A few Thoughts about the Chiefs Game, in no particular order

Virgil

Agree overall with comments

WRT #8 Replacements    Klein did play very well.  Considering Tenn is run first team which plays well into Klein's strength,s I'd play him again this week so Milano gets an extra two weeks of rest with the bye coming up.

One drop by Knox and people here will be calling for Knox to be fired!

Not really an observation on this game specific, but seems the NFL is not doing their normal annual Pink Breast cancer October event?  They do seem to be more just recognizing all cancers?   Not that there's anything wrong with that, just a change made??

15 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

This point makes me wonder: does defensive dominance LOOK different in 2021 than it has previously?

The Bills defense is absolutely shutting teams down (and yes, holding the Chiefs to 20 at home qualifies). But they're not doing it with a ferocity or physicality or schematic aggressiveness that iconic defenses have historically displayed. Maybe 2021 defensive dominance involves putting "a lid" on explosive offenses and playing disciplined and opportunistic defense underneath? 

I agree with that quite a bit. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Bray Wyatt said:

I havent seen people mention it, or maybe I just missed it, but I thought a big part of Mahomes being off was how many times our guys were able to hit him. Even when he was running, it seemed every time he was touched he was whining to the refs. I think this impacted him a bunch. So it wasnt just pressure and sacks, but the hits that added up.

I don't think Mahomes got hit as much as Josh did.   I think Mahomes was frustrated everytime his favorite receivers were blanketed....I think Chiefs made the same mistake as what we did last year...they did not take what was available and kept going for the big plays...May be the big crowd,  the matchup and a Sunday nighter to boot made their adrenaline high and forced them to go for heroic plays rather than the mundane plays....

• Like (+1) 1

I won't quote the post to save space but this is your best one ever Virg :)

5 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

I don’t…they were clearly trying to send a message against the Chiefs. Guys were getting extra stuck in, pads were popping. It was a very physical display on defense. 

I really noticed that the Bills were very aggressive and finishing every hit and playing hard.

These guys meant business and I loved it :) 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Agree overall with comments

WRT #8 Replacements    Klein did play very well.  Considering Tenn is run first team which plays well into Klein's strength,s I'd play him again this week so Milano gets an extra two weeks of rest with the bye coming up.

One drop by Knox and people here will be calling for Knox to be fired!

Not really an observation on this game specific, but seems the NFL is not doing their normal annual Pink Breast cancer October event?  They do seem to be more just recognizing all cancers?   Not that there's anything wrong with that, just a change made??

It’s been at least 3 years since they transitioned to crucial catch.  

15 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Agree about Diggs - thought he had his worst game as a Bill.  On the deep pass he could’ve scored but he somehow forgot(?) there was a defender chasing him and slowed down.  He dropped a pass on third down and otherwise had trouble separating.  Just not sure what was going on with him.

The focus by every defense so far has been to shut Diggs down.  They're willing to let Beasley nickle & dime them but they want to eliminate the big play and those 15 - 20 yard shots to Diggs.  But with the emergence of Sanders & Knox as big play guys opposing defenses are going to have to ease off Diggs a bit.  Mark my words, big games are in the future for #14.

As an aside didn't Diggs get off to a bit of a slow start last season even when Allen was throwing for all those yards?

1 hour ago, ganesh said:

I don't think Mahomes got hit as much as Josh did.   I think Mahomes was frustrated everytime his favorite receivers were blanketed....I think Chiefs made the same mistake as what we did last year...they did not take what was available and kept going for the big plays...May be the big crowd,  the matchup and a Sunday nighter to boot made their adrenaline high and forced them to go for heroic plays rather than the mundane plays....

Josh is used to getting hit, Mahomes not so much which is why I think it effected him more

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/11/2021 at 12:27 PM, The Wiz said:

Regarding #5, Sal said this morning he's the first QB in a decade to pass for 300+ yards on 15 or less attempts.

Last one was Josh Freeman for Tampa.

Not to nit pick, but on 15 completions.  Freeman also went 15-26 (although our Josh should have been 18-26) and also against the Chefs.

On 10/11/2021 at 1:05 PM, Just in Atlanta said:

Great reporting, as usual. 

My extra take:

When Rousseau's near, you can feel the offense feeling his presence. When he wraps you, he takes you down a second quicker than other defenders. He positively engulfed the Chiefs skill players a few times.

My God, Mahomes cries a lot. Not sure if this is his MO or if he was desperate. 

Teams going for it on fourth - what a sign that our offense is (still) explosive but (now) also diverse.

Our D line never looked out of gas, even chasing Mahomes all over the place. We now have strength and depth defensively. 

I normally like Collinsworth but he got on my nerves, as well as the nerves of most Bills fans last night. In addition to his bad hot takes he also applauded Dawkins, who is well known statistically to be the worst lineman in the league during the first four games.

Those flags! But it not just against the Bills. That roughing the passer call for Allen was also BS - it took away a Chiefs INT and you could argue the calls were worse against the Chiefs. These control freaks really need to chillax a bit and let them play the game. Wasn't there supposed to be more relaxing around holding this year?

Allen would not be denied in the fourth. You could see it in his eyes. 

We have the No. 1 team in the AFC and there should be little debate. How cool is that?

Is this true?  If so, it's most likely a lingering result of getting a pretty severe case of COVID.

17 hours ago, Buddo said:

The other one was more obvious, and to me, it's the act of grabbing the arm that does it, it's deliberate and in no way counts as 'hand fighting' for example, or just contact when both players are going for the football.

Diggs needed to sell it more. He should have theatrically ripped his arm away and looked at the ref like he can't believe the DB just held his arm down like that. It sounds silly but that kind of stuff works, especially for #1 WRs.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/11/2021 at 4:14 PM, Motorin' said:

It's week ***** 5 of a 17 game season. 

Exactly. I wouldn’t say the Bills don’t control their own destiny because they have an AFC loss. A bit early to think of it in such terms with 12 games to go. I don’t think the Bills and Bolts will both win out at this point. 

20 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

I don’t…they were clearly trying to send a message against the Chiefs. Guys were getting extra stuck in, pads were popping. It was a very physical display on defense. 

Yes, the Bills hit and Poyer continues to impress me the most on the D in that department, but the modern shut-down effort doesn't include the head-hunting safeties and QB hits of the past.  I'll agree that the Bills were physical relative to a modern standard, but a dominating defensive performance just looks different in 2021 than in 1981.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.