Chiefs Chant Before Game

cv05

23 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

When one appropriates another race's culture and misinterprets its rituals to the point where many members of the race are offended, it's a pretty good sign that one thinks of that race as inferior.

6 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I know plenty of native Americans who liked the name Washington Redskins because they thought it honored them .. and they were glad to be represented in the NFL

Not to mention that many natives actually painted their faces red with ocher for a thousand years.. it's historical

But Cancel culture is coming for everything 

If Dan Schneider was out bashing native Americans week in and week out it would be distasteful..but he's always been respectful about it and said it's about pride

2 minutes ago, Chaos said:

The broadcast segued from a very very serious discussion about a 2011 email that might posing be construed as racist to 70,000 chanting a way that clearly makes a mockery of Native Americans.  But hey consistency is not particularly important in 2021 social justice warfare. 

I've been thinking about this. People get so hung up on "cultural appropriation." I don't think it's that pernicious. "Redskins" is racist and a term of derision. "Indians" is inappropriate but how different is it from "Irish" or "Canucks?" "Chiefs" and "Braves" strikes me no different than "Generals" or "Warriors." As long as it's done with honor and respect.

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yeah but Dan Schneider's not the original owner... You can't blame him for somebody else's faults a long time ago

Buffalo Bill Cody was a civil war scout who killed native Americans in battle... The bills don't honor Buffalo Bill Cody even though we're named after him  

It's just our name

Dan Schneider didn't come up with the name & the facts are he is the owner who REMOVED the name from the team.  So your assertion that someone is blaming the guy for the name who removed the team name, as well as removing the original owner from the Ring of Fame and website, is totally illogical.  

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

When one appropriates another race's culture and misinterprets its rituals to the point where many members of the race are offended, it's a pretty good sign that one thinks of that race as inferior.

If you say so it must be true. (Unfortunately, in this case…it’s not.)

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I've been thinking about this. People get so hung up on "cultural appropriation." I don't think it's that pernicious. "Redskins" is racist and a term of derision. "Indians" is inappropriate but how different is it from "Irish" or "Canucks?" "Chiefs" and "Braves" strikes me no different than "Generals" or "Warriors." As long as it's done with honor and respect.

You think Irish is inappropriate?

9 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yeah but Dan Schneider's not the original owner... You can't blame him for somebody else's faults a long time ago

Buffalo Bill Cody was a civil war  scout and fought in the Indian wars , killed native Americans.. he scalped a chief... The Buffalo Bills don't honor Bill Cody

It's just our name 

I think I can find plenty of other things to blame Dan Schneider for.

• Haha (+1) 2

Just now, Jauronimo said:

You think Irish is inappropriate?

I just mean it's an example of using a group of people as a mascot. I'm not offended. I'm not suggesting anyone is. Cleveland dropped the Indians because of cartoonish Chief Wahoo. But is "Indians" as a team name inherently racist? Many think so. I'm not so sure.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

I think it's all how it's used

If you walk up to a native and say hey redskin.. that's obviously very offensive

But natives used red ochre as war paint for a thousand years.. they have historical context painting their skin red... And referencing it 

If Dan Schneider said the Washington Redskins represent, The pride of native American warriors... And their history I don't see anything wrong with that

• Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I know plenty of native Americans who liked the name Washington Redskins because they thought it honored them .. and they were glad to be represented in the NFL

Not to mention that many natives actually painted their faces red with ocher for a thousand years.. it's historical

If Dan Schneider was out bashing native Americans week in and week out it would be distasteful..but he's always been respectful about it and said it's about pride 

I don't think there's anything nefarious with the Seminole war chant.. or the Chiefs tomahawk chop

It's just something stupid to get the fans in the game.. I really don't think there's anything nefarious behind

So if you buy a minor league team from some old bigot that he named the Wichita Lazy Mexicans, in your opinion, the name isn't offensive unless you're an unabashed racist yourself?  How does that make sense?  

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I don't really have a problem with "Chiefs" as a name, but the chop and chant are, in my opinion, racist. And while some Native Americans aren't offended by it, many are, and I don't feel like it's my place to tell them they should feel otherwise.

