Looking to the future: What positions are this teams weaknesses?

Watkins101

With the new additions and developments of some of our players, it is looking like some of our areas of weaknesses from a year ago have changed. No matter how good a team is, it still has ways that it can improve, and I am curious to see what we will need to add, particularly for next year.

Qb: obviously Allen is great. Mitch  is here on a 1 year deal, so we’ll likely to somehow add another backup next year.

Rb: This position is definitely not a strength, but moss and Singletary have been adequate this year. Definitely a position that could be added to, but doesn’t need upheaval

TE: Knox has been emerging as a TE1 so far this year, which has been one of the biggest changes. An upgrade at TE2 would be good, and I think a mid round pick would be well spent on a TE to develop, similar to Knox.

Wr: Diggs is a good number one, Davis is a good #3-4. Beasley is still under contract, and likely will still be here. Sanders contract expires however, so I’d look to add to the Wr room, but I wouldn’t consider it a priority, as the core is still solid, and Davis still has a lot of upside 

OT: We’re set for starters at OT, with Dawkins, Williams, and Brown all capable. Some depth could be added.

IOL: I would like to see some work on the interior offensive line this year in the draft, the trenches are extremely important, and an improved interior will help our run game to improve, which will help open the passing game more. Currently Morse, Feliciano, and Williams are adequate, but more picks ala Brown in the 2nd-3rd would be great for this team in the long run, to learn from these players and surpass them. 

DL: The balance has been great, and with further development by Basham, Rosseau, and Oliver, we won’t be needing Addison much longer. I could see Hughes being brought back. They could again use picks on the DL, but I suspect they would only use later round picks, unless they see a steal, but they may just bring in some cheap vet help. 

LB: This team is set at starting LB, just need some more added depth.

CB: CB 1 and our slot CB are locked up, I would like Wallace back, but also in favor of bringing in some competition via draft or FA, also need depth.

S: Locked up starters, need more depth here as well

K: Bassomatic is here, we’re fine

P: Could potentially be improved, but not the end of the world, we don’t punt much.

LS: good old Reid is fine. 

After looking at this team, it seems the priority should be mainly accumulating depth this off-season, as well as looking to Improve (whether next season or down the road a bit) 

IOL

Cb 2

TE 2

Wr 2?

QB 2

I would be looking into the early rounds of the draft seeking to improve the interior offensive line and 2nd cornerback specifically.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Can never have too many good corners and as good as Star and Zimmer have been we could groom another NT with Star getting up there in years.

He is playing at a high level now, but hard to maintain that the deeper into your 30s a player in the trenches gets.

Not sure what we have in Horrible Harry as he has not been able to stay in the lineup...

C and G depth would be good, but if the Bills invest there I expect it will be between the 3rd and 5th rounds where they seem to find good OL value.

This may be their philosophy going in, but you know if another Groot-like player falls to them Beane will not hesitate to pull the trigger.

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Watkins101 said:

With the new additions and developments of some of our players, it is looking like some of our areas of weaknesses from a year ago have changed. No matter how good a team is, it still has ways that it can improve, and I am curious to see what we will need to add, particularly for next year.

Qb: obviously Allen is great. Mitch  is here on a 1 year deal, so we’ll likely to somehow add another backup next year.

Rb: This position is definitely not a strength, but moss and Singletary have been adequate this year. Definitely a position that could be added to, but doesn’t need upheaval

TE: Knox has been emerging as a TE1 so far this year, which has been one of the biggest changes. An upgrade at TE2 would be good, and I think a mid round pick would be well spent on a TE to develop, similar to Knox.

Wr: Diggs is a good number one, Davis is a good #3-4. Beasley is still under contract, and likely will still be here. Sanders contract expires however, so I’d look to add to the Wr room, but I wouldn’t consider it a priority, as the core is still solid, and Davis still has a lot of upside 

OT: We’re set for starters at OT, with Dawkins, Williams, and Brown all capable. Some depth could be added.

IOL: I would like to see some work on the interior offensive line this year in the draft, the trenches are extremely important, and an improved interior will help our run game to improve, which will help open the passing game more. Currently Morse, Feliciano, and Williams are adequate, but more picks ala Brown in the 2nd-3rd would be great for this team in the long run, to learn from these players and surpass them. 

DL: The balance has been great, and with further development by Basham, Rosseau, and Oliver, we won’t be needing Addison much longer. I could see Hughes being brought back. They could again use picks on the DL, but I suspect they would only use later round picks, unless they see a steal, but they may just bring in some cheap vet help. 

