When did sports journalism get so bad

ProcessAccepted

2 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Oh yes they will. If we make it to the Super Bowl, and especially if we win a Super Bowl. Ask yourself: did KC get a lot of media attention, a lot of prime time games when they were a really good team, losing playoff games with Alex Smith? 

Yes.  You're right.  That's what I meant when I said the media will only cover the Bills when the Bills make them. 

5 hours ago, ProcessAccepted said:

I'm not from this country but I've lived in the US for 27 years. I clearly remember when the amount of coverage a team\player got was based on how well they played. Sadly not the case any more. I know this happened slowly but I'm having a hard time remembering when things changed to the extent that they are today. Watching Kyle Brandt just now on One Bills Live was music to my ears. Why isn't there more content like what he's suggesting. The Bills win big in KC and yet all they talk about is KC and Mahomes. Why can't Josh, Beane etc get some love.

You're kidding yourself. 

It was always like this. People don't want to hear about the best team. They want to hear the best story. The two are often the same but not always. The fall of the king is generally a better story than somebody new being good. 

Your memory is wrong if you think there wasn't more about the Cowboys around back in the '70s and '80s because they were America's team. Whether they sucked that year or not.

In any case, there's a ton about the Bills all over the news right now.

Edited by Thurman#1

5 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

The term "journalism" is long dead.

It is now advancing an agenda and yes even in sports.  So i made a mistake and heard about how Lamar Jackson "heroically" won the gams on MNF.  Not a peep about the goofy be speckled kicker that missed a PAT and field goals but the hero Lamar, now the MVP front runner won it.

I can tell most of the times the "take" some blabbering East Coast/West coast egotist is going to take. 

Now with 24/7 media and widespread free social media, the "truth" or reality is whatever you want to hear.

There is still plenty of solid journalism out there. (True, long form sports journalism in particular doesn't seem to have a huge target audience these days, when I think of the attention span of the average fan.) 

Unfortunately, it is now awash in a warm sea of shite.

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Y'know, it just might be a point that folks these days want Champagne journalism on a Free Beer journalism budget

Print newspaper subscriptions have gone way down, but folks want equal or better journalism to what their subscriptions and advertisments used to support, without paying a dime.

And if someone who enjoys it says "y'know, I get some quality journalism at TBN and at the Athletic, and it's drinkable at Korbel Brut type prices for a 6 month trial", then they get dismissed as "influencers"

I could be wrong, I am an old fogey, but I THINK "influencers" are social media types who get free product and then get paid to display it or talk about it on their social media accounts.  Rachel Bush is an "influencer" or used to be.  Brittney Williams is an "influencer".

I neither get free product, nor pay.  I'm just not complaining about how sucky sports journalism is with my subscriptions.

Well, except Gamepass.  If that counts as "sports journalism" (uncertain) I'm sure AF complaining about it!

You just had to do it.

You just couldn't help yourself.

Seriously, how much are they paying you?

6 hours ago, ProcessAccepted said:

I'm not from this country but I've lived in the US for 27 years. I clearly remember when the amount of coverage a team\player got was based on how well they played. Sadly not the case any more. I know this happened slowly but I'm having a hard time remembering when things changed to the extent that they are today. Watching Kyle Brandt just now on One Bills Live was music to my ears. Why isn't there more content like what he's suggesting. The Bills win big in KC and yet all they talk about is KC and Mahomes. Why can't Josh, Beane etc get some love.

Brandt is predicting 21 - 20 with a late crucial bass fg.  So he's thinking 3 tds 3 missed xps the in waning seconds bass redeems his 3 missed xps with gw fg to win by a point. Cause that's only scenario that fits his score prediction. I'd rather just see offense just go crazy on titans while the defense keeps doing its turnover thing.

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

How many mushrooms do you consume daily? 

Go eat a snack and purge yourself of these delusions that anyone who recommends something they enjoy must be paid.

How much do you think they'd pay me to be a mushroom influencer?

the part i hate the most is no one proof reads anything anymore.   it used to be that finding an error...rather  misspelled word 

or a wrong name was very rare...

last night i read the yahoo article quoting Allen throwing 3 interceptions rather than touchdowns..

Then tonight I find out Nick Fierro from Bills Central on Fan Nation thinks Trevon Diggs plays wr for us.   

Its disappointing to say the least.    I did read a ton of coverage about the Bills though and all mentioned we kicked KC's ass.

Not to mention most have the Bills as the team to beat and rated #1.   Cant complain about that.  

It was never that great in the first place. Big markets and stars were always favored not to mention East Coast bias. On top of that sports journalism always included a lot of sensationalism.

Is it worse now? I would say clickbait has become an issue but there are also more outlets online where you can find better opinions and more detailed analysis.

13 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Kc is more popular so they want to keep that narrative going. Like Dallas is America's team

Exactly. Which is why for example Cowherd always had a Cowboys/Lebron James story chambered for rainy days. My theory has always been that national shows choose stories by market first, then by how compelling the story is.  

• Like (+1) 1

Too much content.  If there’s a market for it, it will be made regardless of how bad the content is.  People have more free time and are always on their devices.  Also harder to read longer articles on a smartphone.  So now it’s all clips, blurbs and hot takes, and we’re all dumber for it.  

Edited by BuffaloRebound

The idea that there is supposed to be some sort of integrity or honor in Sports Reporting is pretty laughable.

ALL sports reporting is simply another branch of marketing for leagues, and "news" on a form of entertainment. Always has been, always will be.

We're talking about Sports. Not the Government. Not Foreign Wars. Not Labor issues. Not the environment... "Sports".

This is like asking what happened to "Music Journalism"? Or "Film Journalism". Who cares. Keep your expectations low.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.