The Edmunds Report - Week 5, Bills v. Chefs, 10/10/21

Freddie's Dead

The highly anticipated Week 5 Bills v. Chefs edition of The Edmunds Report is here (had to wait for the NFL Network replay because some idiot forgot to extend the DVR recording after the lightning delay).  I will state what I see on a play, then assign a point system -1, 0, +1, and keep a running total.  I'll ignore plays where he's not involved and only look at coverage if he's onscreen (I don't have the All-22).  I'll also flag plays for the haterz so they can skip the rest.  Based on feedback, I'll also be looking at plays where 49 is rushing the passer to determine his relative effectiveness there.  Let's go to the tape.

Chefs 1st possession

2nd and 10, KC 43 - 49 drops shallow, PM INC to Hardman (+1,+1) 

3rd and 10, KC 43 - 49 covers RB in flat, PM scrambles the other way for 10 yards (0,+1)

1st and 10, BUF 47 - 49 drops to cover Kelce, PM scrambles and throws OB (+1,+2)

2nd and 10, BUF 47 - Middle run, 49 blocked 8 yards downfield away from run (HATERZ PLAY), 5 yard gain (-1,+1) 

3rd and 1, BUF 38 - Middle run, 49 late to hole (HATERZ PLAY), 1st down (-1,0)

1st and 10, BUF 36 - 49 drops, PM scrambles for 3 yards (+1,+1)

1st and 5, BUF 23 (WTF??  After the Chefs were holding, Jesus) - 49 drops, PM complete to BBQ Pringle, 49 makes tackle for 6 yard gain and 1st down (+1,+2) Good play by 49, not his fault the refs ***** up the spot and down/distance.  McD going ape#### on sidelines...

1st and 10, BUF 17 - 49 drops, PM pulls it down, scrambles for 3 (+1,+3)

3rd and 12, BUF 22 - 49 covers RB in the flat, PM INC to Tyreek (+1,+4)

Chefs 2nd possession

1st and 10, KC 20 - CEH up the gut, 49 blocked 6 yards downfield (HATERZ PLAY), makes tackle for 6 yard gain (-1,+3)

2nd and 4, KC 26 - 49 drops, PM scrambles 4 yards for a 1st down (0,+3)

2nd and 16, KC 39 - Chiefs go off-tackle, 49 slow to recognize, gets tangled up in bodies (HATERZ PLAY), 11 yard run (-1,+2)

1st and 10, BUF 36 - 49 drops, PM completes to RB 1 McKinnon in flat, 49 makes tackle for 9 yard gain (0,+2)

2nd and 2, BUF 10 - CEH middle run, 49 blocked (HATERZ PLAY), assists on tackle for 5 yard gain (-1,+1)

1st and Goal, BUF 5 - 49 drops, PM runs around, then slides at the 6 for the GROOT sack! (+1,+2)

Chefs 3rd possession

49 just dropped into coverage for these plays, no real impact, then KC ended up punting

Chefs 4th possession

1st and 10, KC 40 - 49 drops into deep zone, PM scrambles for 23 yards (-1,+1)

2nd and 10, BUF 37 - 49 drops to cover Tyreek, PM throws it into the ground (+1,+2)

4th and 5, BUF 32 - 49 drops and covers RB 1, PM lobs it up INC, huge 4th down stop (+1,+3)

Chefs 5th possession

2nd and 20, BUF 44 - 49 drops, covers Kelce, PM completes to Kelce, who slips away from 49's tackle (HATERZ PLAY), and gets OB to stop clock after an 8 yard gain (-1,+2)

First half observations

When 49 dropped into coverage, he was excellent.  Against the run, not so much.  He is not a run-stuffing thumper who will beat the runner to hole.  He's also overpowered by bigger OL, so lots of HATERZ PLAYs in the first half.  He's earning his money in coverage, because they rarely throw his way, and when they do, it's for small yardage (he gave up two completions for 14 yards).   

