Do You Curse During and At Bills Games?

WotAGuy

Do you curse during and at Bills games?  

236 members have voted

1. 1. Do you curse while watching Bills games?

• No, never - it’s a sin
    • Yes, but politely (darn it, jeepers, criminey, etc)
    • Yes, but no f-bombs
    • Yes - full blown Tourette’s
  2. 2. Do you curse out loud at the stadium?

• No - it’s rude and obnoxious
    • Yes - but I keep it civil
    • Yes - full blown Tourette’s

I actually don’t. I’ve learned to control my emotions and realize that honestly there isn’t much I can do on whether they win or lose. 

There are times when I’m angry or disappointed in the inside but I also have seasons and don’t scream on defense just watch the game for all its intricate details. I think sometimes the people around me wonder if I’m a Bills fan at all

Age and this modern version of the Bills have healed my Tourettes by about 95%.  However after the Music City Miracle the police paid a visit after a neighbor had believed someone was dying in my apartment. All they needed to do was see my Bills jersey when I answered the door and they offered their condolences. We buried my Bills hat in the backyard and they gave a 21 gun salute for the fallen soldiers of Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Depends how stupid and boneheaded the play was., or how bad a ref's call. I'm actually really chill when the dog is on the coach with me. It scares her. She thinks I'm cursing her out. She knows that f-bombs are not good.

its a conditioning process in my home. i remember accidentally scaring my daughter when she was a few months old, in my defense it was an excited yell, not the angry variety.  shes 6 now and yells at the tv during the games with me, which is probably my fav thing on earth.

were still conditioning the dog a little, its his 2nd season and hes doin better but not quite the savy veteran my daughter is lol he like the excitement, and hides after turnovers

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, teef said:

In public, I swear in other languages to seem less boorish. 

Since my first language is Québécois, I should use some TABARNAK to spice up the crowd experience ha ha

At home, I'm bad. In the stadium, I've mostly behaved. I have kids so I get it ha ha.

When the fins were visiting the Bills years ago, some guys in the crowd, AFTER a win no less. were throwing empty beer cans at a dude in a fish tshirt walking out with his about 5 yo son. Talk about overkill.

• Agree 1

Nah, I don't like to swear in front of my kids (home) or other kids (stadium).  I might be compelled to drop the occasional expletive when there's a particularly egregious officiating call that costs us a game, but it's not often.  Now, if I'm watching a game with a bunch of dudes at a viewing party or whatever, I let it rip like a sailor. 

I learned how to swear at Bills games and I pass the tradition along whenever possible.

13 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

When the fins were visiting the Bills years ago, some guys in the crowd, AFTER a win no less. were throwing empty beer cans at a dude in a fish tshirt walking out with his about 5 yo son. Talk about overkill.

At least they were empty.

13 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

At the stadium I'm always careful not to use foul language because of the all the kids/families around.  I try to use creative alternatives that allow me to vent but not upset parents. 

A few years ago while watching the Bills play down here in Cincinnati I called a ref, who made a terrible call, a "nincompoop".  A mom turned around laughing and said she hadn't heard that one in decades.

Other "curses" I use while AT the stadiums are:  Nitwit, dingbat, cockroach, incompetent, corrupt and apparatchik.  As you can guess almost all of my comments are aimed at the refs.

At home it's a completely different matter as the kids are out of the house.  In that environment I swear up a storm.  The only exception is if I'm watching the game with the grand kids then I default to my stadium vocabulary.

CHEESE AND CRACKERS is my Go To....lol

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Over the years, I have tried to temper my emotions during the games.  It hasn't worked very well.  I try not to scare my wife and kids.  All that said, I lead a very busy life with a lot of stress and very little free time, so the Bills games are a bit of an escape for me and an opportunity to emote.  So, yes, I curse loudly and frequently during Bills games.  The good news is that in the last couple of seasons, they have been curses of joy and elation and not of anger and disappointment like in the past....

I should add that this is my behavior while watching the game at home.  When out in public (at a sports bar or stadium), I keep it a little bit more in check.  My wife and kids are stuck with me, but I don't want to scare or offend other people and I don't want to end up in jail or be taken away to a padded room in a straight jacket.

Edited by msw2112

I curse at home but usually don't at the stadium.  I used to go to every home game but now I'm down to a home game & a game in NJ & sometimes Baltimore.   I also used to go to a non-Bills game a year in California but haven't since 2018.  

One time I was in the upper deck in the early 90s & got mad & yelled out "Where's the f'n defense"  I got a lot of nasty looks & comments & learned to cut out the cursing at games.  I doubt I'd get that response today since the crowd has gotten a lot ruder & cruder than it was 30 years ago.  

There was a time in the 1988 when I was in NE & the Patriots fans started throwing beer cans at me after I stood up & cheered a sack by the Bills. I then got up looked at the security and screamed loud enough for the whole section to hear me "They're throwing beer cans at me, if one of them hits me I'll sue your f***ing stadium." They ignored me & pretty soon after I had to leave my friends & join a group of Bills fans where it was safer to sit. 

Edited by Albany,n.y.

I'm more likely to swear at home than in public (bar or game) unless I've had a few too many and the Bills are losing, then it can get ugly. When I watch the games at home, my poor dog also gets anxious after the first bad call because she thinks she did something wrong.

The Bills-Houston WC game in 2019 was really ugly. I was at a bar and was fairly drunk because of the company in which I watched it (I generally watch playoffs at home by myself and limit the alcohol so there are no distractions). Despite it being a late game at a bar, there was a family in my vicinity with a son who looked like he was 12. When the game started to unravel, I started to unravel. After that horrendous blindside block call on Ford I'm pretty sure I repeated the pattern of dropping an MFer, blaspheming with a JFC or a JMFC, lamenting the direction the game was taking with some very colorful language, and then directing an apology to the kid and his family at least 10-15 times. I reconciled the whole thing with "who brings their kid to a late Bills playoff game at a bar and doesn't expect to hear language like that; at least I apologized..." of course, I did follow up every apology with another string of expletives that would make a trucker blush. 🤷‍♀️

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.