Adam Schefter issue with Bruce (not Josh :) ) Allen emails - had Bruce Allen edit his news story

CorkScrewHill

These national NFL 'insider" reporters have many cozy relationships with their sources.  Executives, players, coaches, agents, whomever.  They would not want to publish any content that burns their source.  It might be factually incorrect, go beyond the scope of the sources wishes or it may include some context that reveals the identity of the source, assuming they wish to remain unidentified.  Seems logical to me.  

If Schefter was a journalist in a more serious realm of journalism this would be a huge issue for me personally. But this is sports not really all that serious that you are cozy with sources. In fact there is very little difference to give a source editorial control of a specific article than if they just feed you the information they want out there. Schefter will take some heat for this but if this is the extent of what he said he will be fine. 

8 minutes ago, stevewin said:

Jeebus - almost gave me a heart attack in title with "issue with Allen emails"

Thought they were te hashing the stuff from the draft time…, 

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Whopping Nothingburger here. Common practice and nothing nefarious. In this specific instance.

This is absolutely normal and nothing to see.  I work for a Fortune 500 company and we do media interviews on new products and other initiatives.  Its not at all uncommon for journalists to come back and check that they got everything right and nothing was mis-stated before publishing.  They don't want to have to issue retractions or corrections.  There is nothing wrong with this particular item.  This does NOT go to the topic of "trust in media"

Edited by cage
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• CorkScrewHill changed the title to Adam Schefter issue with Bruce (not Josh :) ) Allen emails - had Bruce Allen edit his news story
29 minutes ago, cage said:

This is absolutely normal and nothing to see.  I work for a Fortune 500 company and we do media interviews on new products and other initiatives.  Its not at all uncommon for journalists to come back and check that they got everything right and nothing was mis-stated before publishing.  They don't want to have to issue retractions or corrections.  There is nothing wrong with this particular item.  This does NOT go to the topic of "trust in media"

I think we are missing some context of the story.  The fact that he’s calling him “Mr. Editor” is a little weird

38 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

Calling Schefter a journalist is a bit of a stretch. “Paid shill” would be more accurate.

Most of the “NFL Insiders” are like Jason LaCanfora or Ian Rapaport.  You see this all the time during hiring season for coaches.  Surprisingly candidates who belong to the same agency suddenly become “hot” candidates 

The way I'm reading this is that Allen was a source, and in a trade off, Schefter basically allowed him to review the story in case there was anything incorrect or misrepresented.  I don't think anyone would be surprised that Schefter is operating like this.  I feel like Deadspin's old motto - "Sports News Without Access, Favor, or Discretion" was a direct shot across the bow at Schefter and guys like him.

8 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

“Mr. Editor” is a little weird

Yeah, that's the part that gets me.  Asking a source to look at an article to make sure he has been quoted fairly is common practice...but to say "Mr. Editor" as if Allen gets final say on the article, even if done jokingly, seems odd.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.