Chiefs Chant Before Game

cv05

5 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Personally, I could live without the chant and the chop. They're both stupid.

Yeah, but when you put the two together…….

…….you get something really stupid! 

We’ve been to some FSU games in Tallahassee. I’m with Bill Burr on this one. It’s like the train horn. The first time isn’t THAT annoying, but after a while it wears my arse out!  Make it STOP! 

• Like (+1) 2

To be honest, until last night, I actually thought that chant belonged to the Atlanta Braves. 

As a little kid, I went to a lot of Rangers games and thought "Let's go Rangers" da da da da da was unique too until I noticed that just about every team does that -- still. 

Then I learned "My Country Tis of Thee" is the exact same melody as "God Save the Queen" and our national anthem has the same melody as a British drinking song. 

Our own Bills fight song — whose time has long past IMO — is the ripped-off melody of the famous Isley Bros song. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Just in Atlanta said:

To be honest, until last night, I actually thought that chant belonged to the Atlanta Braves. 

As a little kid, I went to a lot of Rangers games and thought "Let's go Rangers" da da da da da was unique too until I noticed that just about every team does that -- still. 

Then I learned "My Country Tis of Thee" is the exact same melody as "God Save the Queen" and our national anthem has the same melody as a British drinking song. 

Our own Bills fight song — whose time has long past IMO — is the ripped-off melody of the famous Isley Bros song. 

I thought it belonged to Florida state lol 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, Just in Atlanta said:

They do the chop, but I think the chant may be a little different. Equally stupid, though.

6 minutes ago, Rico said:

Stupid and racist.

Dictionary.com:

RACIST: "a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human racial groups determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to dominate others or that a particular racial group is inferior to the others."

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Just in Atlanta said:

Dictionary.com:

RACIST: "a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human racial groups determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to dominate others or that a particular racial group is inferior to the others."

When one appropriates another race's culture and misinterprets its rituals to the point where many members of the race are offended, it's a pretty good sign that one thinks of that race as inferior.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Eyeroll 5
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

When one appropriates another race's culture and misinterprets its rituals to the point where many members of the race are offended, it's a pretty good sign that one thinks of that race as inferior.

I know plenty of native Americans who liked the name Washington Redskins because they thought it honored them .. and they were glad to be represented in the NFL

Not to mention that many natives actually painted their faces red with ocher for a thousand years.. it's historical

But Cancel culture is coming for everything 

If Dan Schneider was out bashing native Americans week in and week out it would be distasteful..but he's always been respectful about it and said it's about pride 

I don't think there's anything nefarious with the Seminole war chant.. or the Chiefs tomahawk chop

It's just something stupid to get the fans in the game.. I really don't think there's anything nefarious behind

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 5

The broadcast segued from a very very serious discussion about a 2011 email that might possibly be construed as racist to 70,000 chanting a way that clearly makes a mockery of Native Americans.  But hey consistency is not particularly important in 2021 social justice warfare. 

Edited by Chaos
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

20 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

I appreciate your comment. I see it more of honoring the culture. I wonder can we say the same about Michigan State Spartans or the USC Trojans?  Would Greek people be offended? I don’t think so, it’s honoring their culture. IMHO. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Dislike 1

8 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I know plenty of native Americans who liked the name Washington Redskins because they thought it honored them .. and they were glad to be represented in the NFL

Not to mention that many natives actually painted their faces red with ocher for a thousand years.. it's historical

If Dan Schneider was out bashing native Americans week in and week out it would be distasteful..but he's always been respectful about it and said it's about pride

Do you have some black friends too?

Jesus, you’re so enlightened.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

6 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Considering that the original owner & founder of the team was a flaming racist, I doubt he named them to honor anyone.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Preston_Marshall

As a result of a "gentlemen's agreement" promoted by Marshall, NFL teams did not sign black players until 1946, when two teams broke the agreement. Marshall refused to do so, claiming that integrating the team would cause the team to lose fans in the Southern United States and his team was at the time the southernmost team in the NFL.[15][16] He said that "We'll start signing Negroes when the Harlem Globetrotters start signing whites."[5]

His refusal to integrate was routinely mocked by Shirley Povich, a columnist for The Washington Post, who called him "one of pro football’s greatest innovators, and its leading bigot."[17] Marshall unsuccessfully sued Povich for $200,000 after a critical article.[18]

