Given the fluster over PB&J during the weather delay, what’s the proper amount of jelly?

BuffaloBill

Jelly fans speak up  

142 members have voted

1. 1. How much jelly should be on a properly made PB&J?

2. 2. As a second question - Peanut butter or Almond Butter for you?

First you have to pick the right bread.  I’ll take white over wheat, but my favorite as a kid was having it on Kaufman’s rye bread.

Now as to PB/jelly ratio, I’ll do grape jelly but you really want jam, with any of the berries working for me.  With jam it should be about 40%.  If you are stuck with grape jelly go to 30%.  And if you try to sneak marmalade on there you’re thrown out of the kitchen.  One switch up that works as well is to put a layer of good honey on there  instead of jelly or jam.

The peanut butter.  I have always been a smooth PB guy, but a little crunchy is OK.  The extra crunchy never; if I want that I’ll open a can of Planter’s.  Put the PB on both sides of the bread.  Brand of PB doesn’t matter to me much.  

No other additions.  Bananas, I’m not Elvis.  

I mean it's gotta be enough to balance out the PB but not enough so that it drips out of the sandwich to create a potentially sticky mess...

But that all depends again on how much PB is going on...are we talking about a giant slab of PB on the sandwich or just enough to coat the bread?

Edited by Big Turk

1 hour ago, teef said:

it's as awful as it sounds.  i think it's 45 calories a slice, low carb, etc.   it's the equivalent of eating cardboard.  

That's the stuff my wife eats. I don't eat sandwiches too often since I retired. I got tired of eating sandwiches for lunch every day for 43 years. I have a loaf of white bread in the freezer in case of emergency. 

5 hours ago, Patience said:

This, right here.  Also, almond butter?  GTFO.  It's not an AB&J.  

My son has a severe Peanut allergy.  He eats AB&J almost daily and would beg to differ.  I, however, would never eat one.  :)  PB&J.

More importantly and not a question.  Blackberry jam.  and while the sandwich is called a Peanut Butter and Jelly - I can't stand Jelly.

1 hour ago, MTBill said:

My son has a severe Peanut allergy.  He eats AB&J almost daily and would beg to differ.  I, however, would never eat one.  :)  PB&J.

More importantly and not a question.  Blackberry jam.  and while the sandwich is called a Peanut Butter and Jelly - I can't stand Jelly.

Have to agree with you on your last point - preserves all the way.  Need a little texture to balance out the smoothness of creamy peanut butter.  

Also, don't sleep on cashew butter.  It's no replacement for PB on a PB&J, but it's good in a pinch.  

Edited by Patience

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.