My whole family are Cleveland Indians' fans, and a few years ago, my brother was complaining about people asking them to change their name. "It's just a name," he said. "What's the big deal?" I responded, "Then why is is such a big deal to you? Would baseball not be the same game if the team had a different name?" I don't know that convinced him then, but since they did change the name, he's been supportive of the move.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 2

8 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Dan Schneider didn't come up with the name & the facts are he is the owner who REMOVED the name from the team.  So your assertion that someone is blaming the guy for the name who removed the team name, as well as removing the original owner from the Ring of Fame and website, is totally illogical.  

He Removed the name after years of pressure... Let's be real he did not want to change it

He stated a hundred times I will never change the name.. he folded because pressure  

Distancing yourself from a racist owner and actually disliking the name are completely different I think.. Schneider always wanted to keep the name he just fell to pressure

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

I feel really sorry for anyone that needs to play the racism card for anything they either dislike or don’t understand. There is nothing inclusive about cancel culture mentality to exclude all things they deem offensive. It’s time to grow the hell up and stop feeding into the narrative of racism. Funny how a quick scan of the crowds at FSU games and KC games would show that black people, white people and native Americans all participate in the chop. Football (sports) are a way to bring people together — but that doesn’t work for those content to divide rather than unite.

BTW — the Bills shout song is offensive to many too but it doesn’t make it racist. I’m glad we beat the chiefs at their house — and embarrassed them in front of a national audience. But the chop is a great tradition in a world that is hell bent on getting ridding itself of history and tradition.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

28 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I'm curious. Who is this Dan Schneider fellow? And when did he buy the Washington Football Team from Dan Snyder?

I don't think there's anything nefarious with the Seminole war chant.. or the Chiefs tomahawk chop

It's just something stupid to get the fans in the game.. I really don't think there's anything nefarious behind

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

He Removed the name after years of pressure... Let's be real he did not want to change it

He stated a hundred times I will never change the name.. he folded because pressure  

Distancing yourself from a racist owner and actually disliking the name are completely different I think.. Schneider always wanted to keep the name he just fell to pressure

He changed the name after his organization was getting buried under a mountain of crap as a distraction.

1 minute ago, NY Nole said:

I feel really sorry for anyone that needs to play the racism card for anything they either dislike or don’t understand. There is nothing inclusive about cancel culture mentality to exclude all things they deem offensive. It’s time to grow the hell up and stop feeding into the narrative of racism. Funny how a quick scan of the crowds at FSU games and KC games would show that black people, white people and native Americans all participate in the chop. Football (sports) are a way to bring people together — but that doesn’t work for those content to divide rather than unite.

BTW — the Bills shout song is offensive to many too but it doesn’t make it racist. I’m glad we beat the chiefs at their house — and embarrassed them in front of a national audience. But the chop is a great tradition in a world that is hell bent on getting ridding itself of history and tradition.

Who is the Shout Song offensive to and for what reasons?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

I just mean it's an example of using a group of people as a mascot. I'm not offended. I'm not suggesting anyone is. Cleveland dropped the Indians because of cartoonish Chief Wahoo. But is "Indians" as a team name inherently racist? Many think so. I'm not so sure.

Well, one might argue the term Indian is a bit racist, but actually  just probably more on the stupid side. But it isn't as clearly racist as "Redskin", IMO. I'd agree Braves isn't in the same league at all. Then again, I'm not a native American. I think if you want to know if a term is offensive to a group, you ask the people in those groups. 

Still, I have to wonder why, a group of European Americans would chose to use a name completely removed from their culture/heritage. I'm guessing there were/are far more Irish people involved with Notre Dame sports than their Native Americans on any of the teams which borrow from their culture. I'm guessing a team called the Cowboys, from Texas, Oklahoma, etc, probably has had more than a few actual cowboys involved in their organization. Plus I don't think cowboys find the term Cowboy even remotely offensive.

Finally, one can recognize something as likely  "offense" without taking offense to it. 

7 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I think it's all how it's used

If you walk up to a native and say hey redskin.. that's obviously very offensive

But natives used red ochre as war paint for a thousand years.. they have historical context painting their skin red... And referencing it 

If Dan Schneider said the Washington Redskins represent, The pride of native American warriors... And their history I don't see anything wrong with that

How often do you think the term "Redskin" has ever been used in a complimentary fashion, not including when it refers to a sports team?  Or even including them, for that matter.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.