Kumerow playing time

Toledo Bill

14 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Cole had more snaps than Kumerow and Gabe Davis combined (22 for Cole; 14 for Gabe; 7 for Kumerow). Isaiah had 8 snaps. There was only 54 non-kneel-down snaps so Cole was in for over 40% of them.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2021/10/12/22720757/snap-count-notes-buffalo-bills-vs-kansas-city

Um,  in the manner of calculating offensive snaps, he was in on 39%

Either way, the point is, 63-64% would be more typical for Cole the last 2 years and overall this season.

1 hour ago, Logic said:

I kind of hate that when Kumerow comes on the field, it means run play 99% of the time.

I've seen it again and again this year: Diggs and Sanders come off the field, Kumerow and Davis enter the game. Bills run the ball.

If I, a dumb commoner in the stands, know that it's a run play, the opposing defense DAMNED SURE knows its a run play. Now sure, maybe they're intentionally putting it on film a bunch to set up play-action off of it down the line, but....still. If you're an opposing DC and you see Diggs come off the field and Kumerow come into the game, sell the farm to stop the run.

It’s a long season and these games don’t matter that much to this team.  

The WRs we bring on in our “run formations” are solid pass catchers.  While we may be running 99% of the time when they’re in, our opposition may also be expecting run.  Then, in a meaningful game or play, we throw it for 7……just like we did vs KC to clinch the game

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Um,  in the manner of calculating offensive snaps, he was in on 39%

Either way, the point is, 63-64% would be more typical for Cole the last 2 years and overall this season.

Actually .. if you ignore the final 3 kneel-down snaps as I indicated (Cole is never in on those and those snaps are irrelevant for this discussion) it is actually 40.7%. Not certain why 39 or 40.7 matter to you as they are in the same ballpark .. but the math as I laid out it 40.7%.

Further Jake has been in on 40 snaps over the first 5 games for an average of 8 per game, so technically he got less than his normal .. so maybe that just indicates they were doing some different things as McDermott stated. Isaiah and Gabe Davis were also under their average for the year.

In the last two games we have thrown far less. In fact Josh has thrown a total of 56 passes in the last 2 games combined only 5 more than the 51 times Josh threw in week 1 when Cole had 91% of the snaps.

Maybe Cole is in the McDermott Dog house , or maybe we are just trying to find ways to paint it that way when in fact it is just game plan specific.  We shall see.

Source for the full year numbers: https://www.footballguys.com/subscribers/teams/teampage-buf-6.php

3 hours ago, Muppy said:

pray do tell.................tendency breaker huh......Fill me in thanks. You think that's an actual part of Bills braintrust strategy?

Yes like ANY competent coach. They self scout and develop tendency breakers. Are you new to watching this sport?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

7 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

Gotta be 6 right?

diggs - sanders - beasley - davis - mckenzie - kumerow.

unless one of them has been inactive this year and missed it, I think all 6 usually dress. 

all 6 have been active on game days.    The inactives have primarily come from. OL, DL, LB, CB and RB

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

FWIW McDermott had this to say about Beasley's snap count, as quoted by Jay Skurski in TBN:

So according to McD, Nothing to See Here, Move Along

Good title for a song!

Actually, this McDermott stanza of ‘we really believe in X’ is turning out to be the Kiss of Death. He’s sung the same song on Phillips, Ford, Daryl Johnson & Lee Smith. 

5 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Good title for a song!

Actually, this McDermott stanza of ‘we really believe in X’ is turning out to be the Kiss of Death. He’s sung the same song on Phillips, Ford, Daryl Johnson & Lee Smith. 

I mean I don't know if this is the same those, but he never throws anyone under the bus.

I've noticed this year with the offense, the biggest difference between last year, is it seems to be all about personnel.

For example, the Allen TD run is all about personnel. It's 11 personnel, so a 3WR, 1TE and 1RB formation. It's all about who those 3 WRs are and who the running back is because it's option run. This works because the 3 WRs are Diggs, Sanders and McKenzie. All speed options with McKenzie as the jet sweep option in there as a threat and then Moss adds the threat of a power dive run. This formation and play doesn't work with 26 and 11, imo.

I suspect one of the reasons for keeping Kumerow on the roster (aside from being really well-liked by teammates), is they can set up with 21 personnel; Gilliam and Moss/Singletary in the backfield, Knox on the line, and use Kumerow's size as either a receiving threat and/or extra blocker if a run to one of the backs called.

That gives Josh a lot of options when he comes up to the line and sees how their D is set up.

Part of the Patriots success through the years has been great blocking from their wideouts.  McKenzie and Beasley's size limits their effectiveness against bigger and stronger defenders.

When you see the Bills in 21 personnel with Kumerow, watch Josh scan the D-line, and if he sees a formation that he believes can be exploited,  listen for the "alert - alert" audible signal.  

Options. Match-ups. That's how you keep the ball moving.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Logic said:

I kind of hate that when Kumerow comes on the field, it means run play 99% of the time.

I've seen it again and again this year: Diggs and Sanders come off the field, Kumerow and Davis enter the game. Bills run the ball.

If I, a dumb commoner in the stands, know that it's a run play, the opposing defense DAMNED SURE knows its a run play. Now sure, maybe they're intentionally putting it on film a bunch to set up play-action off of it down the line, but....still. If you're an opposing DC and you see Diggs come off the field and Kumerow come into the game, sell the farm to stop the run.

We had a decently big play because the chefs did that and we passed. 

6 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Good title for a song!

BIF he didn't say "we really believe in X", he praised Beasley's unselfish nature and team spirit.  He's done that for a lot of guys.  I think it usually means "You Aren't Making Stats, but I See That Good Play!".

In Beasley's case, I think it means "thank you for not having a public meltdown hissyfit"

I can't remember him "really believe in" any of thoe guys you list, TBH.  I remember him saying Lee Smith needed to "get locked in" in 2019 when he was pulling a lot of false start and holding penalties.  And he did - very few in 2020.   And then we moved on. 

20 hours ago, Logic said:

Thats the point.  One time a defender is lazy and doesnt honor him its a Td.  He will sneak behind a defender play action touchdown.

5 hours ago, SoMAn said:

Part of the Patriots success through the years has been great blocking from their wideouts.

Agree.

I know I'll get flamed for this but...Edelman was a tenacious blocker, and not just down field. Great value-added to his route acumen.**

**Please note: the current poster does not actually like JE, but is merely bringing him up to emphasize a point.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.