Kliff Kingsbury out for week 6

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, Rochesterfan said:

As Kliff is a coach - I am 100% sure he was vaccinated because unvaccinated coaches are not allowed around players.  Hence why several coaches that refused were released just before training camp.  

You can’t do your job if you can’t interact with players and you can’t interact with players unless you are vaccinated.

Because of the positive - even with the reduced ability to spread it - he needs to quarantine until he is negative to prevent it from even limited spread.

Agreed! Has the NFL not purchased a Zoom subscription? 😂 Stick a big monitor on the sideline and he can coach from his bedroom. It works for the rest of us! 

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

Agreed! Has the NFL not purchased a Zoom subscription? 😂 Stick a big monitor on the sideline and he can coach from his bedroom. It works for the rest of us! 

This came up for the Browns game in the playoff.  I think there are NFL secure communications protocols that effectively disallow this.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

He will still be calling plays.  He's not suspended.

How?  He's not allowed to travel with the team or to be in the stadium.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

I see the Cards handling the Browns.

Maybe.  They'll have the old "us vs. the World" chip on their shoulder

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Augie said:

The rest of the world has learned to adapt. Can anyone explain to me why he can’t participate from an isolated booth or even his basement? He’s a coach! He can do that from anywhere without breathing on people. 

If the Commish could run the 2020 draft from his basement ...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

Perfect example.

For competitive reasons they should have an NFL representative present in "some way" so that he's not cheating.

Edited by r00tabaga

34 minutes ago, r00tabaga said:

He should be isolated in a booth and allowed to call please and make game decisions IMO.

Dumb.

12 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

I get it, seems foolish to you.  But after repeated complaints about problems with the communication systems becoming unusable during games (playing Patriots Radio Coverage or being filled with static), or rumors that they were "hacked" and opposing teams (*cough* Pats *cough*) were listening in,  the NFL invested Big Bucks in upgrades.

Remember the last time we heard one of those complaints about Patriots Radio Broadcast over the HC headset or the like?  Neither do I.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/14/nfl-in-game-communications-go-digital-finally/

https://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/200304/major-improvements-coming-for-nfl-sideline-communication

That's because in 2016, the NFL adopted a new VOIP system:

In simpler terms, the league will own a private encrypted mobile communication system and operate on an exclusive frequency it acquired from the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). It will face no interference because no other product can share its frequency.

Now, I'm no security maven, but if you allow a portal by which someone outside the stadium operating on different equipment like a Zoom call can tap in, it seems to me that by definition, you allow a portal by which someone who shouldn't, can hack in. 

It's my understanding that during games, use of cell phones, non approved devices, and social media is banned from 90 minutes before the game until after post-game interviews have concluded.  So the Browns DC and OC can't "phone a friend" either.

Roger Goodell wasn't worried about other teams listening to his Zoom call in his basement; they already were, in fact they were expected to. 

@r00tabaga has previously made clear his beliefs that Covid restrictions of various kinds are "dumb", but the fact is that isolation to contain an infectious disease requires that you......isolate yourself.   Not "isolate yourself, unless something Really Really Important is going on like an NFL Game I wanna coach (or I'm out of Doritos and Coke Zero).

NFL coach's booths were not constructed with isolation from infectious disease in mind.  Early on, crowded conditions allowed Covid spread in a coaches booths during a game.  Limiting # of assistants in the booth, improving ventilation, and requiring masks have prevented recurrences, but that's without sticking a known infected coach or two up there.  It wouldn't be fair to the other coaches.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This came up for the Browns game in the playoff.  I think there are NFL secure communications protocols that effectively disallow this.

How?  He's not allowed to travel with the team or to be in the stadium.

Maybe.  They'll have the old "us vs. the World" chip on their shoulder

Exactly… just mount a monitor on a cart and have some kid point the thing towards the field or wherever the coach wants to look 😂 I recall Sheldon doing the same thing on an episode of The Big Bang Theory

@Hapless Bills FanIt's 2021 there should be a way you can isolate a coach and give him game feed. 

Seems like a no-brainer.

If there was some crazy interference like the Patriots & Ernie Adams are known for, then the assistant makes the call.

I think Buffalo is very lucky in that we have Leslie Frazier, and I will even throw Brian Daboll in there, as seemless transition if needed.