Chefs 6th possession

2nd and 11, KC 19 - 49 drops and covers Tyreek, PM dumps to Kelce for 11 yards and 1st down (0,+2)

2nd and 2, KC 41 - Pitch to CEH, 49 runs him down and abuses him for a 2 yard TFL (+1,+3)

3rd and 4, KC 39 - 49 drops, PM chucks the ball at 49's feet, rear naked choke on Addison declined for 4th down (+1,+4)

Chefs 7th possession

1st and 10, KC 8 - 49 drops into coverage, PM throws it away, camera shows 49 blanketing Kelce downfield (+1,+5)

2nd and 10, KC 8 - 49 drops, CEH screen, 49 chases and assists on tackle after 11 yard gain, CEH racked up (0,+5) 

1st and 10, KC 19 - 49 drops, quick slant to 17, 49 cleans up the tackle by Taron Johnson (0,+5)

2nd and 5, KC 24 - 49 drops on Kelce, PM throws ball into dirt INC to WR (+1,+6)

3rd and 5, KC 24 - 49 covers back in the flat, PM throws to Tyreek, off his hands, and "DR. JEKYLL AND" MICAH HYDE WITH THE PICK 6!!!! (+1,+7)

Chefs 8th possession

1st and 10, KC 25 - 49 drops to cover WR, PM rolls out, nowhere to go, lobs ball OB (+1,+8)

1st and 10, KC 47 - 49 drops, covers 81, complete to Kelce, 49 creams Kelce after 11 yard gain (0,+8)

1st and 10, BUF 42 - KC run, 49 blocked 5 yards downfield (HATERZ PLAY), sheds block to make tackle for 9 yard gain (-1,+7)

2nd and 10, BUF 25 - 49 drops, PM complete to Tyreek in seam (HATERZ PLAY) just behind 49 for a 15 yard gain and first down (-1,+6)

Chefs 9th possession

1st and 10, KC 48 - 49 drops, PM complete to RB in flat, breaks 49's tackle, but cleaned up by Taron Johnson for 6 yard gain (0,+6)

2nd and 5, BUF 10 - 49 drops, PM complete to RB in flat at BUF 9, 49 is 7-8 yards away at the catch, closes to make tackle at BUF 6, just short of 1st down (+1,+7) 

3rd and inches, BUF 6 - Middle run, 49 makes tackle at 1.5 yard line (HATERZ PLAY), first down KC (-1,+6)

1st and goal, BUF 1.5 - Quick flip out to Kelce, who walks in for the TD (HATERZ PLAY), 49 blocked at point of attack (-1,+5)

Chefs 10th possession

1st and 10, KC 23 - 49 drops, covers Tyreek, PM throws safety valve into the ground (+1,+6)

2nd and 10, KC 23 - 49 drops, covers Tyreek, PM completes to Tyreek, jukes 49 (HATERZ PLAY) and runs OB for 8 yard gain (-1,+5)

1st and 10, BUF 15 - 49 covers RB in the flat, PM pulls it down, slides at LOS (+1,+6)

Conclusions

1.  49 continues to show that his coverage skills are excellent.  Mahomes had nowhere to go all night long, while the Bills completely neutralized Kelce and Tyreek.  49 gave up three pass completions for 29 yards, by my count.

2.  Haterz will continue to cling to the fact that he is not the prototypical run-stuffing MLB.  Most of the HATERZ PLAYS I flagged this week were 49 being blocked downfield.  But when he does get there, he destroys whatever he's tackling.  Just ask CEH.

3.  49 did not rush the passer at all, as the Bills did not blitz in this game.  

4.  Biggest Bills road win in my 58-year lifetime, and 49 was a huge part of it.  I'm not bothered that he's not a run-stuffer.  It's a passing league, which makes it so much more important to cover WRs, TEs, and RBs.  The Titians and Henry will be a stiff test next week. 

