Is watching this amazing team a little bittersweet for you due to the loss of someone?

Arkady Renko

Just wondering if the joy of last night had a tinge of sadness and regret for anyone else who has lost a close Bills fan recently.  I was overjoyed last night but all of a sudden this sharp pain hit me after the initial excitement wore off.  

One of my great joys growing up was watching the Bills with my father during the Super Bowl years.  He wasn't a Bills fan originally (was actually a Colts fan until they moved) but I converted him to the closest team that I selected as a kid.  He eventually cared almost as much as me.  He died this spring after a horrendous ordeal with cancer in the midst of all the COVID terribleness.  He lasted less than a year after his diagnosis.  

We watched the MNF game against the Patriots last year in the emergency room.  We never got to watch another Bills game together.  He was in the hospital for the next month or so and we weren't allowed to visit him or enjoy the playoff run with him.  He could hardly communicate during this time.  He rallied in February but then crashed suddenly a couple months later.   I obviously want the Bills to win it all, but it just sucks that this might be the year for the Bills and I won't be able to share it with him.  

Sorry if this is too real or brings people down but if someone else is dealing with this know that you are not alone.  

• Like (+1) 9
  • Sad 14
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 4

What Promo said, life isn’t always fair, but the love we have for one another is what makes our lives so fulfilling, 🙏 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Absolutely. Every Sunday cousins and family all went to my grand parents house were grandma would be in the kitchen since church ended cooking for 20ish people and my grand father didn't move from his chair for 6 hours. 

Even with the great grand kids there he never held back. 

Bledsoe! You fking pig on ice, move your ass!

Miss them all and wouldn't be a bills fan if it wasn't for them. 

Edited by The Wiz
  • Awesome! (+1) 6

There is nothing about this time period that a lot of us don't remember from the late '80s and into the 1990s.

For those who were around then, this time period feels about the same.

If we win a SB, yes, that will be different.

My dad passed away in 2003 and he'd be the first person I'd want to celebrate with.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

yes of course.  Chris my buddy aka Tonto.... long time Bills seasons ticket as well as Yankees season tickets holder. Lived in Queens but had his Bills seasons consistently. Attend 2 games, sell 2 games, donate the rest to Boys and girls Club. They grandfathered him into allowing he to keep his seasons even though not a resident of Erie County. **** CANCER. I wish he was here to witness this.

we had an inside joke with a tarzan cry........ so for you Tonto awwww-eeeeee-awwwwwww lol what a character.

m

Edited by Muppy
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, Arkady Renko said:

Just wondering if the joy of last night had a tinge of sadness and regret for anyone else who has lost a close Bills fan recently.  I was overjoyed last night but all of a sudden this sharp pain hit me after the initial excitement wore off.  

One of my great joys growing up was watching the Bills with my father during the Super Bowl years.  He wasn't a Bills fan originally (was actually a Colts fan until they moved) but I converted him to the closest team that I selected as a kid.  He eventually cared almost as much as me.  He died this spring after a horrendous ordeal with cancer in the midst of all the COVID terribleness.  He lasted less than a year after his diagnosis.  

We watched the MNF game against the Patriots last year in the emergency room.  We never got to watch another Bills game together.  He was in the hospital for the next month or so and we weren't allowed to visit him or enjoy the playoff run with him.  He could hardly communicate during this time.  He rallied in February but then crashed suddenly a couple months later.   I obviously want the Bills to win it all, but it just sucks that this might be the year for the Bills and I won't be able to share it with him.  

Sorry if this is too real or brings people down but if someone else is dealing with this know that you are not alone.  

I'm sorry to hear that man. Best

• Thank you (+1) 1

I’m very sorry for the OP’s loss. My own father was a Bills and AFL fan since 1960. He took me to my first game the last year of the Rockpile. Johnny U beat us 17-0.  We went to a game a year as a kid, including the Chuck Foreman “ice ball” game. When I was an adult we did an away game a year for almost 15 years. Saw lots of stadiums together.

We lost him 5 years ago tomorrow. I’m crying like a baby when we win it all….

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, The Dean said:

For those of you who are unaware, The Senator died on Sunday, September 26th, before kickoff. I believe he is rooting the team on from wherever his consciousness has relocated.

19-1

Good-night sweet prince, and flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

Edited by The Wiz
  • Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, The Dean said:

For those of you who are unaware, The Senator died on Sunday, September 26th, before kickoff. I believe he is rooting the team on from wherever his consciousness has relocated.

Sorry to hear about The Senator. Always enjoyed his optimism around here with his 

19-0 baby!

He will be missed. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.