Rolling Stones to retire “Brown Sugar” due to racist lyrics

Brennan Huff

3 hours ago, Greg S said:

If songs are being "retired" because of PC BS then shouldn't 90% of rap songs be "retired' as well?

baaaaam-trailer-pa.gif

Almost seems like it's not the message, but who delivers the message in what forum. Music is art so that is open for interpretation. Business is Business. Toe the line.

Edited by RaoulDuke79
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, gdabillsfan said:

I was always told that the song had hidden meanings. The line "scared old slaver" was sky dog slaver, referring to Duane Allman, his nickname because he was all ways high. Brown sugar was referring to heroin.

The Stones always put innuendos in their songs 

But mick was absolutely talking about the historical context of slavery as well.. he knows how to mix sex drugs pleasure and history 

Original title of the song was black p****, he even thought it was too insensitive 

But the opening line... Gold Coast slave ship bound for the cotton fields.. absolutely sets the stage for the song

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

When my daughter (who is 1/2 Puerto Rican) was doing her undergrad at Dartmouth, she wrote a paper about how the movie "West Side Story" set back Puerto Rican women "20 - 30 years". She cited the character "Anita" saying how she liked it that Bernardo was alway so hot after a rumble (or words to that affect). Also, the fact that the ever so pure "Maria" was ready for sex with a man who just killed her brother. I would bet money that this outrageous scenario never happened in world history. Quite the contrary. Interestingly, she didn't think that the intent of the movie was to be offensive. 

The paper turned out to be something of a big deal at her school and her points above (along with other observations) were actually pretty tough to argue against. I mean really, a romp in the hay after I killed your brother? Yeah, OK. I had seen the movie numerous times and she had never brought up her views on it.  I also admit that I never gave any thought to her valid claims before I read her paper.

My question is, should "West Side Story" be cancelled? I think not. Despite the above, there was also a good message, however dated. But many folks have every right (imo) to be offended by this movie if they choose to. 

So, what should we do?

I think the best thing thing is to listen to people like your daughter and then determine if something should or could be done.  Discussion of Shakespeare's "the Merchant of Venice" has really heated up over the past 25 years. It's a fantastic play but also has some very troubling messaging. Lately, most productions have not tried to hide the concerning undertones and instead, highlight the problems in a productive way. It's very difficult to do.  Interesting to see what, if anything, Spielberg does in his upcoming movie. 

Conversely, IMO, the worst thing to do is ignore the issue. Art is meant to invoke feelings and in the case of "Brown Sugar," it's a great song but if the writers believe they made a mistake in it's meaning and/or lyrics, who are we to say they're wrong?

5 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

When my daughter (who is 1/2 Puerto Rican) was doing her undergrad at Dartmouth, she wrote a paper about how the movie "West Side Story" set back Puerto Rican women "20 - 30 years". She cited the character "Anita" saying how she liked it that Bernardo was alway so hot after a rumble (or words to that affect). Also, the fact that the ever so pure "Maria" was ready for sex with a man who just killed her brother. I would bet money that this outrageous scenario never happened in world history. Quite the contrary. Interestingly, she didn't think that the intent of the movie was to be offensive. 

The paper turned out to be something of a big deal at her school and her points above (along with other observations) were actually pretty tough to argue against. I mean really, a romp in the hay after I killed your brother? Yeah, OK. I had seen the movie numerous times and she had never brought up her views on it.  I also admit that I never gave any thought to her valid claims before I read her paper.

My question is, should "West Side Story" be cancelled? I think not. Despite the above, there was also a good message, however dated. But many folks have every right (imo) to be offended by this movie if they choose to. 

So, what should we do?

Original might be canceled, Spielberg’s remake is coming out at Xmas.

12 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

When will all this get to Rap lyrics, and, dare I say, the last 6-7 Super Bowl half time shows.

There's another thread about this, and several people were railing the OP, but in the interest of consistency I think it may be a valid question......As I mentioned I don't think it's about the message or content, I think it's about who is delivering it. The same phrases could be said by several different groups and would be judged differently. 

Edited by RaoulDuke79
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Brennan Huff said:

I agree Muppy. It’s only going to keep getting worse too

brennan I just realized something oh my. The expression "well hush my beak" was taken from the Disney Movie Dumbo (the black crows well lookey here did you see that elephant fly)..I always liked it cuz it meant shut my mouth. But the crows dialogue in that movie was seen as racially insensitive/inappropriate and I believe it has also been censured...well Hush My Beak!

SMH

and my friend pepe le pew hasnt faired well either.  He was an obnoxious skunk but I was never offended I liked his accent LOL

some times ya just gotta laugh. Funny isnt fun anymore depends on who you ask.

Yep.

Edited by Muppy

12 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

Art is meant to invoke feelings and in the case of "Brown Sugar," it's a great song but if the writers believe they made a mistake in it's meaning and/or lyrics, who are we to say they're wrong?

Agreed but I resent it when political lynch mobs want to force their opinions on others. Members of these mobs have their own crosses to bear, trust me.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

All this will pass!  Remember a few years ago when some had a problem with Somethin for Nothin lyrics.  A Toronto station played it non-stop for 24 hrs., in protest of the perceived "problem.". That was 7-8 years ago, and all forgotten now.

Brace yourself my friend. Christmas is rolling around again, so keep your ear plugs handy or otherwise be ready to experience all of the atrocities spewed forth in "Baby It's Cold Outside".

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.