What did the chiefs do on defense?

Miyagi-Do Karate

Feels like the Bills installed a custom offense/set of plays to exploit what the Chiefs defended poorly. They ran way more two TE sets, multiple guys in the backfield. More power based running, Lamar/Ravens style triple option stuff. Running pass plays out of tighter formations and causing major issues with busted coverage. This is not how the Bills want to beat you, but it did put up points effectively.

The fact that the Bills could do this, even remotely competently, should terrify other teams. This team is starting to do that really frustrating chameleon stuff old NE teams used to do where you have no idea what the hell they’re gonna do on offense. The amount of stuff the Bills put on tape today should be keeping DC’s up at night.

I think the bills offense as a whole is a situation where the statistics tell you the truth about how good it is in your eyes lie because it doesn't quite look the same as it did last year in terms of the passing game. Essentially, Buffalo is taking a more balanced approach and throwing almost 10% less than they did last year so far. The results is that the running game is way way more effective than it was last season. So far Buffalo has a second best score percentage in the league on all of its drives I'm a very high number of drives they have and different players are emerging because they are showing a willingness to use different personnel groupings in addition to the three receiver formula that dominated last year. Just like the defense, the offense is truly becoming more game to game and situation to situation dependent. It's part of the reason why we are beginning to hear stories about Friday and Saturday installs and new plays all the time.

If you look at the entire game. Buffalo had 10 drives, scored on six of them and five of the six scores were touchdowns. That is best offense in the NFL drive efficiency and we can add to it that Buffalo did not have a turnover.

What I saw is that both teams really had trouble adjusting to the third quarter rainstorm after halftime. It manifested itself in some punting from Buffalo because they played to protect the ball and the Chiefs blitzed more because they knew Buffalo was going to, but the same rainstorm manifested itself in two ridiculous turnovers for Kansas City. Buffalo got a pick 6 on a ball that slipped out of hills hands and recovered a snap that slipped out of mahomes hands. The teams each got a touchdown once they both adjusted to it, and once Buffalo got the fourth quarter drive the game was over.

• Like (+1) 2

On 10/11/2021 at 11:57 AM, BADOLBILZ said:

My bigger concern on some of these drives was running into LOADED boxes on some first downs.    You gotta' audible out of those.    There was one where  KC had a blitz coming from the outside on both sides and they ran a slow developing handoff that got dropped for a loss.   The Bills had success running early,  and late, but in the middle portion of the game KC was stopping it and I thought the Bills weren't adapting.

I thought those first down carries were about nothing more than getting the clock moving. I disagreed with it at the time and just wanted them to keep running their offense, but can still see the value in it. 

On 10/11/2021 at 8:59 AM, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I don’t mean to be critical after a win, but the chiefs seem to really confuse the Bills’ offense over these last 3 meetings. We got them on some big plays last night, but the offense seemed out of rhythm all night. 

Coming into the game, we heard that their Run D was terrible And that they give up a lot of passing in the intermediate area. But the Bills didn’t run the ball great, and didn’t find success in the intermediate area. Diggs and Beasley were non-factors outside of the Diggs bomb. 

I must of been watching the wrong game. The game I watched the Bills had 436 total yards. 121 of those were from the run game on 28 carries. I'm not putting much stock in "rhythm" when the team is dealing with a hostile road game environment in bad inclement weather. And a game delay of over an hour to boot. 

I think they played ok. JMO of course.

Edited by billsbackto81

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.