Yes, the refs suck. No, they are not angling for the Bills to lose.

Just now, Warcodered said:

If they are biased it's toward keeping the game interesting which still sucks.

I watched more baseball than I usually do this season, and I heard announcers say more than once that a borderline strike call can depend a lot on what the count is.

I'm sure they do that kind of thing in the NFL.  It's all in the context of the game, and keeping people tuned in.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

It’s that they are not consistent within a game, or from one game to the next, ie; the phantom holding call on Morse, it’s frustrating as hell, 

Go Bills!!!

This. 

Also, I don’t believe in an overall “scripting” conspiracy, but all it really takes is one or two calls from one or two refs to sway a game. 

And don’t forget, these officials work for the league. And just about every business has its share of “company men”.

1 minute ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Even a friend of mine who is a die hard Chiefs fan, texted me in the first quarter and said “obvious home cooking”.  It might not be a bias against the Bills specifically, but the calls were clearly going on favor of the  Chiefs, especially early in the game. 

That being said, how can you say with certainty that the obvious one sided officiating is unintentional?

I acknowledged that yesterday's game in particular had more calls in favor of the Chiefs, but the single most pivotal one disfavored them.  So the "home cooking" thing is anecdotal to those earlier calls.  

And I can't say with certainty.  It's my opinion that there's nothing substantial behind it.  I think it's farfetched to believe that the NFL hands down marching orders for bias in these games.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, fan_in_tx said:

With all due respect, I believe it was a make up call for the phantom holding call the play before.  No holding call then there is no need for Josh to be in that position and throw the pick.

I personally thought the RTP was a correct and justified call according to the NFL rules and how they've been being enforced.

Clark had both hands around Allen's lower body, lifted it, threw him down and landed full body weight on top of him. That would be a penalty if the ball is there or not.

I thought the Oliver RTP call was a bit more tenuous

Of course I thought holding call on Morse was "phantom"

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

As far as I know, some have suggested there is a real officiating bias against the away team.

The theory is that the refs are--even on a subconscious level--trying to make the home crowd happy by ruling in favor of the home team, particularly with regard to really close plays.

Or something like that.

I also definitely think there is a bias that favors the proven, established, winning team over a team the is perceived to be not nearly as good.  The idea is that the better player on the better team is less likely to have to commit a foul, so the official is less likely to call it on him.

The bad player on the bad team is more likely to have to commit the foul, so he gets called more frequently.

This would all be taking place on a subconscious level as well, most likely.

How any of this would be proven, I don't know.

Watch Jerry Hughes film before and after he chewed out that ref?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

They are beyond atrocious. Very easy fix. Throw less flags. About 75% less. Only blatant fouls that effect the play should be called. The best games to watch are the ones with the fewest flags. The flow is just so much better. What's the point of calling that many penalties, most of them borderline? Then you have to throw more make up flags and you're reaching for fouls. It's absolutely ridiculous. 

I feel like the refs feel like they are more important than they are, and they need to call everything possible. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

This. 

Also, I don’t believe in an overall “scripting” conspiracy, but all it really takes is one or two calls from one or two refs to sway a game. 

And don’t forget, these officials work for the league. And just about every business has its share of “company men”.

Agree. One "conspiracy" angle could be that they aren't scripting games, but they do want them to be close. For instance, this was the marquise matchup of the week. I'm sure marketing-wise, they would have loved a close, back-and-forth shootout that everyone was talking about Monday morning (like the Chargers/Browns game). But then the Bills came in on fire. Well, you could make a couple of calls for the Chiefs at opportune moments to at least keep the game interesting/closer, but then when it looks like the bad calls could actually change what seemed to be an obvious outcome (a Bills win), you compensate back the other way. [Though, by the rule, I also think the roughing the passer call against Josh was legit.] That way, the game is more interesting, but hopefully, the team that should win still does. I don't think the NFL does this for all games, but for the big games, I could definitely see that as a possibility.

There are, however, times when I think there is or has been team-bias from refs (especially with the Brady-led Pats), but I definitely don't think that's what was going on last night.

4 minutes ago, goldenboy81 said:

If somebody would be kind to explain the offensive holding on the chiefs that resulted in a 1st and 5 for them.

I've never recall seeing that before usually it would be 1st and 20. Ty

Yeah, that one threw me for a loop too. I rewound the dvr like three times to try and figure it out. The best I can make of it is they assessed the penalty from the end of the run, since the hold was out in front of the play (rather than a hold behind that sprang the runner). And since the runner made it 5 yards past the first down marker, they moved back 10 yards from there (so 5 yards behind the marker). And then I guess, is a hold an automatic first down? So they take away the first down the runner got with the assessed penalty, but give them the automatic first down from the new spot...and then the first down marker is now only 5 yards away.

That's what I think they did, but I'm still not so sure they were correct in that. Feels like either the whole play should come back and then be first and 20. Or if they were correct in assessing the penalty from the end of the run, then their spot was correct, but the automatic first down, should have made it a first and 10 from there. It should be a reset. You don't keep the old first down marker where it was do you?

Diggs and McDermott were both fuming on the sideline after that play, so I assume that the refs screwed up. I'm surprised I haven't seen the play mentioned before you did goldenboy81. I would also love to hear the explanation for it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, folz said:

Yeah, that one threw me for a loop too. I rewound the dvr like three times to try and figure it out. The best I can make of it is they assessed the penalty from the end of the run, since the hold was out in front of the play (rather than a hold behind that sprang the runner). And since the runner made it 5 yards past the first down marker, they moved back 10 yards from there (so 5 yards behind the marker). And then I guess, is a hold an automatic first down? So they take away the first down the runner got with the assessed penalty, but give them the automatic first down from the new spot...and then the first down marker is now only 5 yards away.

That's what I think they did, but I'm still not so sure they were correct in that. Feels like either the whole play should come back and then be first and 20. Or if they were correct in assessing the penalty from the end of the run, then their spot was correct, but the automatic first down, should have made it a first and 10 from there. It should be a reset. You don't keep the old first down marker where it was do you?

Diggs and McDermott were both fuming on the sideline after that play, so I assume that the refs screwed up. I'm surprised I haven't seen the play mentioned before you did goldenboy81. I would also love to hear the explanation for it.

This confused me a bit too but I think you're spot on.  And they don't do a reset.  I've seen some weird ones like 1st and 9 or even 1st and 1 before in these scenarios.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, goldenboy81 said:

If somebody would be kind to explain the offensive holding on the chiefs that resulted in a 1st and 5 for them.

I've never recall seeing that before usually it would be 1st and 20. Ty

The holding was called on the WR down the field. When it's blocking downfield like that it turns into a spot foul,  in this case the WR was called for holding 15 yards from the line of scrimmage

2 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

It’s that they are not consistent within a game, or from one game to the next, ie; the phantom holding call on Morse, it’s frustrating as hell, 

Go Bills!!!

Exactly. It’s like an ump changing his strike zone in-game. 

I mean rarely do people complain about NCAA refs; just implement that same damn system with NFL rule tweaks.

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I personally thought the RTP was a correct and justified call according to the NFL rules and how they've been being enforced.

Clark had both hands around Allen's lower body, lifted it, threw him down and landed full body weight on top of him. That would be a penalty if the ball is there or not.

I thought the Oliver RTP call was a bit more tenuous

Of course I thought holding call on Morse was "phantom"

To me it looked like JA jumped to make the throw and Clark hit him while he was already in the air

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.