Josh Allen's sack rate this season - 2.7 percent

dave mcbride

That's the lowest in Bills history (granted it's early). Flutie had a sack rate of 3.3 percent in 1998 (laughably, RJ's sack rate in six games that season was 21.3 percent) and Fergie had a couple of low rates (2.9 percent) in 1980 and 1981 although I don't trust those numbers because sacks weren't an official stat then. I'm a big believer in the idea that QBs are the ones most responsible for their own sack rates, albeit line play does of course matter. Low sack rates are huge for offensive production because sacks are drive killers. It's a great sign for both Allen and the Bills offense. He hasn't been taking the bad sacks this year like in the past.

• Like (+1) 5

His first read seems to be the pass rush on the majority of the plays.  See who’s going to get to him first and move out of the way- 

our OL has been solid since week 1- but it’s 17s pocket presence that has kept him off the turf the last few weeks

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

15 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

What's interesting about this is that I don't think we have a dominant offensive line. 

I think Josh has tremendous pocket presence and athleticism, and tends to make good decisions (step up/sideways, throw the ball away, run).

I agree with you mostly, the only nuance is that Josh is not a 2 second release QB. Some QB’s stay out of sack trouble because the ball is out of their hand very quickly on nearly every passing play.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

That's the lowest in Bills history (granted it's early). Flutie had a sack rate of 3.3 percent in 1998 (laughably, RJ's sack rate in six games that season was 21.3 percent) and Fergie had a couple of low rates (2.9 percent) in 1980 and 1981 although I don't trust those numbers because sacks weren't an official stat then. I'm a big believer in the idea that QBs are the ones most responsible for their own sack rates, albeit line play does of course matter. Low sack rates are huge for offensive production because sacks are drive killers. It's a great sign for both Allen and the Bills offense. He hasn't been taking the bad sacks this year like in the past.

It has been stated in other defensive threads and discussions - QB pressures and pressure rate are a DL/OL monitor - meaning that is dependent more upon how the 2 lines play and is usually consistent.

Sacks and Sack rate are a QB monitor much as you say in your post and are much less dependent on the OL or DL.

Josh has been seeing a lot of pressure in some games, but his athleticism and pocket awareness allows him to help keep sacks low.  The OL has also done some nice work at times (as pointed out by Baldy) with a nice wide and deep pocket - giving Josh options.

I would expect his sack rate to stay low because he is a hard man to bring down and even when teams have him - he is good at getting rid of the ball a lot.  It is a nice weapon to have.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

This must be fake news as Chris Collinsworth on the broadcast indicated taking bad sacks was a bad issue that Josh has to get past.  I am soooo confused :).

The TD to Dawson Knox is a great example where he keeps things alive and makes a great play.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

What's interesting about this is that I don't think we have a dominant offensive line. 

I think Josh has tremendous pocket presence and athleticism, and tends to make good decisions (step up/sideways, throw the ball away, run).

I think we have a pretty decent one now and it only going to get better; much better....

I think part of it is that DCs are not really trying to sack him. Like Mahomes or Jackson you just have to keep him contained. If you rush straight at him upfield you end up like Washington in week 3 with a great pass rush win percentage but terrible defensive production.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Fascinating… it’s interesting how some great QB’s are able to mask a average to below average offensive line.  Despite the low percentage, I don’t think any of the lineman have a high individual rating for pass blocking so far.  

Johnson was brutal with holding onto the ball.  It’s was gave him several concussion and likely shortened his career.  I remember that Bledsoe was a statue in the pocket and was responsible for many sacks

• Like (+1) 1

There's an article in The Athletic on stats for week 5, and there is a list of OL who had 0 pressures--Morse and Williams made it for the Bills.  Starting to wonder if the Brown move will pay extra dividends with Williams at RG? 

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Kind of shocked at that. The O-line has been great the past two weeks but wasn't that great the first three weeks. Guess Josh is just able to navigate pressure so well. 

Last 2 weeks Spencer Brown has been in the lineup and I don’t think it’s a coincidence. We’ve also played some kinda meh defensive lines as well. 

Where was Bledsoe in 2003, around 30%?

• Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Rico said:

Where was Bledsoe in 2003, around 30%?

9.4, which is bad, but it still was much better than RJ in 2001 (12.6) and 2000 (13.8). Johnson not only has the highest sack rate in league history (14.8 percent), no one else is even close. Historically bad player despite real talent and some decent passer ratings on occasion. Even in the two games he played for SB winner Tampa in 2002, he was still getting sacked at a 16.7 percent rate. That’s one out of every six dropbacks.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

It's because Josh has what they call "Spidey Sense". 

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.