Where would Rousseau have gone had he played? [in college in 2020]

whorlnut

6 minutes ago, The Dean said:

If he performed to the level he performed the year before, or to the level he is performing now, I'd say "pretty damn high".

Allen barely played his first year at Wyoming. He had a better statistical year in his second year than in his last, that's for sure. But no, I don't think he would have gone higher than the 7th pick in the first round in any earlier year.

He’s on pace for 10 sacks which would be extremely impressive. The thing I like even more about him though is his run defense, which has been outstanding. He had a key stop for loss on 3rd and 2 in the first half and has a Multiple stop for losses this year. His football IQ seems off the charts.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 1

The Frenchman would have likely gone top 15, we can count ourselves lucky that we got him where we did, 👍

As an aside, Damn lucky we have Beane & Co doing their homework!

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 6

7 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

He’s on pace for 10 sacks which would be extremely impressive. The thing I like even more about him though is his run defense, which has been outstanding. He had a key stop for loss on 3rd and 2 in the first half and has a Multiple stop for losses this year. His football IQ seems off the charts.

I've been very impressed with him, so far. And even though Basham hasn't played  much, when he has he's made some plays as well. Love the rookies so far.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, The Dean said:

I've been very impressed with him, so far. And even though Basham hasn't played  much, when he has he's made some plays as well. Love the rookies so far.

Cool thing about Boogie is he grew up in Roanoke Va, where my nephew played against him in HS, then he went to Wake Forest where my son goes to college. High high character guy

1 minute ago, Turbo44 said:

Cool thing about Boogie is he grew up in Roanoke Va, where my nephew played against him in HS, then he went to Wake Forest where my son goes to college. High high character guy

Good to know. For the most part, this seems like a team of High Character guys.

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Allen barely played his first year at Wyoming. He had a better statistical year in his second year than in his last, that's for sure. But no, I don't think he would have gone higher than the 7th pick in the first round in any earlier year.

Yeah, I think he actually meant that after 2016 Josh was several times projected as the #1 pick, and then after 2017 he dropped a bit.

I think there's a decent chance he might indeed have gone earlier than 7th if he'd left the year before. In 2016 he was surrounded by significantly better talent. After 2016 his completion percentage was 56.0 after previously throwing only 4 college passes. The next year that went up, but by less than one percent, from 56.0% to 56.3%. That can't have looked good to NFL scouts. His Y/A dropped precipitously, from an impressive 8.3 to a poor 6.7. His rating dropped a lot. His TD percentage dropped a lot. His supporting cast got worse, but it just didn't look like he got better, even if he actually did. His yards per rush also dropped quite a bit., from 3.7 YPA to 2.2.

The one thing (and it's important but it's about the only thing that improved) was INT %. He threw a lot more safely that second year.

IMO he had a good chance to go higher that year when he'd have been up against Mahomes and Trubisky among the top QBs, rather than Darnold, Mayfield and Rosen. At the time, the class he came out in was considered a much stronger class, even if you discounted Allen himself.

Far from a sure thing, of course, but my guess is that he could easily have gone higher, with people worrying deeply about lack of experience but taking him on potential.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, The Dean said:

If he performed to the level he performed the year before, or to the level he is performing now, I'd say "pretty damn high".

My main point was just to state, no way to predict where Rousseau would have gone if he hadn't opted out.  Every year plays jump up in the draft and other drop.

33 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

Yeah, such a good pick. Looks to be a Bills stalwart for a decade.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, I think he actually meant that after 2016 Josh was several times projected as the #1 pick, and then after 2017 he dropped a bit.

I think there's a decent chance he might indeed have gone earlier than 7th if he'd left the year before. In 2016 he was surrounded by significantly better talent. After 2016 his completion percentage was 56.0 after previously throwing only 4 college passes. The next year that went up, but by less than one percent, from 56.0% to 56.3%. That can't have looked good to NFL scouts. His Y/A dropped precipitously, from an impressive 8.3 to a poor 6.7. His rating dropped a lot. His TD percentage dropped a lot. His supporting cast got worse, but it just didn't look like he got better, even if he actually did. His yards per rush also dropped quite a bit., from 3.7 YPA to 2.2.

The one thing (and it's important but it's about the only thing that improved) was INT %. He threw a lot more safely that second year.

IMO he had a good chance to go higher that year when he'd have been up against Mahomes and Trubisky among the top QBs, rather than Darnold, Mayfield and Rosen. At the time, the class he came out in was considered a much stronger class, even if you discounted Allen himself.

Far from a sure thing, of course, but my guess is that he could easily have gone higher, with people worrying deeply about lack of experience but taking him on potential.

