Best free agent signing ever?

McBean

Mario Williams.  

The Bills made Mario the highest paid defensive player in league history at the time and shattered the notion that free agents won't sign in Buffalo and the Bills won't pay top dollar.  I think that signing went a long way into Buffalo repairing their reputation after the lean years and the Jason Peters/Wade Philips fiascos.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

April 27th Bills trade away pick to KC that winds up being Mahommes.  Whoever was making those moves has to own the good and the bad.  

It would be quite interesting to know the true details.  Bills not only fired Whaley they fired almost the entire scouting staff as well.  

One day I will take the time to write a book called “The Drought Years” that will set the record straight once and for all. The above will be in one of the final chapters.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

For sure they got a slice of luck. You need that sometimes. But the fact Josh has ended up elite definitely covers that mistake to a large extent.

With QB's........it really comes down to team wins in the court of public opinion..........and Tom Brady is doing his part to make sure that narrative can't be changed anytime soon.

Allen and McD are one SB win and 2 AFC championships(one at their expense) behind Mahomes.

As a Bills fan who endured the rich Shula's getting richer after the Bills passed on Dan Marino and lost their own selection to the USFL.........I know the tables can turn and gotta' like my teams chances.   Reid's getting old.   The Chiefs have done some stupid things like drafting a RB in round 1.   There is an opportunity for the Bills to take the crown this year and maybe have a superior roster in 2022, 2023.....

But the deficit exists and until it doesn't,  that Mahomes trade looks like a Lombardi+ at McD's expense. 

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

With QB's........it really comes down to team wins in the court of public opinion..........and Tom Brady is doing his part to make sure that narrative can't be changed anytime soon.

Allen and McD are one SB win and 2 AFC championships(one at their expense) behind Mahomes.

As a Bills fan who endured the rich Shula's getting richer after the Bills passed on Dan Marino and lost their own selection to the USFL.........I know the tables can turn and gotta' like my teams chances.   Reid's getting old.   The Chiefs have done some stupid things like drafting a RB in round 1.   There is an opportunity for the Bills to take the crown this year and maybe have a superior roster in 2022, 2023.....

But the deficit exists and until it doesn't,  that Mahomes trade looks like a Lombardi+ at McD's expense. 

I get that. We don't know until we know. But I feel very good about where the Bills are. And to bring in 5 of your top 7 or 8 guys in one offseason when you are a coach not a personnel guy is still a fair old feat.

15 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

You don't know that for sure. But let's say you are correct then you have to also saddle McD alone with passing on Mahommes

I think Rico's narrative is, any bad moves are 100% on Whaley. Any good moves were, clearly, made by someone else. In reality, IMO of course, his legacy is far more complex than that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

37 minutes ago, The Dean said:

I think Rico's narrative is, any bad moves are 100% on Whaley. Any good moves were, clearly, made by someone else. In reality, IMO of course, his legacy is far more complex than that.

No, I give him 100% credit for Lorax & Shady, and no blame for drafting EJ (keeping him on the team is another story).

The true way of looking at is that he owns everything from when Buddy Nix left to when McD got hired.

On 10/13/2021 at 11:39 AM, unbillievable said:

B. Paup

J. Lofton

T. Spikes

J. Poyer *

C. Spielman

L. Fletcher

M. Hyde*

D. Flutie

M. Williams

M. Morse*

C. Beasley*

T. Owens

T. Washington

C. Clay

L. Centers

E. Sanders*

*Active. Impact may change.

It's a very good list, but I think Steve Christie should be on it! I would rank him higher than Owens, Clay, Centers, Morse, and Sanders for sure. 

On 10/13/2021 at 12:12 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

2. Bryce Paup..........gotta' give it to Paup because of his NFLDPOY year...........one of the greatest seasons in Bills history.

As i recall, we played Green Bay on Thanksgiving the year before we signed Bryce and he destroyed us. When we signed him I was jumping for joy.

I remember Bruce saying that he told Bryce that if he kept it up, he would be the DPOY. Quite the compliment coming from an all time great. Bryce hit like a truck. He was as strong as an ox and would extend his long arms and make play after play before he got hurt. His sacks were particularly violent.

You and I were at the game against the Colts where I couldn't believe Harbaugh survived. He took hits from Bryce, Bruce, and Hansen that could have killed him. As I recall he was sacked 6 times and took even more hits. 

I always respected Harbaugh as a badass after that game. He is one tough SOB. 

22 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He was really good........I think they got what they could have reasonably expected from Mario.........but cost is a big factor, IMO.

Imo Schobel and Mario were both virtually our entire pass rush when they were here. Jauron and Rex really screwed them up too imo. 

Maybe I'm just partial but I think that both of them were VERY good players. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Imo Schobel and Mario were both virtually our entire pass rush when they were here. Jauron and Rex really screwed them up too imo. 

Maybe I'm just partial but I think that both of them were VERY good players. 

Edwards and Wannstandt were the ones who I thought really botched it. 

Pettine and Schwartz got a ton out of the group though.

Remember when our defense stared Kyle Williams at nose tackle….

(I think Gailey and Cam would have broken the draught had he fallen to 3 or us having the first pick)

Edited by Mango

3 minutes ago, Mango said:

Edwards and Wannstandt were the ones who I thought really botched it. 

Pettine and Schwartz got a ton out of the group though.

Remember when our defense stared Kyle Williams at nose tackle….

(I think Gailey and Cam would have broken the draught had he fallen to 3 or us having the first pick)

Our coaches had Schobel lining up so wide that he was near the sideline on some plays. It was sickening. They had Mario, a GREAT DE,  dropping into coverage, and sometimes Dareus would be standing there doing jumping jacks at the LOS. He looked like a trained seal.

I am glad that it appears as if the young fans will not have to suffer through the idiocy that we did. But we hung in there as fans, no? :) 

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.