Edited by r00tabaga
  • Disagree 1

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Exactly… just mount a monitor on a cart and have some kid point the thing towards the field or wherever the coach wants to look 😂 I recall Sheldon doing the same thing on an episode of The Big Bang Theory

This boggles my mind.  A monitor on a cart won't help.  You're talking about a camera.  Now if one coach gets a camera, or a live feed of every camera the NFL points at the field, is that or is that not a potential competitive advantage (say, in deciding on when to challenge).  So now do both teams get that for that game?  Then what about other games?  And again (see above) the issue of secure communication and allowing other devices on the NFL sidelines.

Fans beef about skullduggery and competitive advantage and then want to open a portal to it.

How is this different from any other time a coach has missed a game due to a medical condition (heart problems, cancer, detached retina)?

Why should Kingsbury get exceptions these guys did not?

https://sports.yahoo.com/8-notable-nfl-coaches-missed-012137340.html?src=rss

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I get it, seems foolish to you.  But after repeated complaints about problems with the communication systems becoming unusable during games (playing Patriots Radio Coverage or being filled with static), or rumors that they were "hacked" and opposing teams (*cough* Pats *cough*) were listening in,  the NFL invested Big Bucks in upgrades.

Remember the last time we heard one of those complaints about Patriots Radio Broadcast over the HC headset or the like?  Neither do I.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/14/nfl-in-game-communications-go-digital-finally/

https://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/200304/major-improvements-coming-for-nfl-sideline-communication

That's because in 2016, the NFL adopted a new VOIP system:

Now, I'm no security maven, but if you allow a portal by which someone outside the stadium operating on different equipment like a Zoom call can tap in, it seems to me that by definition, you allow a portal by which someone who shouldn't, can hack in. 

It's my understanding that during games, use of cell phones, non approved devices, and social media is banned from 90 minutes before the game until after post-game interviews have concluded.  So the Browns DC and OC can't "phone a friend" either.

Roger Goodell wasn't worried about other teams listening to his Zoom call in his basement; they already were, in fact they were expected to. 

@r00tabaga has previously made clear his beliefs that Covid restrictions of various kinds are "dumb", but the fact is that isolation to contain an infectious disease requires that you......isolate yourself.   Not "isolate yourself, unless something Really Really Important is going on like an NFL Game I wanna coach (or I'm out of Doritos and Coke Zero).

NFL coach's booths were not constructed with isolation from infectious disease in mind.  Early on, crowded conditions allowed Covid spread in a coaches booths during a game.  Limiting # of assistants in the booth, improving ventilation, and requiring masks have prevented recurrences, but that's without sticking a known infected coach or two up there.  It wouldn't be fair to the other coaches.

I could still see Kliff sitting at home in his recliner, a bottle of Michelob Ultra in one hand as he's typing on his laptop to whoever takes over for him ... KYLER DEEP TO ERTZ.

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This boggles my mind.  A monitor on a cart won't help.  You're talking about a camera.  Now if one coach gets a camera, or a live feed of every camera the NFL points at the field, is that or is that not a potential competitive advantage (say, in deciding on when to challenge).  So now do both teams get that for that game?  Then what about other games?  And again (see above) the issue of secure communication and allowing other devices on the NFL sidelines.

Fans beef about skullduggery and competitive advantage and then want to open a portal to it.

How is this different from any other time a coach has missed a game due to a medical condition (heart problems, cancer, detached retina)?

Why should Kingsbury get exceptions these guys did not?

https://sports.yahoo.com/8-notable-nfl-coaches-missed-012137340.html?src=rss

I apologize. Not everyone is familiar with the current state of technology. We all have cameras on top of our monitors. The entire country is working this way. 

18 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

image.thumb.jpeg.b26338933d5cae08dd2ef860c29ff8d5.jpeg

"Moderator, or no moderator... I'm watching you, Bub!"

• Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I apologize. Not everyone is familiar with the current state of technology. We all have cameras on top of our monitors. The entire country is working this way. 

Are you implying I'm not "familiar with the current state of technology"?  The irony, it burns...

It would be silly to cart an unnecessary monitor around in order to aim a little, relatively low resolution camera with limited focal range on the top at things.....you would want a real camera, with more of the focus abilities of the human eye. 

And if one team gets to have their own cameras on the sideline during the game then.....

......Oh, Forget It.  Either I've made the point that this isn't as simple as some folks want to make it sound, or we're in terminal "missed point" territory

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Right, but it would be silly to swing a useless monitor around in order to aim a little camera on the top.....Oh, Forget It.

Hapless…the camera sees everything you can see. I’m assuming you understand all of this isn’t totally serious but the technology already exists.

• Eyeroll 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.