Can't wait until the Bills offense finally starts clicking

Billsfan1972

They had one dominating performance vs. Washington and played well vs. KC.  I thought too vs. KC they stumbled in the third quarter (remember back when that was an issue?), and frankly were very good, but not at their best.

I think Diggs is lagging behind last year, Beasley is an enigma & Davis maybe playing injured.  Sanders & Knox have been good.  

Josh was mediocre (or bad) vs. Pitt, played so so vs. Miami and average vs. Houston.  

I know the expectations are high and funny that we can nitpick, but I'm waiting for a game like those last year vs. Seattle, Denver or SF.

Forecast Monday is great vs. Tennessee and want to see an air show...... 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 4
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Dislike 4

7 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Davis has been a non factor after a really solid rookie season. 

Sanders is getting his targets. With Smoke injured, he was our #3 and got more snaps.  With 3WR on the field, it's been Sanders, Beasley, Diggs. With the emergence of Knox (thank you TE academy and school of catching) there is no need for a 4th WR on the field, especially since Knox is a dual threat to stay and block.  The other thing is that Moss has been a good safety valve and there haven't been as many 3rd and long's where we need the Davis style toe touch grab on a 10-15 yd out. 

Sanders is a lot better at finding the seams in the defense and getting separation. With Josh's pinpoint accuracy the need for the contested catch is not as relevant as last year. Daboll also seems to be scheming WR's open and having 3 great route runners like Sanders, Beasley and Diggs makes it so difficult to cover. 

Edited by TampaBillsJunkie
  • Like (+1) 3

I don't agree with OP's take and mainly because I don't think the focus is on scoring a bunch of points and trying to outlast the other team's Offense. I think the focus is on a better balance. Balance isn't necessarily 50/50 Run-Pass, but balance is in the efficacy of the running game in support of the obvious passing game based Offense Daboll runs. So, the numbers will look different than they did last year. 

For example, when Sal Capaccio shares his weekly updates of rankings by the Bills Offense and Defense, it can appear the Offense isn't quite producing because it so often has to do with yards, yards per play, etc. But the Defense is SOOOOO good that the Offense is often going a shorter distance and on fewer downs, so the T.O.P. might be down or the total yards might be less, but the efficiency shared between Offense-Defense-Special Teams brings a coalesced unit together that doesn't have huge numbers except when you consider the most important part of any team evaluation in sports: scoring. Highest scoring Offense with the lowest scoring Defense. 

I don't know if the Bills can sustain that kind of statistical domination over 17 games, but the fact we're just shy of 1/3 of the way through the season suggests, it's more than just a blip on the radar of this team's greatness.

• Like (+1) 3

22 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

They had one dominating performance vs. Washington and played well vs. KC.  I thought too vs. KC they stumbled in the third quarter (remember back when that was an issue?), and frankly were very good, but not at their best.

I think Diggs is lagging behind last year, Beasley is an enigma & Davis maybe playing injured.  Sanders & Knox have been good.  

I think what you are seeing is a team game.  Last year the offense went through Diggs and Beasley with some Davis sprinkled in,

This year it goes through Diggs, Beasley, Davis, Sanders, Knox and Moss.  With each passing game we look more and more like the NE Patriots during their peak years.  Each week is a different game plan that attacks the defense's style of play and weakness.  No one is getting 150+ targets this year.  Add in the emergence of somewhat of a run game and that too changes the Air Allen-Diggs show from last year..  

But I do agree with your point.  We are still waiting for that Bills-v-SF type game from last year.  It's coming and I strongly suspect we will see it this week.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Josh was mediocre (or bad) vs. Pitt, played so so vs. Miami and average vs. Houston.  

I know the expectations are high and funny that we can nitpick, but I'm waiting for a game like those last year vs. Seattle, Denver or SF.

They have the number 1 scoring offense....and they aren't clicking? Not satisfied? 

SMH

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Rockinon said:

I've watched every game so far and it does seem like the offense, with a newly revived rushing attack and how about Dawson Knox, is on the verge of really busting out. Some team is going to absolutely be obliterated soon. Maybe this weekend.

Please let it be against the Jets. Watching that from MetLife on Nov 14 would be sweet.

• Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I'm sure the "stumble" in the third quarter had as much to do with KC adjusting to the Bills O which they kept under wraps until that game (those bunch formations with 2 TE often).  Then it looked like Dabol adjusted to their pressure.  I do agree, though, they can get better.

27 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I think the DVOA rankings has them 12th or so in the league which seems about right…. Agree with your post. They haven’t clicked like they did last year but they’ve been more than fine thanks for a much improved defense to this point…. And their running game is much better. 

Davis has been a non factor after a really solid rookie season. 

Someone will get hurt probably and Davis will be able to step in. Nice having a deep roster. 

• Like (+1) 1

We’ve scored over 35 points how many weeks in a row?  We’ve beaten a team 40 to nothing?  And yet we’re still waiting for the offense to get it together or for them to obliterate some team?   

If we’re not happy with double digit wins and scoring 4-5 touch downs per game, then I’m afraid we’ll never be happy.    They don’t have to score on every drive to be successful.  They don’t need players to lead the league in their respective categories to be successful.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

10 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

With how banged up they are I don’t think it will be needed. Maybe Daboll will throw a few wrinkles in like he did with Houston and the 2 TE sets. This almost felt like practice for using it against KC. 

Maybe.  But this and the Bucs games are the 2 biggest tests left.  

13 minutes ago, Dan said:

We’ve scored over 35 points how many weeks in a row?  We’ve beaten a team 40 to nothing?  And yet we’re still waiting for the offense to get it together or for them to obliterate some team?   

If we’re not happy with double digit wins and scoring 4-5 touch downs per game, then I’m afraid we’ll never be happy.    They don’t have to score on every drive to be successful.  They don’t need players to lead the league in their respective categories to be successful.

WE are. SOME people aren’t…..

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.