When did sports journalism get so bad

ProcessAccepted

27 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

I get that and agree that should be discussed. What I'm saying is that the Bills were beaten down last year by the Chiefs and went on a mission to get better in the areas they needed to. That came to fruition on SNF. The way the Bills have progressed since Rex drove off in his off season winning pickup is equally as big a story as the Chiefs demise. I'm struggling to find any content from a network where they don't revert straight back to what's wrong with the Chiefs. It was awesome to hear Kyle Brandt say exactly that.

You realise talking heads on networks are not journalists, right? 

Peter King talked about the way the Bills attacked the offseason with Kansas City in his column. He also talked about the continued development of Josh Allen. He is a journalist. There are multiple pieces on the Athletic talking about it. 

What you are doing is putting on entertainment shows and then looking for journalism. You may as well watch Baywatch. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

OP bemoans the lack (loss?) of "sports journalism"....and to point us toward where that profession should be, he cites a former soap opera actor (and executive producer of the shlockiest show on the airwaves--Jim Rome) turned football "TV Personality" ranting about what's wrong with the all the OTHER football talking heads  

Priceless...

If irony existed anymore, this would count.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

I agree here, but it hasn't totally been their decision alone. They're catering to their audience. The audience drives their decisions.

In this case, KC/Mahomes is obviously what the majority of the audience wants to hear about. I assume the KC market is what brings in more of the money.

The same reason we hear so much about the Cowboys, the Dolphins, the NJ teams, etc in the offseason, no matter how good they are.

This is exactly right.  More people want to hear about certain other teams than want to hear about the Bills, so they talk about the 

Bills as little as possible.  The Bills get only as much prime time coverage as the Bills, by virtue of winning, force the media to give.  The Cowboys get the coverage year after year, because for whatever reason, a lot people want to hear about the Cowboys.  

The Brady coverage is ridiculous.   Over and over, blah, blah, blah. 

I've said this before.  I heard Colin Cowherd say on one of his shows that people should stop sending him emails saying stop talking about Tim Tebow.  He said when fans start changing stations when the Tebow talk starts, they'll stop talking about him.  But as long as people keep listening for Tebow news, they'll keep talking about him.

Bills will not get coverage.  

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

2 words

Social Media 

2 more words

Controversy sells

Yep. But it’s not social media, per se. It’s the problem with giving something for free while still wanting to creat billionaire tech entrepreneurs. The only option is to depend on advertising revenue. Then, we become the product and the advertisers are the customer. 

The result is that “journalists” have to create clickbait to be in business.

I don’t have a subscription, but the $1/month user fee for The Athletic is working toward a solution—a small user-fee reduces the reliance on advertising and makes people at least a bit more of a customer.

The biggest “problem” as I see it is that often you don’t know who is legitimately presenting an opinion and analysis, and who is simply trying to stoke the fire of controversy to get “clicks.”  If you pay attention long enough you figure it out, which is why I actually like GMFB.  They are having fun and while yes, they are also focused on their social media, I don’t get the impression they are just trying to make people mad for a reaction.  I despise guys like Stephen A. Smith but in a way I have to admire him.  He has embraced a role that is completely void of true insight and reason to become the highest paid sports broadcaster around.  It’s nuts.

The good ones are there if you look hard enough.

2 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

This is where all the Athletic influencers come in to tell us how great it is for only $1 a month.

Y'know, it just might be a point that folks these days want Champagne journalism on a Free Beer journalism budget

Print newspaper subscriptions have gone way down, but folks want equal or better journalism to what their subscriptions and advertisments used to support, without paying a dime.

And if someone who enjoys it says "y'know, I get some quality journalism at TBN and at the Athletic, and it's drinkable at Korbel Brut type prices for a 6 month trial", then they get dismissed as "influencers"

I could be wrong, I am an old fogey, but I THINK "influencers" are social media types who get free product and then get paid to display it or talk about it on their social media accounts.  Rachel Bush is an "influencer" or used to be.  Brittney Williams is an "influencer".

I neither get free product, nor pay.  I'm just not complaining about how sucky sports journalism is with my subscriptions.

Well, except Gamepass.  If that counts as "sports journalism" (uncertain) I'm sure AF complaining about it!

22 minutes ago, Rico said:

When Sully left the News. :(

That's....sarcasm?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, ProcessAccepted said:

I'm not from this country but I've lived in the US for 27 years. I clearly remember when the amount of coverage a team\player got was based on how well they played. Sadly not the case any more. I know this happened slowly but I'm having a hard time remembering when things changed to the extent that they are today. Watching Kyle Brandt just now on One Bills Live was music to my ears. Why isn't there more content like what he's suggesting. The Bills win big in KC and yet all they talk about is KC and Mahomes. Why can't Josh, Beane etc get some love.

Does Kyle Brandt tell us what toppings he likes on his ice cream?

I feel like he’s a nestle crunch guy with hot fudge angrily running down the side.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

You realise talking heads on networks are not journalists, right? 

Peter King talked about the way the Bills attacked the offseason with Kansas City in his column. He also talked about the continued development of Josh Allen. He is a journalist. There are multiple pieces on the Athletic talking about it. 

What you are doing is putting on entertainment shows and then looking for journalism. You may as well watch Baywatch. 

Couldn't agree more and not just sports or even media in general.  In every aspect of the human condition the entertainment/advertising

mode outshines everything else.  It takes work and a conscious effort to even keep it controlled in my (our) own lives. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.