While we'll never know, I believe the real beginning of the ascent of Allen was during the Senior Bowl week, where scouts and coached really noticed his special physical gifts. That's my recollection anyway, He started becoming "a thing" well after his final season at Wyoming. 

6 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

My main point was just to state, no way to predict where Rousseau would have gone if he hadn't opted out.  Every year plays jump up in the draft and other drop.

I agree completely. What I was saying is IF he performed to the level he had the previous year, and/or how he looks to be performing now, I'd guessing he'd have gone pretty damn high. With a down year, his draft status may have suffered.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

The Frenchman would have likely gone top 15, we can count ourselves lucky that we got him where we did, 👍

As an aside, Damn lucky we have Beane & Co doing their homework!

Go Bills!!!

agree - the first edge player drafted went 18th, his team mate - hard to imagine two players playing the same position on the same team going that high in the same draft, esp since sacks are the sexy number and they would be competing for that very same treasure...so one may have cancel the other at times..

https://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker/picks/

I actually had a thread on this just before the draft.  Looked back at two "way too early" mock drafts that were published just AFTER the 2020 draft was completed.  Thought the mocks are quite different from each other, both had listed Rousseau as top 5 picks based on what he had done that year before opting out.  If you make the assumption that if he played, he would have stayed healthy and had a similar year, he likely would have been a top-5 pick

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, The Dean said:

While we'll never know, I believe the real beginning of the ascent of Allen was during the Senior Bowl week, where scouts and coached really noticed his special physical gifts. That's my recollection anyway, He started becoming "a thing" well after his final season at Wyoming. 

No, not at all.

Here's an article from before the 2017 season by Zierlein listing Allen as the #2 QB prospect for after that season after Darnold.

https://www.nfl.com/news/sam-darnold-josh-allen-lead-top-cfb-qbs-to-watch-in-2017-0ap3000000819400

Here's an October 2017 article where Kiper and McShay both say he's a top 15 guy despite his step backwards that he was suffering at this point.

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2017/10/13/mel-kiper-todd-mcshay-still-think-josh-allen-is-a-top-15-prospect/

Here's one from August 25th, before the 2017 season, listing Allen as the 9th best CFB player:

https://www.nfl.com/news/top-150-college-football-players-for-2017-nos-1-10-0ap3000000808316

Here's an article pointing out a Schefty quote:  "Allen's anonymity ended almost immediately after the final selection of the 2017 NFL draft was made on April 29, when ESPN reporter Adam Schefter said: "There was one personnel director who told me this week that you can put in the books, Josh Allen will be the No. 1 pick in the NFL draft next year." The quote's near the top of the article. Also says he almost turned pro that year, he actually told his agent he would but that he decided it just didn't feel right after all.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/20117075/wyoming-cowboys-josh-allen-goes-unknown-no-1-pick-nfl-draft-buzz

"Wyoming quarterback Josh Allen, a rising junior, is on his way from OVERLOOKED FARM BOY TO THE TOP PICK of the 2018 NFL draft" (May 15th, 2017)

"But everyone is taking notice of Allen now. On Jan. 9, agents beat a path past the rows of cotton and cantaloupes on the family's 2,000-acre farm to sit in the Allens' living room. When Clemson beat Alabama for the national title, Josh watched the game with six representatives from mega-agency CAA. Though college players aren't allowed to sign with agents, they are allowed to take informational meetings. LaVonne served them pizza as the CAA reps broke down everything their company might do for Allen should he decide to turn pro. That night he decided his lone season as the starter at Wyoming was preparation enough. After one year at Reedley he had transferred to Wyoming, where in 2016 he threw for 3,203 yards with 28 touchdowns and 15 interceptions, leading the Cowboys to the top of the Mountain Division in the Mountain West. He called some of his receivers and told them he'd break the news to Cowboys coach Craig Bohl in the morning. "As soon as I made that decision, anxiety started running through my body," Allen says. "I didn't sleep one ounce, one bit, one hour, one second that night."

https://vault.si.com/vault/2017/05/15/no-one-no-1

He really did impress scouts at the Senior Bowl, though, I remember that. He'd cleaned up his mechanics a bit in his sessions with Jordan Palmer, and it showed. But people were absolutely already watching. His poorer year in 2017 may actually have made him a better player but a lower pick. No way to say that for sure, but it's certainly possible.

I think it was Mayock who said he'd never seen a guy help himself more in the pre-draft process than Allen did. A lot of that was Josh's personality, smarts and determination, but a lot was also his work with Palmer. If he'd done that the year before, who knows?

Edited by Thurman#1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.