Trade deadline buzz

YoloinOhio

54 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

What good are draft picks going be.  The Bills are trying to win super Bowl this year!

Sustained success with a highly paid QB means acquiring as much draft capital as possible and hitting on those picks.  That being said it's hard to find a player on this current roster that we can afford to lose and get decent return for.  If some desperate GM wants to give us a 5th for Vernon Butler that would be fine.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

This defense is an elite pass rusher away from being incredible.

I think Zimmer easily fills in Oliver's shoes.  

I think Zimmer is better than Oliver.  He never stops working. The dude is all over the place when he's in there. 

Zimmer is my unsung hero for the tackle strip on Cam Newton to prevent them from beating us last year. 

I'll never forget that play. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 3

2 hours ago, Doc said:

I'd only trade a DE for a good CB.  Obada's been inactive every game and could be put into active duty.

Obada played 26% of the snaps against Pitts and 40% against KC.  So far no action, but if McDermott and Frazier are kept him out there that much vs KC he musta been doing something they liked.

He's been listed as "questionable" on several of the previous weeks' injury reports - vs. Miami and vs. the Texans for sure, not sure about WFT

I don’t foresee the Bills getting rid of a DE but I can see them trading Harrison Phillips tbh. I suspect we’d get a 5th to 7th rounder so not sure if that’s worth it to them. I could see a very outside chance of Cody Ford as well but those are really the only two I could see going out. 

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

Panthers connection jokes aside…

Cody Ford to Carolina could make sense

I was thinking Cody Ford for Joe Haden. Pittsburgh not gonna pay him and need Oline help 

9 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I'd be interested in another CB .  Phillips and Any other player that is not active consistently can go.  And Ford too

I would trade Vernon Butler if you can get something for him. He is a UDFA after this season and has been one of 2 DT inactive for the last few weeks. When he played he was marginal but has a name as a former 1st round pick. Other than that .. I would be hesitant to make changes.

8 hours ago, NewEra said:

Obada played a few snaps vs Pitts and a whole bunch vs KC.

I agree, I would only trade one, preferably Obada if it’s a DE, for a good corner or a good guard 

You would not get that. He was not a starter before and is not one now, unless it is on a team that is in the lower half of the league.  I would go for a high 4th round pick,  something like #10.

If we pick at #30 (probably #32 now !) that would enable us to package our 3rd or 4th round pick and move up significantly

Round 3-30   =====> Round 3-13   (+ 17 slots )   overall #97 ===> #77   or

Round 4-30 =====> Round 3-29    (+31 slots)     overall #126 ===>#93

Getting extra picks in the top 100 is good as that is where there is a fall off in the quality of the rookies.

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Obada played 26% of the snaps against Pitts and 40% against KC.  So far no action, but if McDermott and Frazier are kept him out there that much vs KC he musta been doing something they liked.

He's been listed as "questionable" on several of the previous weeks' injury reports - vs. Miami and vs. the Texans for sure, not sure about WFT

It might be that they are also showcasing him for a trade?

Edited by maryland-bills-fan

3 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

I would trade Vernon Butler if you can get something for him. He is a UDFA after this season and has been one of 2 DT inactive for the last few weeks. When he played he was marginal but has a name as a former 1st round pick. Other than that .. I would be hesitant to make changes.

We need some beefy players in reserve. Bellycheck does't have a competitve NFL team this year, so he has decided to see if he can win some games for now by running the ball down people's throats.  Butler is the backup for Star and we might see him against NE.

McBeane aren't about to mess with the team unity that's developed, and he sure isn't going to wreck his long-term cap strategy.  The first is more critical this year of course but the second is critical for 2023 and 2024.  McBeane don't want any part of the Bills juggernaut to get weaker and not have the cash to address the problem.  Look at KC -- keeping the pedal to the metal on offense and having a trash defense.  You can't win that way. 

It's one thing -- a hard thing -- to build a team that can win in one particular year.  It's another thing -- even harder -- to manage the roster and the coaches so the success endures.  The Bills are on track to accomplish both, better than any other team as far as I can tell.

Any move that replaces a cheap player, like someone on their rookie contract, with an expensive player, is probably out.  Bringing in an elite player is probably a non-starter, period, just because of the cost.

Can you really have a surplus of good edge rushers? I wouldn't trade any of our DEs right now

9 hours ago, Rico said:

I'd package Ford and Phillips for a CB.

you wouldn't get a good CB for these 2. 2 guys who don't play

Edited by nucci

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.