Marshall downplayed the issue of integration, saying "I am surprised that with the world on the brink of another war they are worried about whether or not a ***** is going to play for the Redskins" and doubted that "the government had the right to tell the showman how to cast the play." Marshall had a long-running feud with Redskins shareholder Harry Wismer, who favored integration.[5]

In 1962, United States Secretary of the Interior Stewart Udall and Attorney General of the United States Robert F. Kennedy issued an ultimatum: unless Marshall signed a black player, the government would revoke the Redskins' 30-year lease on D.C. Stadium (later known as RFK Memorial Stadium), which had been paid for by government money and was owned by the city government. [19]

Marshall selected Ernie Davis, Syracuse University's All-American running back, as his top draft choice in the 1962 NFL Draft. However, Davis refused to play for the team, and was traded to the Cleveland Browns for All-Pro Bobby Mitchell, who became the first African American to play a game for the Redskins.[20] Marshall became an enthusiastic supporter of Mitchell.[3] The Redskins only had three winning seasons in the 23 years between the 1946 integration of the NFL and Marshall's death in 1969.[18][5] On a television show, Oscar Levant asked Marshall if he was anti-Semitic, to which he responded: "Oh no, I love Jews, especially when they're customers."[5]

In June 2020, a statue of Marshall was removed from the grounds of RFK Stadium after it was defaced and vandalized following the George Floyd protests.[21] The same month, Marshall's name was also removed from the team's Ring of Fame at FedExField, [13] with the team also deleting all references to him on their website and removing his name from the history wall at the team’s training facility in Ashburn, Virginia.

4 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Considering that the original owner & founder of the team was a flaming racist, I doubt he named them to honor anyone.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Preston_Marshall

As a result of a "gentlemen's agreement" promoted by Marshall, NFL teams did not sign black players until 1946, when two teams broke the agreement. Marshall refused to do so, claiming that integrating the team would cause the team to lose fans in the Southern United States and his team was at the time the southernmost team in the NFL.[15][16] He said that "We'll start signing Negroes when the Harlem Globetrotters start signing whites."[5]

His refusal to integrate was routinely mocked by Shirley Povich, a columnist for The Washington Post, who called him "one of pro football’s greatest innovators, and its leading bigot."[17] Marshall unsuccessfully sued Povich for $200,000 after a critical article.[18]

Marshall downplayed the issue of integration, saying "I am surprised that with the world on the brink of another war they are worried about whether or not a ***** is going to play for the Redskins" and doubted that "the government had the right to tell the showman how to cast the play." Marshall had a long-running feud with Redskins shareholder Harry Wismer, who favored integration.[5]

In 1962, United States Secretary of the Interior Stewart Udall and Attorney General of the United States Robert F. Kennedy issued an ultimatum: unless Marshall signed a black player, the government would revoke the Redskins' 30-year lease on D.C. Stadium (later known as RFK Memorial Stadium), which had been paid for by government money and was owned by the city government. [19]

Marshall selected Ernie Davis, Syracuse University's All-American running back, as his top draft choice in the 1962 NFL Draft. However, Davis refused to play for the team, and was traded to the Cleveland Browns for All-Pro Bobby Mitchell, who became the first African American to play a game for the Redskins.[20] Marshall became an enthusiastic supporter of Mitchell.[3] The Redskins only had three winning seasons in the 23 years between the 1946 integration of the NFL and Marshall's death in 1969.[18][5] On a television show, Oscar Levant asked Marshall if he was anti-Semitic, to which he responded: "Oh no, I love Jews, especially when they're customers."[5]

In June 2020, a statue of Marshall was removed from the grounds of RFK Stadium after it was defaced and vandalized following the George Floyd protests.[21] The same month, Marshall's name was also removed from the team's Ring of Fame at FedExField, [13] with the team also deleting all references to him on their website and removing his name from the history wall at the team’s training facility in Ashburn, Virginia.

Yeah but Dan Schneider's not the original owner... You can't blame him for somebody else's faults a long time ago

Buffalo Bill Cody was a civil war  scout and fought in the Indian wars , killed native Americans.. he scalped a chief... The Buffalo Bills don't honor Bill Cody

It's just our name 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.