5.  I'm glad I started doing this tape breakdown, because I understand 49's game so much better than I did at the beginning of the season. 

49 grades overall:

Squeelers - B+ (6 HATERZ PLAYs)

Fish - INC (DVR #### the bed)

WTF's - B- (7 HATERZ PLAYs)

Erlers - A+ (2 HATERZ PLAYs)

Chefs - A- (11 HATERZ PLAYs)

Edited by Freddie's Dead
  • Like (+1) 15
  • Awesome! (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 10

When Rex Ryan, Reggie Ragland, Shaq Lawson and their 3-4 defense left town, the 2 big thumper inside LBs scheme went with them.   Get used to it.   LBs in McD's defense are like big strong safeties in the old NFL world.   Cover, blitz on occasion , fill your gap on run plays and then go cover some more.   Gang tackle, make them go the length of the field.  Not many 3 and outs.   Keeping a fresh aggressive front 4 is key to this defense.   Allows nearly 7 in coverage, good idea in todays NFL.  Derrick Henry might make some good yardage against this D, but he is the exception to the rule in todays NFL.   Old school Butkus fans won't like it, but it works.  

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

It's pretty awesome to see things starting to click mentally for Tremaine this year. Perfect example was when the Chiefs tried to get that play on the outside off of their LT. Edmunds read it perfectly, took a couple of steps to his right, saw the correct angle, and kicked in that closing burst to make the TFL. He's been seeing things on the field a lot better this year, diagnosing and going in for the tackle. This week against Tennessee will be a true test for him. Last year, though playing with an injured shoulder, I remember him being out of position a lot in that game. Hopefully his great play continues against a more run heavy offense. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

The refs didn't screw up the down and distance on the hold. Holding is measured by where the foul happened and the hold occurred 15 yards down field by their WR..I think Robinson(number 11) if I am not mistaken.

Therefore 15-10 = 5

Doesn't happen that often but I have seen it a bunch of times over the years in these situations, almost always when a WR is holding down field.

Also regarding Henry...the Bills have done a very nice job against him the last 2 games...he has rushed 39 times for only 135 yards in those 2 games, an average of under 3.5 YPC

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On a related note, one of the most interesting plays of the night for me was the one where you saw Star literally try to hold his double-team to prevent the C (I believe) from getting to Edmunds, then Star made the tackle.  While you always hear about his unsung role, this was a vivid display of it, and getting on the stat sheet.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Run stuffing MLB’s are now dinosaurs. They went the way of drafting RB’s in the first round. 

Yeah, Milano is more that kinda guy in this defense anyway as the SLB they ask him to play closer to the line. Edmunds gets more of the intermediate zone or outside zone assignments. On the rare occasion they do ask him to run blitz or man the RB, he does just fine. When they recognize run he'sgap sound. I think he'll always struggle with leverage against stout OLs because of his height. But he's learned to manage those blocks better while keeping his eyes on the RB.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

The refs didn't screw up the down and distance on the hold. Holding is measured by where the foul happened and the hold occurred 15 yards down field by their WR..I think Robinson(number 11) if I am not mistaken.

Therefore 15-10 = 5

Doesn't happen that often but I have seen it a bunch of times over the years in these situations, almost always when a WR is holding down field.

Also regarding Henry...the Bills have done a very nice job against him the last 2 games...he has rushed 39 times for only 135 yards in those 2 games, an average of under 3.5 YPC

We're going to quibble over where the hold occurred.  They both went to the ground at 15 yards upfield, but the hold happened before that.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

We're going to quibble over where the hold occurred.  They both went to the ground at 15 yards upfield, but the hold happened before that.

Either way it was downfield, meaning it wouldn't have been a 1st and 20

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

Is Tremaine Edmunds actually getting good? In the same season that Star Lotulelei decided to get good!? This is some kind of season.

Nope. He's not getting good. He's getting even better. Same with Lotulelei.

And yeah, that's a wonderful thing.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.