A few Thoughts about the Chiefs Game, in no particular order

Virgil

8 minutes ago, cwater10 said:

Do I remember Josh Freeman as a Bill for something like 1 game or was that a just a very strange bad dream to have?

I think you are thinking of Josh Johnson.  The Bills tried to sign Josh Freeman, who ended up signing with the Vikes mid-season and failing.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Great write up as usual Virgil. Collinsworth kept trying to pin our success on the fact that Chris Young didn’t play, and finally, after he said it at least 20 times, Al Michaels pointed out that the Bills were without Milano and still played well. (I’m not sure Collinsworth knew who Milano was, based on his reaction). 

• Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Arkady Renko said:

I think you are thinking of Josh Johnson.  The Bills tried to sign Josh Freeman, who ended up signing with the Vikes mid-season and failing.

So my subconscious had a wrong Josh nightmare, the prequel?  The drought was tougher on me than I thought.

• Haha (+1) 1

Collinsworth also called Josh Allen mediocre in his first 2 seasons.  Inconsistent, jumpy, exciteable, sure, but he has never been mediocre while in a Buffalo uniform

Just now, buffaloboyinATL said:

Great write up as usual Virgil. Collinsworth kept trying to pin our success on the fact that Chris Young didn’t play, and finally, after he said it at least 20 times, Al Michaels pointed out that the Bills were without Milano and still played well. (I’m not sure Collinsworth knew who Milano was, based on his reaction). 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Virgil said:

2 - The Drive - There are so many plays to highlight in this game, but the last touchdown drive was by far the biggest standout to me that encompassed everything in this game.  Up by 11 and coming off a Chiefs touchdown, the Bills needed to kill some clock and drive the dagger into the Chiefs soul.  The Chiefs were prepared for the run and unleashed the blitzes.  Almost as if he had their playbook, Daboll called a masterful set of plays to counter anything being thrown at him.  If they blitzed, we called a quick pass to the opposing side.  If they stacked the box, we ran to the outside.  The icing on the cake was on first down inside the 20 when everyone assumed run, but Josh threw an absolute dart into a tight window to Sanders for a touchdown.  Not only was the play calling great, but the execution was perfect.  The Chiefs stacked 10 in the box at times and we were still able to run right through them.  When's the last time we could say that?  The drive was all about the Bills as an organization imposing their will against the reigning AFC champions on prime time to put everyone on notice.

This was so impressive.  How great was it to see The Bills on the delivering end of one of those answers?  The look on Mahomes face from the sideline revealed so much about the moment.

• Like (+1) 1

• Virgil's day after posts have a nice tone and tenor.  Thanks.
  • For Buffalo not to reestablish it's defensive identity would actually be surprising for a McDermott team.  I enjoy a smothering defense as much as I enjoy the 300+ yard passing performances.
  • Allen looked confident and played smart - especially considering the weather conditions.  No back foot throws and held onto the ball. 
  • With an emerging Knox, Buffalo finally crosses the threshold where there are just too many threats for opposing defenses to handle.  
  • Poyer had a nice hit later in the game.   He consistently hits which I love because a "finesse defense" scares nobody.  I think you're still allowed to hit and intimidate without going full on Bill Romanowski or Vontaze Burfict (??).  
  • Bleeding the clock with effective runs when you're playing with a lead later in the game is a beautiful thing.  Each 1st down is just crushing to the opponent. 
  • Like (+1) 3

Great reporting, as usual. 

My extra take:

When Rousseau's near, you can feel the offense feeling his presence. When he wraps you, he takes you down a second quicker than other defenders. He positively engulfed the Chiefs skill players a few times.

My God, Mahomes cries a lot. Not sure if this is his MO or if he was desperate. 

Teams going for it on fourth - what a sign that our offense is (still) explosive but (now) also diverse.

Our D line never looked out of gas, even chasing Mahomes all over the place. We now have strength and depth defensively. 

I normally like Collinsworth but he got on my nerves, as well as the nerves of most Bills fans last night. In addition to his bad hot takes he also applauded Dawkins, who is well known statistically to be the worst lineman in the league during the first four games.

Those flags! But it not just against the Bills. That roughing the passer call for Allen was also BS - it took away a Chiefs INT and you could argue the calls were worse against the Chiefs. These control freaks really need to chillax a bit and let them play the game. Wasn't there supposed to be more relaxing around holding this year?

Allen would not be denied in the fourth. You could see it in his eyes. 

We have the No. 1 team in the AFC and there should be little debate. How cool is that?

• Like (+1) 3

42 minutes ago, Virgil said:

6.  Our defense was absolutely swarming to all plays within 10.  We let them catch it, but that was all they got.  I can't count how many gang tackles this team made.

That was the aspect of the defense that stood out the most to me. Every time they completed a short pass, there was a total swarm of Bills around the receiver.

It seemed they had no YAC as a 5 yard completion stayed a 5 yard completion and not 15 yards and a first down. Frazier called a great game, and the Bills D executed it to perfection

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, In Summary said:
  • Allen looked confident and played smart - especially considering the weather conditions.  No back foot throws and held onto the ball. 

Actually (and this is not intended to argue), I think Josh is still throwing off his back foot at times, but pulling through the throwing motion with his upper body. I am wondering if that is key the adjustment he made. In younger days, I was a college pitcher and pay attention to (albeit different) throwing motions. The second half throw to Knox is where is was most apparent to me. Maybe (I have inadequate knowledge here) his problem was not throwing off his back foot, but not following though, allowing the ball to softly sail. I could easily be wrong on this.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.