2022 Cap Space each team

Big Blitz

7 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

Chargers could be a force for a while with that 74 M in cap next year and Herbert on rookie deal still.

I was just going to say something similar. Most of the teams at the top are rebuilding or are just plain bad. Chargers are just hitting their stride.

4 hours ago, Johnnycage46 said:

Chargers could be a force for a while with that 74 M in cap next year and Herbert on rookie deal still.

The Chargers are well set up cap wise. They do have a few pending free agents. Mike Williams is the big ticket item obviously but secondary and defensive line have multiple starters coming up too. The other question of course is whether Spanos is willing to spend.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

Agreed on LAC.  They are an interesting team with from what we can see now, a heckuva a good rookie coach.  They are going to be a force moving forward.  I don’t know if they are going to spend like drinking sailers though.  Our cap space will adjust somewhat as we will probably move on from Mario A., and Hughes (they might offer him a low ball one year deal to help with the young guys).  The good news for us is we have extended a lot of core players.

This upcoming year we’ll have Edmunds, and we will make an offer, or keep him on the 5th year.  That Taron Johnson offer looks better and better with each week.  I’ll bet we let Beasley carry out his last year in 2022, and then move on.  17 games is a long season, amd he’s not that expensive for a quality slot WR.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Agreed on LAC.  They are an interesting team with from what we can see now, a heckuva a good rookie coach.  They are going to be a force moving forward.  I don’t know if they are going to spend like drinking sailers though.  Our cap space will adjust somewhat as we will probably move on from Mario A., and Hughes (they might offer him a low ball one year deal to help with the young guys).  The good news for us is we have extended a lot of core players.

This upcoming year we’ll have Edmunds, and we will make an offer, or keep him on the 5th year.  That Taron Johnson offer looks better and better with each week.  I’ll bet we let Beasley carry out his last year in 2022, and then move on.  17 games is a long season, amd he’s not that expensive for a quality slot WR.

I suspect Beasley is gone after this year. He is one of the easier cuts on the roster IMO. AJ Klein is cut #1. I have Beasley as cut #2. Those two alone save you $11.3m. The way Sanders is playing it is possible they would rather extend him another year than keep Beas.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 2
  • Dislike 3

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

The Chargers are well set up cap wise. They do have a few pending free agents. Mike Williams is the big ticket item obviously but secondary and defensive line have multiple starters coming up too. The other question of course is whether Spanos is willing to spend.

The only good thing about teams like the Chargers and Browns is they both will have to fight it out in tough divisions. As of today the AFC East looks similar to when NE dominated. 1 good team and 3 teams chasing their tail.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

5 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The only good thing about teams like the Chargers and Browns is they both will have to fight it out in tough divisions. As of today the AFC East looks similar to when NE dominated. 1 good team and 3 teams chasing their tail.

Yea we definitely have a division advantage right now. Pre-season I was very much in the camp of "the Bills won't sweep it again they will drop 1 somewhere, probably 5-1" but the way those three teams are looking it would be a huge disappointment if we don't sweep. 

7 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Some good teams with money to burn I mean throw around.   

And some dumpster fires.  You really are watching the last of Adams and Rodgers in GB imo.

And the Saints....woof

And somehow the saints will get under the cap with minimal moves.  

The chart is instructive, but I think it only tells a small part of the story. I'd much rather be LAC, but I’d also like to know who's under contract, who might leave, etc.

Some teams with cap problems could have room to maneuver by releasing bad players, while those in potentially good cap situations may have a lot of holes to fill and a roster full of good players looking for large paydays. 

For example, the Bills don't have much cap space, but if you didn't know which players were under contract, you might think they have significant potential problems. 

Edited by Max Fischer
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

The Bills are built for this year and next.

Things become dicey after that as far as signings and keepings.

call it the Wilford Factor, although for the young ones who don’t know that is a whole thread on its own.

I think the Bills are relying on the cap properly rebounding. Spotrac are estimating about $218m in 2023 which (before Taron's new deal is taken into account) gives the Bills about $70m in space (albeit with only 22 players under contact). There is no Ed Oliver 5th year option factored into that and there is no Tremaine Edmunds extension factored into that. There are some ways for the Bills to make more space. Star will be 33 by that point and cutting him has no dead cap and saves $9m. Then extending Stef and spreading his money out is an option too (he would be 29 at that point so you can probably extend for 2 years reasonably safely). Let's say between the two they can save around $15m. That gives you $85m (minus whatever Taron's hit is that year, let's say $8m as an average)... $75m from which to pay Tremaine (potentially pay Ed - who knows?) and then build out the rest of the roster. 

