Rolling Stones to retire “Brown Sugar” due to racist lyrics

Brennan Huff

1 minute ago, Brennan Huff said:

I always knew the song was about black women, but I guess I never really paid attention to the lyrics…

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1281459

***HUGE EYEROLL***** @-@ @-@ @-@ @-@ @-@ off the page goodness gracious SMH I prefer my sugar brown actually...........SMH 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Muppy said:

***HUGE EYEROLL***** @-@ @-@ @-@ @-@ @-@ off the page goodness gracious SMH I prefer my sugar brown actually...........SMH 

okay yeah I read the offensive lyrics welcome to 2021....I better hush my beak. Politics intruding on rock music......I shouldnt be shocked and Im not but I dont like it.....

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Brennan Huff said:

I like eating cream of wheat with a ton of brown sugar 

how come she dances so good.....I think cuz she likes it

Im sorry Brennan this stuff is getting on some of my last nerves just sayin'.......hushing my beak.

• Sad 1

Just now, Brennan Huff said:

I agree Muppy. It’s only going to keep getting worse too

smh thats all Ive got left Brennan................its 2021. 

3 minutes ago, Metal Man said:

Guess ZZ Top better take notice.

yeah Jesus left Chicago and was bound for New Orleans...someone gonna be mad about that too ? Not to belabor but I concur.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Muppy said:

yeah Jesus left Chicago and was bound for New Orleans...someone gonna be mad about that too ? Not to belabor but I concur.

Was actually referencing this:

But I wouldn't be surprised if someone got on to your thought as well.... or can even see a call to cancel Tush, Tube Snake Boogie, or Pearl Necklace. 
Ha, now that I think about it ZZ Top really did have a flair for the sexual innuendo in a lot of their tunes.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Metal Man said:

Was actually referencing this:

But I wouldn't be surprised if someone got on to your thought as well.... or can even see a call to cancel Tush, Tube Snake Boogie, or Pearl Necklace. 
Ha, now that I think about it ZZ Top really did have a flair for the sexual innuendo in a lot of their tunes.

The entirety of rock, rap, and pop is one big innuendo.  

• Like (+1) 3

Island Girl by Elton John:

I see your teeth flash, Jamaican honey so sweet
Down where Lexington cross 47th Street
Oh she's a big girl, she's standing six-foot three
Turning tricks for the dudes in the big city

Island girl
What you wanting with the white man's world?
Island girl
Black boy want you in his island world

He want to take you from the racket boss
He want to save you, but the cause is lost
Island girl, island girl, island girl
Tell me what you wanting with the white man's world

Well she's black as coal, but she burn like a fire
And she wrap herself around you like a well-worn tire
You feel her nail scratch your back just like a rake, oh oh
He one more gone, he one more John who make the mistake

Island girl
Island girl

Island girl
Island girl

When my daughter (who is 1/2 Puerto Rican) was doing her undergrad at Dartmouth, she wrote a paper about how the movie "West Side Story" set back Puerto Rican women "20 - 30 years". She cited the character "Anita" saying how she liked it that Bernardo was alway so hot after a rumble (or words to that affect). Also, the fact that the ever so pure "Maria" was ready for sex with a man who just killed her brother. I would bet money that this outrageous scenario never happened in world history. Quite the contrary. Interestingly, she didn't think that the intent of the movie was to be offensive. 

The paper turned out to be something of a big deal at her school and her points above (along with other observations) were actually pretty tough to argue against. I mean really, a romp in the hay after I killed your brother? Yeah, OK. I had seen the movie numerous times and she had never brought up her views on it.  I also admit that I never gave any thought to her valid claims before I read her paper.

My question is, should "West Side Story" be cancelled? I think not. Despite the above, there was also a good message, however dated. But many folks have every right (imo) to be offended by this movie if they choose to. 

So, what should we do?

Edited by Bill from NYC

18 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

So, what should we do?

This may be too simplistic for a lot of people but for me if there is a song, movie, actor, comedian.... that I don't like then I don't watch/listen to them.

There are definitely artists who rub me the wrong way that tons of people love and lots of shows/movies that give me negative reactions. In those cases I just avoid them going forward but in no way do I see a benefit in making everyone give them up to suit my personal preferences.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.