Best free agent signing ever?

McBean

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

If accurate, then immediately goes to the top of the list. But are we really counting UDFAs here? Seems more like a discussion around established players who came from other teams. Great suggestion. Tough call (on UDFAs).

He was signed from a defunct league, no one in the NFL had his rights, same deal as a CFL signing.

Jack Kemp was claimed from the waiver wire.  Only Bills QB to end the season [twice] with a W in a championship game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Rico said:

Nice except Hyde was a McD gem.

Could be, but Whaley's record with lower profile FA signings was strong and McD was pulling info from a lot of people to find his players.(Personally, Hyde was my top free agent target for Buffalo and shouldn't have been lower profile, but he was).

IMO, the 2017 draft was mostly intel he stole from Carolina with the help of Beane.........Tre White as a no brainer, he was IMO at the time the best CB prospect in the draft(over the more gifted Lattimore even) so if I could see that, any pro personnel guy should.........but I certainly don't believe that Dawkins and Milano go in Whaley's ledger (and Zay Jones was basically selected by McD's ***** WR coach hire Phil McGeoghan).

But regarding Hyde.......the fact is that Beane's free agent and trade acquisitions were VERY sh*tty for the first 14 months or so................so I gotta' give Whaley and staff some pro personnel credit on the Hyde signing.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

Could be, but Whaley's record with lower profile FA signings was strong and McD was pulling info from a lot of people to find his players.(Personally, Hyde was my top free agent target for Buffalo and shouldn't have been lower profile, but he was).

IMO, the 2017 draft was mostly intel he stole from Carolina with the help of Beane.........Tre White as a no brainer, he was IMO at the time the best CB prospect in the draft(over the more gifted Lattimore even) so if I could see that, any pro personnel guy should.........but I certainly don't believe that Dawkins and Milano go in Whaley's ledger (and Zay Jones was basically selected by McD's ***** WR coach hire Phil McGeoghan).

But regarding Hyde.......the fact is that Beane's free agent and trade acquisitions were VERY sh*tty for the first 14 months or so................so I gotta' give Whaley and staff some pro personnel credit on the Hyde signing.

Whaley may have been an idiot, but he had his strength and finding gem FAs was one.

1 minute ago, BruceVilanch said:

Takeo was great, a shame him and Fletcher were caught in the heart of the drought.

Spikes-Fletcher-Crowell may have been the best LB core we ever had.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2017/12/how_did_buffalo_bills_land_micah_hyde_in_free_agency_ask_the_green_bay_packers.html
McD wanted him on the team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Whaley may have been an idiot, but he had his strength and finding gem FAs was one.

Spikes-Fletcher-Crowell may have been the best LB core we ever had.

8 minutes ago, nucci said:

Talley-Bennett-Conlin

I’ll put up Tracey, Stratton & Jacobs as Best Ever

20 minutes ago, Rico said:

Fantastic article, @Rico Thanks!

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, McBean said:

Is it Micah Hyde?

I’m 31 so I’m sure some of you that are older will disagree but IMO Micah Hyde is the best free agent signing the Bills ever made.

When Micah was signed it was year 1 of the McDermott era. Hyde set the tone. Leader, incredible player, and is so underrated. Thinking about it this morning I wanted to pose the question to the board…who’s the best Bills free agent signing of all time?

Salute to Micah for all he’s done for this team. Seeing him score the pick 6 on Sunday night..I couldn’t help to think that the turnaround all started with HIM. 

I was shocked that Green Bay didn't re-sign him.   I had just watched him in the GB v Dallas playoff game and he played lights out.  I said at the time, I would love it if the Bills could get him.  And we did!

• Like (+1) 1

In terms of longevity you can’t argue against Hyde/Poyer for most other signings. A lot of the common responses in my opinion aren’t as good as Hyde and Poyer but one is as good and one is better.

Spikes - Had two great seasons in 2003-2004. But he was hurt in 2005 and not as effective in 2006. Then he was traded. 

Bryce Paup- Had a fantastic DPOY in his first year but then was hurt in 1996 and turned in a solid but not fantastic 1997 before he left. Certainly a greater peak but not a lot of longevity.

Ted Washington- This is one that has both the longevity and production to rival Hyde/Poyer. Washington was in Buffalo for 6 seasons and made 3 Pro Bowls and was a rock solid starter all 6 years. I think Hyde and Poyer will need to put in 2 more seasons of high end production to edge out Ted. 

London Fletcher- He was in Buffalo for 5 seasons and was healthy and productive all 5 seasons. Although Fletcher never got even a Pro Bowl in his years here that is a travesty as he was a really good player. This one you could argue is currently as good as Hyde/Poyer but if Hyde/Poyer give you one more season you give them the edge.

James Lofton- Was in Buffalo for 4 seasons but was hurt most of his first year. Three productive seasons followed but I would put the Hyde/Poyer combo over them.

Edited by billsfan89
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, BearNorth said:

He was signed from a defunct league, no one in the NFL had his rights, same deal as a CFL signing.

Jack Kemp was claimed from the waiver wire.  Only Bills QB to end the season [twice] with a W in a championship game.

and 2 playoff loses. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.