Of course it gets trickier as you go on extending guys but if the Spotrac number is right the Bills would still be in position to get a couple of guys in to help them in 2023. I really thing long term roster wise they need to draft starting calibre WR, CB and DT in the next couple of drafts. 2023 and 2024 the Bills should be really strong. 2025 when Josh accounts for over $50m on the cap and that would be over 20% of the total I think is the year when you might see just a little dip in the quality of what surrounds him. But then as the cap continues to go up and Josh's cap hits start to come down again.... well.... the Bills should be good for a long time. 

7 minutes ago, Mynamemike said:

And somehow the saints will get under the cap with minimal moves.  

Because the cap is very malleable. 

• Like (+1) 4

Remember when we used to be envious of the Brady taking team friendly deals... Well this entire team now wants to be in Buffalo, and stay together. I realize it sounds crazy, but McDermott legit built a family in Buffalo. No one wants to leave, they're all in it together. Buffalo will be on top as long as McDermott is there.

• Like (+1) 6

47 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think the Bills are relying on the cap properly rebounding. Spotrac are estimating about $218m in 2023 which (before Taron's new deal is taken into account) gives the Bills about $70m in space (albeit with only 22 players under contact). There is no Ed Oliver 5th year option factored into that and there is no Tremaine Edmunds extension factored into that. There are some ways for the Bills to make more space. Star will be 33 by that point and cutting him has no dead cap and saves $9m. Then extending Stef and spreading his money out is an option too (he would be 29 at that point so you can probably extend for 2 years reasonably safely). Let's say between the two they can save around $15m. That gives you $85m (minus whatever Taron's hit is that year, let's say $8m as an average)... $75m from which to pay Tremaine (potentially pay Ed - who knows?) and then build out the rest of the roster. 

Of course it gets trickier as you go on extending guys but if the Spotrac number is right the Bills would still be in position to get a couple of guys in to help them in 2023. I really thing long term roster wise they need to draft starting calibre WR, CB and DT in the next couple of drafts. 2023 and 2024 the Bills should be really strong. 2025 when Josh accounts for over $50m on the cap and that would be over 20% of the total I think is the year when you might see just a little dip in the quality of what surrounds him. But then as the cap continues to go up and Josh's cap hits start to come down again.... well.... the Bills should be good for a long time. 

The Bills have drafted amazingly well. However, as you point out there will be some financial pressure to take specific positions in the draft. The age old do you draft BPA or for need issue. Not factored into the discussion here is that FA’s may be willing to get to Buffalo on favorable deals because the team has a very strong core, a great locker room and hopefully will be bringing home Lombardi trophies (I know easier said than done).

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I suspect Beasley is gone after this year. He is one of the easier cuts on the roster IMO. AJ Klein is cut #1. I have Beasley as cut #2. Those two alone save you $11.3m. The way Sanders is playing it is possible they would rather extend him another year than keep Beas.

Not sure Klein is cut #1. I think the coaching staff loves him and he provides quality depth. I could easily see him kept at current salary.

I'm not high on him and agree he costs way too much, just giving an objective opinion.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Johnnycage46 said:

8 hours ago, MJS said:

I was just going to say something similar. Most of the teams at the top are rebuilding or are just plain bad. Chargers are just hitting their stride.

Agree on Chargers, also Bengals as they both are set at QB.  But Brown definitely is not one to spend big $$.  They both have somewhat of a small window though as soon the rookie contracts will be ending.

IMO any un-vaxxed players will get cut next year unless a real superstar as teams won't want to deal with the hassle.  There may be more places like NYC or San Fran where players can't play in games if not vaxxed.  This past year between cap constraints and limited time between start of NFL year and vaccine's coming out, not enough time for teams to do much of anything.  By next year teams will have time and money to address.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Think having a QB like Allen helps as you can sign tier II WR and he'll make them look like a tier I.  Sanders at 34 may be one of them, great WR 5 years ago, now having Allen throwing to him prolongs his career a bit.   Even O-Line, really not the best in league, but Allen makes them look better than they are.  These things allow the team to save a bit of money elsewhere.   Admittedly there's probably 1/2 dozen (maybe even 10) other teams in same situation.

If Beasley is gone after this year, I hope the bills have his replacement in mind...we will need to find more reliable pass catchers out of the backfield because Beasley serves as an extension of that position, and is a superb safety net for Josh...

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, JaCrispy said:

If Beasley is gone after this year, I hope the bills have his replacement in mind...we will need to find more reliable pass catchers out of the backfield because Beasley serves as an extension of that position, and is a superb safety net for Josh...

Sanders, have read he's actually better in the slot than as #2.  And then make Davis #2.  And sign one other FA who's a mid level WR and should be just as good.  Allen will make players much better than they are. Give any WR enough time, he'll always get open.  Allen has ability to extend plays to make that happen.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.