Rolling Stones to retire “Brown Sugar” due to racist lyrics

Brennan Huff

1 hour ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

well I mean they're removing cartoons, pancake mix, rice, statues, flags...................................hell, might as well remove a song.

Think this got rolling with the removal of Dukes of Hazzard toy cars from stores.

On 10/14/2021 at 10:15 AM, RaoulDuke79 said:

I always interpreted it as a complimentary song.

YIkes.

On 10/14/2021 at 11:52 AM, T&C said:

Don't see where they said they were going to retire it... they said they might bring it back.

"“We’ve played ‘Brown Sugar’ every night since 1970,” Richards told the newspaper.  “So sometimes you think, ‘We’ll take that one out for now and see how it goes.’ We might put it back in.”

On 10/14/2021 at 10:48 AM, Greg S said:

If songs are being "retired" because of PC BS then shouldn't 90% of rap songs be "retired' as well?

I think the point of "retiring" a song is that the artists themselves decide they will pull it from their playlist.

Didn't the Stones already retire a very popular song ("Sympathy for the Devil") from their live shows, long ago, after Altemont? [Edit: I looked it up, no, that's a myth]

IMHO when the artist decides to retire a song, that is their choice and I don't see where all the talk about some nebulous "they" and "cancelling" comes in.

• Vomit 1

10 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

All this will pass!  Remember a few years ago when some had a problem with Somethin for Nothin lyrics.  A Toronto station played it non-stop for 24 hrs., in protest of the perceived "problem.". That was 7-8 years ago, and all forgotten now.

Apparently not.

• Haha (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think the point of "retiring" a song is that the artists themselves decide they will pull it from their playlist.

Didn't the Stones already retire a very popular song ("Sympathy for the Devil") from their live shows, long ago, after Altemont? [Edit: I looked it up, no, that's a myth]

IMHO when the artist decides to retire a song, that is their choice and I don't see where all the talk about some nebulous "they" and "cancelling" comes in.

I saw the stones 2 weeks ago and they played sympathy for the devil

But I remember that myth

21 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

or when they removed "song of the south" but you know. Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, zip-a-dee-ay

“Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah” will no longer play at Disneyland Resort due to its “racist” history

my, oh my, what wonderful day...

And when they changed "sitting Indian Style" to "Criss Cross Applesauce". 

• Agree 1

On 10/16/2021 at 11:35 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

YIkes.

On, the “yikes” about this song being ‘complimentary’,  I would not have used that particular word, but I understand the sentiment. 

The Stones are rock and roll giants of course, but I never really cared enough to see them live, or buy their fancy 8 tracks.  

Anyway, when that song comes on the FM radio, I mumble through most of it not really thinking too much about words I’m not completely sure of.  I thought it was about defying societal norms and the pursuit of forbidden love if only for 10-30 minutes from the perspective of the songwriter.   Reading the lyrics today, yeah, I can see I may have missed a bit.  

I heard the other that “Paradise by the Dashboard Light” has very little to do with baseball. I don’t know how much more I can take.    

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 10/14/2021 at 10:13 AM, Bill from NYC said:

When my daughter (who is 1/2 Puerto Rican) was doing her undergrad at Dartmouth, she wrote a paper about how the movie "West Side Story" set back Puerto Rican women "20 - 30 years". She cited the character "Anita" saying how she liked it that Bernardo was alway so hot after a rumble (or words to that affect). Also, the fact that the ever so pure "Maria" was ready for sex with a man who just killed her brother. I would bet money that this outrageous scenario never happened in world history. Quite the contrary. Interestingly, she didn't think that the intent of the movie was to be offensive. 

The paper turned out to be something of a big deal at her school and her points above (along with other observations) were actually pretty tough to argue against. I mean really, a romp in the hay after I killed your brother? Yeah, OK. I had seen the movie numerous times and she had never brought up her views on it.  I also admit that I never gave any thought to her valid claims before I read her paper.

My question is, should "West Side Story" be cancelled? I think not. Despite the above, there was also a good message, however dated. But many folks have every right (imo) to be offended by this movie if they choose to. 

So, what should we do?

Does your daughter know that "West Side Story" is based off of "Romeo & Juliet"?

Similar parallels. Does she find that wrong too? 

8 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Does your daughter know that "West Side Story" is based off of "Romeo & Juliet"?

C'mon Bro, really? Yes, she might have a clue.

On 10/16/2021 at 11:41 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think that artists should cave into political pressure to cancel. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.