending the Colts' 11-game winning streak, by a score of 31-6.  The Colts needed that game to secure home field for the playoffs but Johnson torched them. That's why Johnson started over Flutie in that game. 

I'm not saying Johnson was a good QB. But Flutie was not the hero he is so often made out to be. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 1

Tyrod was limited but he did end the streak.  I think overall he was the most consistent Qb Buffalo had since Kelly.  I think over time he deserves alot of credit for creating a culture for Allen to succeed in.  

Beyond that I think Bledsoe had a good stretch.  I believe a case can be made, they should have kept Fitz for the length of his extension.  Complete revisionist history but he was the better active player for much of that time before Tyrod.  

Going down memory lane here it makes me just thank the football Gods for Allen.  My, were these players night and day different from Kelly and now Allen. 

Just now, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Jim Kelly, Josh Allen 

Large Gap

Like, Really large gap

2002 Drew Bledsoe 

Tyrod Taylor 

Doug Flutie 

Kyle Orton 

Ryan Fitzpatrick

Large gap

2003-200-whatever Drew Bledsoe and everyone else

Any list that has Tyrod ahead of Fitz is wrong. 

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Any list that has Tyrod ahead of Fitz is wrong. 

Would you rather the guy who won’t cause you to win, or the guy who will cause you to lose? 

Just now, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Would you rather the guy who won’t cause you to win, or the guy who will cause you to lose? 

Not being snarky, legitimate question! 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, artmalibu said:

Fitz would have gotten the Bills to the playoffs in the Orton year imo......

I disagree.  Orton wasn’t the problem that year.  The Bills defense failed in Oakland which is what screwed their season

3 hours ago, CSBill said:

Peterman has to be at the bottom. But yeah, where is Billy Joe, one of my all time favorite terrible Bills QBs. 

Never started a game for the Bills

3 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

Ummm. Hello where is Billy jo hobert?  Ha.  I didn't study the playbook

Billy Joe never started a game for the Bills.  They released him before it got to that point

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Tyrod caused us to lose as well. But it was by not throwing the ball rather than throwing INTs. Fitz > Tyrod.

I think overall Tyrod and Fitz take you to similar places.  Imo Tyrod gets you a +1 to .5 more games. You beat everyone your suppose to.  No one you shouldnt.  Fitz you will win a game you shouldnt but also lose a game or so you should.  Fitz will be more fun but at the end of the day you are at a net loss.  Completely splitting hairs.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2

30 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Tyrod was limited but he did end the streak.  I think overall he was the most consistent Qb Buffalo had since Kelly.  I think over time he deserves alot of credit for creating a culture for Allen to succeed in.  

Beyond that I think Bledsoe had a good stretch.  I believe a case can be made, they should have kept Fitz for the length of his extension.  Complete revisionist history but he was the better active player for much of that time before Tyrod.  

Going down memory lane here it makes me just thank the football Gods for Allen.  My, were these players night and day different from Kelly and now Allen. 

I think Tyrod gets too much credit for “ending the streak” and don’t feel he deserves any credit for Allen.  In 2017, he threw for a modest 14 TD’s that year and struggled to pass for over 200 yards.  He was a very safe QB but feel several QB’s could have done the same. 

The culture turnaround was all McDermott.  If you credit any players then it should be Kyle Williams and Lorenzo Alexander.  

3 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Peterman started four games for the Bills

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PeteNa00.htm

No I was referring to Billy Joe.  He never started a game

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Some former Bills QB hot takes:

-Brian Brohm never got a fair shake. 

-I'm convinces Nate Peterman and Jeff Tuel were the same guy.

-Likewise AVP and Kelly Holcomb were the same guy.

-Kevin Kolb was sabotaged

-If we could have taken JP's arm, Trent Edwards brain and put them on EJ Manual we would have had a good QB.

-Matt Barkley is a good dude. I hope to see him play the 4th quarter when we are far ahead Monday.

-Tyrod was a great athlete. But an average QB. Can win with him, but rarely because of him.

-Ryan Fitzpatrick is extremely overrated by many Bills fans. He was fun to watch, is a terrific guy and creates some excitement...but was never going to be "the guy". 

EJ Manuel had the footwork of a newborn deer 

You can put anybody's brain and arm on his feet and he would still be a clumsy quarterback

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.