CB: CB 1 and our slot CB are locked up, I would like Wallace back, but also in favor of bringing in some competition via draft or FA, also need depth.

P: Could potentially be improved, but not the end of the world, we don’t punt much.

After looking at this team, it seems the priority should be mainly accumulating depth this off-season, as well as looking to Improve (whether next season or down the road a bit) 

IOL

Cb 2

TE 2

Wr 2?

QB 2

I would be looking into the early rounds of the draft seeking to improve the interior offensive line and 2nd cornerback specifically.

I agree....QB2, CB2, TE2 and 1T backup. Gabe needs to be allowed to battle for the WR2 spot.

in other words what would the early rounds of our draft look like ? my priorities:

CB  - Levi may leave for greener pastures - and or - can we afford to keep him 

interior OL. interior DL -

S - Hyde, Poyer - age

WR-TE - its a passing league - depth

P - would be cool to draft a boomer in the 7th round and save a few bucks in that department

3 hours ago, Watkins101 said:

IOL

Cb 2

TE 2

Wr 2?

QB 2

Likely Singletary will stick around till his contract is up, then draft his replacement, a year later same thing could happen with Moss.

Think Davis is better than a #3 or 4,  Not a slot guy, but could be a good #2.  Not so sure Beasley will be back next year. This year between the compressed salary cap and not enough time between when people could get vaxxed  and start of camp not enough time to make alternative plans.   But by next year with more money and time, think the 8% of un-vaxxed players still in the league will be very small, only a true superstar may still have a job.    Could resign Sander and move him to slot.  Recall reading a couple months back that Sanders best position actually is slot.

Think interior line will be more than just signing for depth.  Could see them draft a center or guard fairly high to maybe start in Morse's place.

If Star keeps playing at the level he currently is, likely will bring him back next year, but could see them using a 2nd or 3rd on his replacement, and let him sit next next season.

Do a similar thing at safety and use mid round pick to become eventual starter, though do have Hamlin and Johnson.

Could see a high maybe 1st round used at CB to replace Wallace as just can't se them re-signing him. Need cheap replacements someplace and can afford one rookie there.  Also think CB and RB are two easiest positions for rookies to come in and play right away.

Could see a 5th or 6th rounder used on a top punter, same way the brought  Bass in.  Not to make light of it, but honestly think punter may be the weakest starting position on the team.

• Agree 2

59 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Likely Singletary will stick around till his contract is up, then draft his replacement, a year later same thing could happen with Moss.

Think Davis is better than a #3 or 4,  Not a slot guy, but could be a good #2.  Not so sure Beasley will be back next year. This year between the compressed salary cap and not enough time between when people could get vaxxed  and start of camp not enough time to make alternative plans.   But by next year with more money and time, think the 8% of un-vaxxed players still in the league will be very small, only a true superstar may still have a job.    Could resign Sander and move him to slot.  Recall reading a couple months back that Sanders best position actually is slot.

Think interior line will be more than just signing for depth.  Could see them draft a center or guard fairly high to maybe start in Morse's place.

If Star keeps playing at the level he currently is, likely will bring him back next year, but could see them using a 2nd or 3rd on his replacement, and let him sit next next season.

Do a similar thing at safety and use mid round pick to become eventual starter, though do have Hamlin and Johnson.

Could see a high maybe 1st round used at CB to replace Wallace as just can't se them re-signing him. Need cheap replacements someplace and can afford one rookie there.  Also think CB and RB are two easiest positions for rookies to come in and play right away.

Could see a 5th or 6th rounder used on a top punter, same way the brought  Bass in.  Not to make light of it, but honestly think punter may be the weakest starting position on the team.

I agree with basically all of this. Solid breakdown. 

CB/DB with top pick makes a ton of sense, followed, in my opinion, by possibilities at OG/C, DT, and offensive playmaker (WR, TE, RB...whatever flashes value/upside in the draft). I favor boundary CB in the 1st. The time will be right to add another late-1st round talent in the secondary. Gotta keep the cupboards stocked there.

Then again, I'll never be angry about drafting linemen. 

16 hours ago, Watkins101 said:

IOL

Cb 2

TE 2

Wr 2?

QB 2

Nicely done and if you're at all like me, isn't it pretty weird not having an incredibly obvious hole to fill on the roster?  After so many years of just awful rosters, this is a refreshing change.

