Question about the OL...

eball

I rarely focus on OL play during my first (live) watch of a Bills game unless it's a replay of somebody getting beat for a sack, so I didn't really pay attention to Spencer Brown.  How'd he do?

Also, can anyone tell me how Cody Ford played?  I mean, you know McD and Beane put him back into the lineup because he's a 2nd round pick...right?

Spencer played very well and Williams was not the liability playing right guard that folks thought he would be. They looked pretty solid and Allen had loads of time on most every play and they were often getting to the second level on run plays.

Mondo was in at left guard and I am not sure if Ike B. took any snaps - would have to look for our snap counts that game. I do not believe Ford took any snaps.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

I rarely focus on OL play during my first (live) watch of a Bills game unless it's a replay of somebody getting beat for a sack, so I didn't really pay attention to Spencer Brown.  How'd he do?

Also, can anyone tell me how Cody Ford played?  I mean, you know McD and Beane put him back into the lineup because he's a 2nd round pick...right?

I enjoyed seeing the boards on their fan sites freaking out about how much time Allen had back there - one guy was talking about Allen ordering ribs, waiting for them to be delivered, and eating them.

He had time, and to Gunner's point I think a few times Spencer got caught in space with extra rushers coming at him or going wide, but nothing Allen was not able to side step and for a Rook starting his second game not too shabby. Williams did a better job inside on the right than some of the other space fillers we have used there - was active and kept his feet moving and maintained pretty decent balance and leverage.

I was again impressed by Brown. He finished his blocks really well and I don’t recall him getting beat off the edge. 

Ford didn’t play last night. At least not according to the snap counts I saw.

Looks like the Ford experiment is close to being over. 

Edited by Bangarang

Here's a snippet from BAldy:

Just now, Bangarang said:

Me thinks the OP was being sarcastic...

Brown is still raw, but to get a specimen like that from a small school and have him play at that level is only his second career start in Arrowhead is an incredible find.

He plays with a ton of energy in the run game ... he is not out of control but he is whistle to whistle.

Brown has looked great at RT and D Williams at RG has looked good the past two weeks (and although the Texans are generally bad the players Williams had to block is a good DT). I thought Mongo at LG was solid against KC although hard to tell with Jones hurt.

I think we will get a full assessment of the Oline against a solid Titans defense. But I do think the configuration that they have now is working and will work long term.

2 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I was again impressed by Brown. He finished his blocks really well and I don’t recall him getting beat off the edge. 

Ford will either get traded for a late round pick in camp next season or be kept on as a back up before they let him walk. I was high on Ford in the draft and was hoping he could catch on at guard but his atrocious play this year leads me to think he is a bust. 

I don’t hate keeping him as a backup for one more season maybe coaching can work with him in practice this season and in camp to help him out and it makes him better?

• Agree 1

He made a nice block to clean the backside on that QB sweep.  I also thought he pinned well on the Allen TD run.  Pass pro wise, the end on his side was largely invisible.  

4 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Ford will either get traded for a late round pick in camp next season or be kept on as a back up before they let him walk. I was high on Ford in the draft and was hoping he could catch on at guard but his atrocious play this year leads me to think he is a bust. 

I don’t hate keeping him as a backup for one more season maybe coaching can work with him in practice this season and in camp to help him out and it makes him better?

He can play tackle and guard, is familiar with the terminology and has started games in the NFL.  Considering he's guaranteed and trade compensation will likely be 5th or later, really depends if we need the picks or not.  

33 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Williams did a better job inside on the right than some of the other space fillers we have used there - was active and kept his feet moving and maintained pretty decent balance and leverage.

Agree without having taken a second look yet this was a better showing from Williams than last week. The Chiefs D line was woeful though so hopefully that sustains through the remaining weeks.

12 minutes ago, ticketssince61 said:

In general, it seemed to me that the run blocking was not very good. It seemed that the RB's were stuffed at the line of scrimmage quite frequently which lead to many 2nd and 3rd and long's.

They put 10 in the box and we were in an obvious run formation with Diggs and Sanders on the sidelines at times. I think that helped them stuff the run game at the line on some plays.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.