Kumerow playing time

Toledo Bill

1 minute ago, Toledo Bill said:

I noticed Kumerow was in on several offensive plays. I wonder if he was taking playing time from Beasley.

Anybody have any insught?

Pretty sure they were showing him coming in as a blocking WR on running plays. They used the same formation to fool KC into thinking we would run and it reaulted in the 2nd Sanders TD catch from what I have read. Situational design.

• Like (+1) 5

Not sure there's any correlation between the two.

I believe Kumerow's snaps are up a bit this year at WR after his really strong offseason and he's a core special teamer as always.

Beasley's reduced snaps have been game plan-specific in my view (and I believe McDermott and the team have confirmed this). He had a career high 11 catches only three games ago and I'm sure we'll see some big games out of him again soon. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I look at him as the 3rd Te.  He lines up wide or motioned in to block.  He will get a deep shot very soon.  Basiclly, he will get the Lee Smith treatment on a run fake and it will be 6 points. He plays teams and on an outside run give me Kumurow blocking over any of our top guys

• Like (+1) 2

I kind of hate that when Kumerow comes on the field, it means run play 99% of the time.

I've seen it again and again this year: Diggs and Sanders come off the field, Kumerow and Davis enter the game. Bills run the ball.

If I, a dumb commoner in the stands, know that it's a run play, the opposing defense DAMNED SURE knows its a run play. Now sure, maybe they're intentionally putting it on film a bunch to set up play-action off of it down the line, but....still. If you're an opposing DC and you see Diggs come off the field and Kumerow come into the game, sell the farm to stop the run.

• Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

32 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Gilliam probably played a season high in snaps as well on offense. They had a plan. 

this.
went in the game with 22 personnel in mind.

That left Cole on the sidelines more than not.

all about week to week matchups

Maybe a bit like Diggs not getting much statistically pre Chiefs game.

Gotsta have humble to be a Bills player these days

• Agree 2

31 minutes ago, Logic said:

I kind of hate that when Kumerow comes on the field, it means run play 99% of the time.

I've seen it again and again this year: Diggs and Sanders come off the field, Kumerow and Davis enter the game. Bills run the ball.

If I, a dumb commoner in the stands, know that it's a run play, the opposing defense DAMNED SURE knows its a run play. Now sure, maybe they're intentionally putting it on film a bunch to set up play-action off of it down the line, but....still. If you're an opposing DC and you see Diggs come off the field and Kumerow come into the game, sell the farm to stop the run.

Wait until they use the Tendency Breaker when needed. They obviously are setting it up. 

• Like (+1) 2

It’s just a game specific matchup thing.  Nothing to do with Beasley.  Just like a couple of weeks ago Beasely’s number was called and had 11 targets.  Just think of the opposing defenses strengths and what pegs do we put into counter.

This is going to happen all year.  Enjoy it.  It means we are freakin deep in WR, D Line, amd Secondary vs. LB.  There will be inevitably different formations every week to beat each team.  We’re just not used to having this deep of a team.  He’ll, we were lucky in the drought to find 22 starters.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Wait until they use the Tendency Breaker when needed. They obviously are setting it up. 

Yeah, I figure as much, which I alluded to in the post. 

Still...Sometimes I wonder about the realistic value of running out of this predictable formation multiple times over multiple games just to set up one big "tendency breaker" play. 

I mean, I guess if they use it in a big spot on a big game, then great, but....I don't know. At some point I wonder at what point it becomes diminishing returns.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Toledo Bill said:

I noticed Kumerow was in on several offensive plays. I wonder if he was taking playing time from Beasley.

Anybody have any insught?

Several ways to check playing time:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2021.htm

Click on the relevant game "boxscore"

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/202110100kan.htm

Scroll down

About halfway down you'll see a list of Snap Counts for both teams

Find your guy

Or just go to the site

https://www.pro-football-reference.com

Type your guy's name into the search button on the upper Rt side

Snap counts for this season are in the game listings at the top

Kumerow had 7 snaps, or 12% of the snaps

He had more snaps in the Hou and Was games, albeit possibly for different reasons (like being comfortably ahead and sitting the starters late)

I think Kumerow and Sweeney both saw snaps in the Chiefs game to help with run blocking.   I don't think Kumerow blocks in-line, but he's pretty good downfield and from the backfield.

• Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Logic said:

Amazing that opposing defenses still can’t stop it.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Logic said:

Yeah, I figure as much, which I alluded to in the post. 

Still...Sometimes I wonder about the realistic value of running out of this predictable formation multiple times over multiple games just to set up one big "tendency breaker" play. 

I mean, I guess if they use it in a big spot on a big game, then great, but....I don't know. At some point I wonder at what point it becomes diminishing returns.

true but my question did ANY Bills fan let alone Spags think Bills would open the game in the I?

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.