When did sports journalism get so bad

ProcessAccepted

I'm not from this country but I've lived in the US for 27 years. I clearly remember when the amount of coverage a team\player got was based on how well they played. Sadly not the case any more. I know this happened slowly but I'm having a hard time remembering when things changed to the extent that they are today. Watching Kyle Brandt just now on One Bills Live was music to my ears. Why isn't there more content like what he's suggesting. The Bills win big in KC and yet all they talk about is KC and Mahomes. Why can't Josh, Beane etc get some love.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 4

This went hand in hand with Newspapers/News agencies deciding that they were entertainment venues, and no longer News outlets…., 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Building people up doesn't get as many clicks as tearing people down.  

Josh Allen Bills Hype will get marketed heavier and heavier, but that's already been done for Mahomes and the Chiefs.... now comes the tearing down.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

The term "journalism" is long dead.

It is now advancing an agenda and yes even in sports.  So i made a mistake and heard about how Lamar Jackson "heroically" won the gams on MNF.  Not a peep about the goofy be speckled kicker that missed a PAT and field goals but the hero Lamar, now the MVP front runner won it.

I can tell most of the times the "take" some blabbering East Coast/West coast egotist is going to take. 

Now with 24/7 media and widespread free social media, the "truth" or reality is whatever you want to hear.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5

1 minute ago, Don Otreply said:

This went hand in hand with Newspapers/News agencies deciding that they were entertainment venues, and no longer News outlets…., 

I agree here, but it hasn't totally been their decision alone. They're catering to their audience. The audience drives their decisions.

In this case, KC/Mahomes is obviously what the majority of the audience wants to hear about. I assume the KC market is what brings in more of the money.

The same reason we hear so much about the Cowboys, the Dolphins, the NJ teams, etc in the offseason, no matter how good they are.

1 minute ago, LeGOATski said:

I agree here, but it hasn't totally been their decision alone. They're catering to their audience. The audience drives their decisions.

In this case, KC/Mahomes is obviously what the majority of the audience wants to hear about. I assume the KC market is what brings in more of the money.

The same reason we hear so much about the Cowboys, the Dolphins, the NJ teams, etc in the offseason, no matter how good they are.

Hype has always existed, but now it’s so over the top, it’s hard to take these outfits seriously. 

when we went from 3 channels to 300..social media and all other crap. Sports news used to be the Courier Express in the morning. Buffalo Evening News at night and Rick Azar and Van Miller around 620pm.

The Bills and Allen have been getting tons of praise from all media outlets. Most if not all have them ranked No.1 in the league and being called the best right now. Of course they're going to talk about KC. We crushed them and made them look really bad

Edited by nucci
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I dunno, it might not be as wide spread but Ive seen some uploads on YouTube of like ESPN clips and things like that.  Those uploads have guys on Networks mostly saying the Bills are the team to beat right now.  Shannon Sharp said the Bills are the best team in the league at this point. Stephon A or whatever his name is that use to talk trash is calling Allen and the Bills dogs (in a good way.) A lot of people are saying this.

The Bills win a Super Bowl and all the talk will be about them next season. 

1 minute ago, Don Otreply said:

Hype has always existed, but now it’s so over the top, it’s hard to take these outfits seriously. 

Yep.

And I know this may be kind of off-topic, but this is exactly what McDermott refers to when he tells his players to block out the noise. 

The noise is louder than it's ever been. Like you said, the overreactions get worse week to week. We, as the audience, can do ourselves a favor by being just as steady as the players. With sports or anything else in the news.

Or you can be a Beasley and lose yourself in it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, nucci said:

when we went from 3 channels to 300..social media and all other crap. Sports news used to be the Courier Express in the morning. Buffalo Evening News at night and Rick Azar and Van Miller around 620pm.

Sports  reporting , IMHO,(because im old) has turned into a bunch of idiots babbling on about how they feel about society in general , with sports as a backdrop 

• Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.