Greg Rousseau DPOW

17islongenough

Just now, CaliBills said:

Especially with the braces (i can relate) they can make you sound alot younger.

Looks like he cut off the top of his hair as well (no more floppy hair)

It must be really demoralizing to a QB or RB to be destroyed in the backfield by an overgrown kid with braces!  I picture him saying "sorry mister" and smiling at the guy on the ground!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

McDermott was very resistant to the praise of Rousseau by reporters

It was a little more than that, IMO. What I heard coach say was like, let's not get him fitted for his yellow jacket quite yet... Honestly, this is a nice honor for him, but he still needs to work on his game. (paraphrased, of course - not McDermott's words)

The correct stance for a coach discussing a rookie.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

1 minute ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

McDermott was very resistant to the praise of Rousseau by reporters

That's just McD, he never wants anyone to get too high, especially a rookie.

28 minutes ago, Stranded in Boston said:

In addition to his athleticism and size, Rousseau plays incredibly smart football. He displays fantastic vision, both on the edge and when he drops into short zone coverage. What a great draft pick. ... And for my fellow old-timers here, I was surprised that Joe Cribbs wasn't among the former Bills rookies who won a POW award. I can't recall a first-year Bills player with a bigger impact than Cribbs -- 12 TDs his rookie year.  

His instincts are very impressive for a rookie, especially a DE. You could see it in college and it's fantastic to see that the NFL isn't too big or too fast for him. He got dinged by some scouts/pundits/teams for his "clean up" sacks in college, but really that was him playing smart football. He doesn't fly up field and take himself out of the plays. He goes outside shoulder and reads the QB, he's a great compliment to Hughes on the other side.. He'll never have the bend like Von Miller or Reggie White, but he doesn't need it to have a huge impact.

His run D is super impressive as well. He can play any down and you aren't worried that he'll be exploited. I saw a clip from @yardsperpass where he sniffed out a screen pass and forced an incompletion. The kid is playing at a level I would have been thrilled with at this time next year. Great work by the Bills scouts and front office.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

Definitely well deserved. I'd say the game isn't too big for the kid, but we kinda knew that, considering how big Groot is.

how dumb do other GM's feel after McBeanes drafts HA I mean guys like Groot , Brown,  Gabe Davis, Boogie!! so sorry they're Bills u snooze u lose BEANE NEVER SLEEPS :-)))))

m

Edited by Muppy
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, elroy16 said:

That's just McD, he never wants anyone to get too high, especially a rookie.

His instincts are very impressive for a rookie, especially a DE. You could see it in college and it's fantastic to see that the NFL isn't too big or too fast for him. He got dinged by some scouts/pundits/teams for his "clean up" sacks in college, but really that was him playing smart football. He doesn't fly up field and take himself out of the plays. He goes outside shoulder and reads the QB, he's a great compliment to Hughes on the other side.. He'll never have the bend like Von Miller or Reggie White, but he doesn't need it to have a huge impact.

His run D is super impressive as well. He can play any down and you aren't worried that he'll be exploited. I saw a clip from @yardsperpass where he sniffed out a screen pass and forced an incompletion. The kid is playing at a level I would have been thrilled with at this time next year. Great work by the Bills scouts and front office.

I went back and watched his college tape when we drafted him.  I thought he was big, gangly, athletic - but not particularly strong.   That worried me.  I thought he'd need a year just to get tougher and more muscular.  

But I really thought the argument that  he was getting clean up sacks was overblown.  The kid was making plays in college, often using his length/wingspan to his advantage.

So far with the Bills, though, he seems strong enough to handle himself against NFL competition.  Maybe he spent a lot of time in the gym during his Covid off year.  Whatever happened, for me, his effectiveness as a rookie has been a very pleasant surprise.  

Congrats Groot!

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I went back and watched his college tape when we drafted him.  I thought he was big, gangly, athletic - but not particularly strong.   That worried me.  I thought he'd need a year just to get tougher and more muscular.  

But I really thought the argument that  he was getting clean up sacks was overblown.  The kid was making plays in college, often using his length/wingspan to his advantage.

So far with the Bills, though, he seems strong enough to handle himself against NFL competition.  Maybe he spent a lot of time in the gym during his Covid off year.  Whatever happened, for me, his effectiveness as a rookie has been a very pleasant surprise.  

Congrats Groot!

The clean up sacks thing really bothered me. 

Do you know what they call a person that graduates last from medical school? Doctor.

A clean up sack is a sack. He made the play that was on the field to be made. So, in a world where everyone over-analyzes everything, one of the only things draft pundits can bang an 18 year old kid for, is not making the sack faster?

Silly.

Edited by JDubya76
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2

With the sorry group of offenses we're about to go against, I have a feeling his DROY stock is only going to go up.  Not sure if he can overtake Micah Parsons or Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, but he should have a shot.  

After Tenessee we have a bye, then it's:

Miami

Jacksonville

NY Jets

Indianapolis

New Orleans

New England

Tampa Bay

Carolina

New England

Atlanta

NY Jets

I have a feeling our Defense will finish the year first in most categories, and it may not be close.

Edited by Captain Caveman
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Very impressed with Groot so far.  The play he made on the INT Monday was very reminiscent of a play I recall Bruce making back in the day.  Not comparing Groot with Smith, but the athleticism it takes to first get your hands up, and then catch your batted ball in a lateral motion was impressive.   Hoping its only up from here!

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.