I like your list but I might put DL in 5th place just because Addison is likely gone and Jerry isn't getting any younger.  I definitely think we will draft at least a couple offensive linemen for depth or to replace a current starter.

I also definitely think we will go for a WR, maybe even early but if it were me, my #2 WR is someone already on the team - re-sign Sanders.  I know he's not going to be around for a decade but he just seems like one of those guys that can stick around for a long time and be effective like Rice (not comparing him to Rice, just how long I think he can play) or Darrell Green.

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, Watkins101 said:

Qb: obviously Allen is great. Mitch  is here on a 1 year deal, so we’ll likely to somehow add another backup next year. I think Mitch Actually comes back to Buffalo.  But if not there are some other options like Mariota, Foles.  But I am not seeing any way a team gives Mitch a contract to start for them. So he will be looking for BU jobs IMO, and will likely come back here. 

Rb: This position is definitely not a strength, but moss and Singletary have been adequate this year. Definitely a position that could be added to, but doesn’t need upheaval - RB room is fine, UDFAs or low rent RB in UFA like Brieda is fine.  (Brieda and Jones are UFAs)

TE: Knox has been emerging as a TE1 so far this year, which has been one of the biggest changes. An upgrade at TE2 would be good, and I think a mid round pick would be well spent on a TE to develop, similar to Knox. There are some nice Vets hitting the market I would like to sign before trying to address TE2 in Draft.  Guys like Njoku, James, Hurst, Howard to name a few. 

Wr: Diggs is a good number one, Davis is a good #3-4. Beasley is still under contract, and likely will still be here. Sanders contract expires however, so I’d look to add to the Wr room, but I wouldn’t consider it a priority, as the core is still solid, and Davis still has a lot of upside.   (McKenzie and Sanders UFAs).  JuJu Could be an option here if he agrees with how McD runs this team.  Can likely come cheap on a Prove It Deal if Sanders does retire.  I would say lock this job up with young talent like Godwin (but he is gonna get paid) so likely this is a Draft answer.  Re-sign McKenzie.  

OT: We’re set for starters at OT, with Dawkins, Williams, and Brown all capable. Some depth could be added. Just like with the IOL below, I think one thing I have learned about Beane and McD is that there will b 4-6 players added on the OL on one year deals for competition.  I like how they continually are bringing in Lineman.

IOL: I would like to see some work on the interior offensive line this year in the draft, the trenches are extremely important, and an improved interior will help our run game to improve, which will help open the passing game more. Currently Morse, Feliciano, and Williams are adequate, but more picks ala Brown in the 2nd-3rd would be great for this team in the long run, to learn from these players and surpass them. I think this is the biggest weakness.  Need to find an upgrade to Feliciano, and plan for life after Morse.  I am find with making Williams a full time RG.  So that leaves the LG and C positions (go into the draft for Center).  (Bates and Boettger are UFAs).  

DL: The balance has been great, and with further development by Basham, Rosseau, and Oliver, we won’t be needing Addison much longer. I could see Hughes being brought back. They could again use picks on the DL, but I suspect they would only use later round picks, unless they see a steal, but they may just bring in some cheap vet help. (Butler, Phillips, Zimmer, Hughes, Addison, Obada are UFAs) - Our depth at the DL is going to take a hit in the offseason.  I think they will go into the draft again here to get young.  However I can see Hughes, Addison, Zimmer brought back.  Replace Butler, Phillips, Obada in the rotation).  

LB: This team is set at starting LB, just need some more added depth. (LBers will be all together again next year, only Contract up is Dodson).  I think what they do in this position group will largely depend on how they feel about Edmunds.  This would be the offseason to look at his replacement if they are not sold on him.  I think they are, so I think they will ignore this position group.  

CB: CB 1 and our slot CB are locked up, I would like Wallace back, but also in favor of bringing in some competition via draft or FA, also need depth. I think this group is the weakest of the team, but that doesnt mean it is bad they are solid.  I think they just got to finally find a long term CB2 at this point, this will likely be the 1st round Pick IMO next year.  

LS: good old Reid is fine. Need to re-sign Ferguson but that is all.  

IOL

Cb 2

TE 2

Wr 2?

QB 2

I go weakest Groups are 

DB

IOL

TE

Comments in bold.

Center, OG, DT, RB.

I expect the Interior OL to be Beane's next offseason project like WR was in 2020 and DL was this year.

From all reports, this will be Morse's last year. We need at least one starting OG on the right side, and some depth behind Feliciano (and his future replacement).

Edited by DrDawkinstein

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.