Sign Levi Wallace

MarlinTheMagician

55 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

I wouldn't re-sign him. He's a valuable starter for us because he is cheap and tackles well. You don't have to pay that type of player, you pay your playmakers. Draft replacement for CB2

This. I have always been a big Levi defender. But in this zone heavy defense, I think you can get a draft pick to fill in at CB2. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, That's No Moon said:

It's going to get to the point where you can't pay everyone. You dont pay Robin. You pay Batman. Wallace is Robin.

During the off-season, we had three guys who could have left as free agents. Most of us (including me) thought we could sign one, maybe two if we were lucky. Beane said, "Hold my beer" and signed all three.

If Levi is happy with his role and he likes where the team is headed, he may take less than what the open market will pay. Remember all those FAs who signed with NE because they wanted a ring, even though they could have made more somewhere else? Now that the Bills are serious contenders, we'll get quality players at a slight discount.

1 hour ago, clayboy54 said:

This is not going to be a popular take. Half the people here thinks he stinks.

I don't think he stinks. He's not great but very serviceable. But I think the plan for McD is he'll draft a CB in the 1st round to compliment Tre. And we won't have to pay much for several years. I like having Levi & Dane in a rotation but it's time for Sean to get his CB2.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

This. I have always been a big Levi defender. But in this zone heavy defense, I think you can get a draft pick to fill in at CB2. 

For sure, but you lose the continuity of a 3-year starter who knows the ins and outs of the scheme

Whoever we eventually draft to replace Levi it would be good if he was eased in behind him because Levi knows the system like the back of his hand

The new corner will probably be more athletic but absolutely not up to par mentally 

You can get a mentorship year, where the consummate professional, teaches the Young gun the ways of the NFL

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Going back to his time in Carolina, backfields he has coached have had one “elite” CB, a first round pick, and then on the other side was someone like Levi. 

His very 1st pick was Tre White. None of that really matters though. Looking at roster construction CB is the obvious need. OG also will get consideration. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

His very 1st pick was Tre White. None of that really matters though. Looking at roster construction CB is the obvious need. OG also will get consideration. 

Exactly, they didn’t have a true number one corner, Gilmore had just left. You could make that argument each of the last two or so off seasons about needing a CB2 to be a priority in the draft. FWIW, I would like the other CB spot to be nailed down a little more than a year to year player. I think McD will roll will Wildoogse or Jackson if Levi wants more money than Beane has allowed for. 

3 hours ago, First Round Bust said:

good debate - paying Levi a FA market value, versus say drafting a CB in the first or second round and saving x amt  ???

can we pay two starting boundry CBs that much as well as what we are going to pay Taron as the NCB...hey its a passing league so why not

can you pay the DBs all that much and all those DLs that we rotate as well as Milano and Tremaine's big contract...and thats only the D !?!?!

there has to be a limit and someone is going to walk at some point

Here is my thought process on it.

The Browns took Greg Newsome with the 26th pick last year. I believe that is the point where we may pick (if Beane likes someone he would come up from 32😉). His rookie deal was 4 years $12,748,754 ($3,187,189 APY with a 5th year option). That would in my opinion be a starting point for Wallace. Beef it up a bit because he knows the scheme, has worked with all the other DBs and we know what we have in him. 

Tweek it a tad and I could see a 3 year 16.5 million offer. (5.5 million APY). Throw some incectives on it and it would be a fair deal for both sides. However I'm sure his agent would argue that Taron's new deal is the starting point. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

Not opposed to extending him, but I’d prefer Beane continue to look for an upgrade. 

Beane can do both because that’s what GMs always do.  Look for the next player.  In fairness  they’ve not been able to replace Wallace after 3 years or so and they’ve given him competition.  At some point fans have to accept the fact Wallace is a good player.

Beane is a big draft and develop your own guy (Wallace was a UDFA). It will be interesting to see how he handles Wallace. He sure seems comfortable with him (rightfully so, IMO) based in the past couple drafts.

Edited by Beast

Levi Wallace is the quintessential starting player on a Super Bowl winning team that another team that is rebuilding and flush with cap space will over pay to sign.  (I hope we are dealing with that issue next year)  He is a solid CB2 and works great in Frazier's system.  I hope we can keep him but you can never blame a guy for signing a big money contract and setting up himself and family for life.

4 hours ago, clayboy54 said:

This is not going to be a popular take. Half the people here thinks he stinks.

Half the people here are wrong on a lot of things too.  

Levi is having a very good season so far though, and its not even up to debate.  I hope they find a way to keep, and I think they will.  

• Like (+1) 1

I can see both sides of this. Bills free up space next year so extending Levi doesn’t give me any concern. If they decide to draft a CB it’s never bad to have depth. There’s also something to be said for keeping your players that are performing. It’s crazy to look at the roster now as Beane has done a great job. Getting harder and harder to make the roster. I could see the Bills drafting a C ((Tyler Lindenbaum Iowa) if he were there.  TE depth or OG. Otherwise the roster is stacked. Great problem to have.

1 hour ago, QB Bills said:

Dane Jackson is better than him. Let Levi give up deep passes and take stupid PI penalties somewhere else.

Not sure where you are getting this from.  The fact you said Dane is better than him suggests to me that you haven't watched or paid attention to Levi's play this season very much.  He's been very good and all year.  And furthermore, if Dane was better then I am pretty sure he would have won the job in camp or taken over during the season so far.  But given he has not, I don't think you can accurately say he is better.

And no disrespect, people need to let the one play in week 1 go.  First of all, he had excellent coverage on the play and Ben threw a terrible pass that was way short, otherwise there would not have even been any contact.  Like the whole season, Levi had excellent coverage on the play, just unfortunate Ben woefully under threw the ball causing Chase to try and jump back and into Levi to get it, and it was Chase the instigated the contact not Levi.

Not sure why everyone always wants to take one play and then somehow paint that players entire season/career as if its been a reoccurring issue.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

It's going to get to the point where you can't pay everyone. You dont pay Robin. You pay Batman. Wallace is Robin.

So Robin works for free? Seriously?

I'm guessing Wallace would be amendable to a reasonable #2 CB contract. If not, then of course you don't overspend to sign him. But I'm thinking they can get him on a 2-3 year deal, and draft a CB to eventually take his place.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.